Chapter 5a - Of Ancient Days and Long Lost Nights

awesome!!

The shadow-phantasms all dissapear as soon as you cast your spell. All except one, which is not a phantasm nor is it Metron. You have captured some sort of shadow being in your ice. Probably won't hold for long, you just surprised the thing while it was maintaining a solid form. Metron, the sneaky bastard, was gonna have the creature try to whack you while he distracted you with multicast shadow phantasms of himself.

Quick decision: what do you do now?

Vares speaks quickly, "Octavian, Ludoviccio appeared here through some manner of tunnel. What I sensed on the other side--is a deeper part of the Magic Realm. An abstract. Almost like he found the Light and Shapes of the Cave."

He surmises, "Ludoviccio, you were transported here through some kind of magical accident--one that catapulted you through a deeper region. Time does not function normally here. Spells do not decay and people do not appear to age. We dealt with Erat Caecus, but he refused to join us. Whether that was before or after the event with you, I do not know."

Inigo raises his hands to the sky, prepared for battle. [color=red]Begone, creature of shadow!

He lets loose with a spell. If it can be held by ice, presumably it can be burned by fire, so he gives it a full barrage of multicasted Sun's Scorching Caress.

Getting more information about it would have been ideal, but I'm not equipped for it and I might be in danger from this thing.

Ludo pauses, drawing a deep breath and nodding after a moment. [color=red]"That makes more sense then. Crossing the Void in such a manner can tend to distort things. Perhaps, no... in all but a certainty that must be what happened. Then how long have I been missing to your reckoning then?

As Octavian speaks Ludo's ire, while not fading exactly, seems to be drawn under a much tighter control. He stands impassive for a quiet moment, straitening the front of his travelling robe and hands coming to rest on his belt. [color=red]"As I said, I went out that evening to pursue knowledge of this 'Fire Angel' rumor, which I was unable to substantiate one way or another. I suspect something, yet it is conjecture. However, as for your suspiciouns and aspersions... Magus Erat Caecus has given me no reason to believe he particularly wishes this expedition any direct ill. If he has given you such cause you should have informed me. Or did it transpire while I was in, ah, transit as it were? A transit without my intent or consent either, contrary to your assumption. Either way I think a single meeting to test the waters of an alternate and possibly less expensive means of getting us here hardly qualifies as consorting with the enemy. Your moral aspersions I feel are, ah, misplaced. To put it mildly. I am however quite amiable to any further questions you might wish to ask, if they prove reasonable. Where are the others anyway?"

Ludo pauses, drawing a deep breath and nodding after a moment. [color=red]"That makes more sense then. Crossing the Void in such a manner can tend to distort things. Perhaps, no... in all but a certainty that must be what happened. Then how long have I been missing to your reckoning then?
[/quote]
Octavian addresses the Flambeau, but he continues to face Ludovico. "Thank you master Vares. i shall make note of it for when the topic of his conveyance is of relevance to the discussion at hand."

The smile remains oddly while he breaks down Ludo's arguments. "Master Ludovico does not explain how departing with the comedian would aid him in seeking out the rumours of the Fire Angel. Particularly seeing that you do not share any common tongue and expressed much anger in his regard. furthermore, this does not excuse that you departed without advising any of us roughly 3 days ago. My moral aspersions, as master Ludovico puts it, are well placed as I direct them to him. If I had meant to target someone else I assure you, I would direct them as such. The expedition temporarily delayed its departure once your disappearance was made known and you had not returned."

His smile slowly fades. "That you have been misled by master Caecus thrice already is of concern to me only in that it endangers the success of my investigation and Andorra's efforts."

It disappears while laughing. It can't be held or burned, it is a spirit. But it can use guile to fool you for the prescious few seconds Metron needed to make good his escape. The cottage that holds his sanctum, the house you saw that seemed to radiate darkness, it goes up in flames with a powerful explosion.

It was loud, and everyone can hear it.

His eyes dart towards the sound of the noise. He states calmly. "Master Vares, Captain Alexandro. Remain here and watch over master Ludovico and make certain he does not leave here until I and master Inigo returns." He goes through the door, casting an invisibility spell on himself once he's outside, making sure to keep to the shadows (sneak) and heads towards the sound).

:smiling_imp:

Okay, your character is unaware of everything, but I will tell you anyway so it makes sense.
Metron had used one of his powers to escape into the Twilight Void through one vestige of a shadow and out of another in his sanctum. It was foolish and dangerous, I did not realize how much so until I rolled it out. He did just fine, but he could have easilly become lost in the void for all eternity. He then hid out while resetting his Parma. Then he sends out the phantasms to distract Inigo while he gathers all of his needful things, and prepares his escape. Inigo poses no serious threat to him, but Metron is likewise powerless against him. Metron was slipping through the shadows and making his way back to the Guest House, having no idea that there are more magi hanging out there. Metron is utterly invisibble in Shadows. Except he can be spotted with Second Sight, which is what Octavian does. The literally bump into each other as they are rounding the corner.

Metron looks much different than you remember. Much darker, saturated in shadow, His appearance is somewhat inhuman. But it is an all to human expression of shock on his face when he sees Octavian, a mixture of hatred and fear.

[color=red]You!!!

Initiative time. He drops his bag and prepares to cast something.

And yes, he does have Second Sight, not that it is written on his forehead or anything. One thing I forgot to mention, his eyes are pools of blackness. They were not like this originally when you knew him years ago.

Octavian doesn't waste time and immediately goes to engage a grapple. I'm at work so can't roll. I trust in your dice.

Use the roller :stuck_out_tongue:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/

Metron has a Quickness of -1. His big deadly spell, which he can fast cast, has little chance of penetration. So he will hit you with a Lancea Magica to try to take down your Parma. He cannot fast cast this (I screwed up in my design :laughing: ).

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1928863/

He rolled a 2, minus 1 equals 1. Kind of anti-climatic I suppose, but if you don't botch you get to tackle him and execute a grappling manuver. However, unless you restrict him, he still gets to cast his spell if he makes a concentration roll

Ludo's brow quirks mildly, puzzlement betrayed slightly. [color=red] "Such as 'now' perhaps?"

[OOC: The post concerning Ludo's departure with the comedian was written by Marco as an attempt to explain my departure, rather than any intent of my own... but I will continue with it to keep things IC. ]

[color=red] "You over reach yourself. I am not required to notify you of anything, or to explain the company I choose to keep any given moment so long as it is not a renounced Magus. Feel free to vote against me if you like, yet your presumptiveness stops now. As for the duration that I have been 'gone', if you were paying attention, Amicus Vares just helped us with that matter. Ah, wait... yes. For some reason you chose to exclude that from your line of thinking. Reasons of your own I am sure."

(OCC, it is actually their best guess. You disappeared and the comedian hasn't been seen since. They presume it must have involved you. Also, I assume this exchange takes place as Octavian is headed out the door. Peter Parker rule, squeeze as much dialogue in as you can between panels of action)

The moment Octavian departs Ludovico walks briskly over to a corner of the room and begins raising his Parma, in no small haste. Rising he begins casting a succession of spells both on himself and in general. [ He casts his variety of concentration duration spells, and sustaining spell, setting us repertoire as usual... to include the aforementioned spont general rego defense ward. Also, since this place is 'not' in the magic realm, then ACs work and he can also summon his retinue? If so, that will also be part of the process. If this is possible he will simply set them back up as his court and and in their usual roles. ] The procession of spells takes a decent ammount of time. [ How much I'm not sure, parma being the longest part, the rest is a quick succession of formulaic spells... but could still take decent ammount of time? ] When this is completed [ assuming no interference? ] he straitens, taking a deep breath for a restful moment, and then pulling his scarf and hood back up, making ready.

Without hesitation he moves to stand before the door, or more aptly before the captain and the guard before the door. Looking over one shoulder towards Vares he speaks softly. [color=red] "Amicus I intend to pursue this matter, I would welcome your company as I do so, yet I understand if you do not grant it."

Then, turning towards the guardsmen, his eyes harden. [color=red] "I shall be clear. You may choose, now, between those orders, and a longer and more pleasant life."

[ I'm waiting to write anything in concerning the retinue until I'm sure they are actually summoned. ]

Iniitiative: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1928865/ Total 3

Attack: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1928869/ total 9

Octavian will try to pin his arms down.

Metron's Defense total is 13
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1928947/
He steps back and avoids your tackle.

He then casts Lancea Magica using Chthonic Magic, swearing by the names of Dark Gods as he incants his spell.
PeVi10 Lancea Magica: CT +22/+31
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1928950/

His total is 39, minus 10, plus Penetration 3 (Perdo) equals 33.
Octavian has a Parma of 3 (Mentem) and a Vim score of 5, so his resistance is 20. The spell penetrates.

Metron needs to roll a SD + level + 10 for a TN of your Parma x5, or 15. He has you unless he botches...

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1928952/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1928955/

He rolled a 1, then a 4. for a total of 28.

Octavian, your Parma Magica is gone!!!!

It is your turn...

Arcane connections still function, it is just a matter of where and how. AC's do not function accross the boundary between the Magic Realm and the Mundane Realm, but they do function bebtween locations/persons that are both in the same realm. The Twilight Void (or Spirit World) is "in between" the mundane realm and magic realm. My guess is that an AC to any spirit works just as well from here as it does from the Mundane realm. However, this presumes that all your spirit retinue dissolved and went back into the spirit realm after your departure. Inside the regio here though, it does not matter.

Alexandro looks to Vares for approval, but I presume no one interferes with your casting regiment. Anything with a duration of Diameter or longer lasts indefinately as far as you can tell.

Javier, the guard with the spear, your threats are meaningless to him. But Alexandro gives him a sign to stand down. Again, he turns to Vares for his input (though Vares is not a member of Andorra, he is a Knight of Seneca).

So it seeming to be held by ice was a trick? If I had seen it was clearly incorporeal I would've used Demon's Eternal Oblivion instead. No big, I was just a little unclear.

Since Metron has disappeared, Inigo will head back to the rest of the magi.

If he arrives in time or hears a commotion, he will rush onto the scene, trying to attack Metron with spells of frost and cold to get around the ward. If he can fastcast to protect his sodales, he will do that as well (or instead).

[color=red]For House Flambeau! For Andorra!

Ludovico quirks a brow first towards Javier and then towards Alexandro. Shifting impatiently on his feet he seems to smolder in his growing anger. He takes two deliberate steps backward, settling onto his feet and finally he makes a commanding gesture with one hand, as if waving the inconvenient spearman aside. [color=red]"Arash, remove him from my way. Leave the other alone."

Arash fades into view between Ludovico and Javier with sound and indeed image like the rustling of leaves and wind, a stalwart arab knight in brightly polished lamellar armor, a pointed conical helmet, and bearing a variety of arms. His skin is a dark obsidian black, eyes a flowing green. He approaches a step then inclines his head before drawing setting his shield and spear into a 'ready' position. When he speaks the djinn's voice is a deep resounding thing, full of his earthy elemental resonance. That and a distinct arab accent. [color=green] "I would not harm you, for I respect your courage. I must however ask that you stand aside, or I will be forced to fulfill my master's command."

[color=blue]Ludo's retinue is present and assembled about him. Most prominent at this moment, aside from Arash, are Mattias and Ordobos. Those with second sight or some form of spiritual sight can perceive them.

Mattias is urging Ludo to exercise some restraint, not to be too angry too quickly, or too violent. He wants Ludo to be diplomatic, to get his way via rhetoric or logic. He should not lose sight of the fact that he still needs votes for his desired goal of joining Andorra. Ordobos is itching for a fight and excited about the sound of the explosion. In no uncertain terms he is eager at the prospect for bloodletting and not shy about it. The flaming volcanic minotaur is urging him to allow him to kill Alexandro and Javier both, as an offering to Ares, then he will raze the exterior village to the ground in a blazing glory that Olympus would take note of, and surely earn him divine ( Olympian variety ) favor and notice. Or something like that. Ludo doesn't appear to be listening to either of them just now.