Chapter 5b - The Weight in Darkness (or Wait in Darkness)

[color=red]
Interesting.
Marie. You've got it right. Go back to andorra. Once there, go to the vault, and... Nope, you wouldn't find it under all this rubble. Stick to that holy water, this may become really fun really fast.

So. What do we know of faeries? They like illusions, and pestering people. Great. They don't like Iron. Better.
Ok, I'll try to have us follow the same wall, testing them as we go with the tip of my dagger.

In the meantime, I'll just regularly hit my armor with my dagger in order to produce a metallic sound. This has 2 purposes: It may bother the faeries, maybe disrupting their magic a little, and it may help carmen to locate us all.

Marie takes a female grog along around a corner and tells her to take care of her belongings that might get lost in this.

Then she casts "Leap of homecoming".

[color=green]Carmen: [color=red]Perhaps pop is right. I am over-specialized.

Okay, new strategy.
I rest a few minutes and recuperate from Fatigue while I think.
I then walk to the very center of the hall, then face one of the walls. To be more specific, if I was facing the end that I blasted with lightning and tried to tunnel through, I turn to face the wall along my Left. I breath deep, and spontaneously cast another Perdo-Terram spell. Base 3, +1 Stone, +1 Touch; I bore a fist sized hole as deep and far as I can go. I am figuring maybe 150 feet? Math is not my friend. But the idea is that I want to create a peephole into an adjacent chamber.
If the hole leads nowhere, I rest, then do the exact same thing on the opposite wall. If I see nothing, I rest again, do the same at one end of the hall, and iff I see nothing, rest then again at the opposite far end. I figure this can take up to 15 minutes, including time for rest breaks in between. If this produces no results, I return to the exact center of the hall, sit, and contemplate my next move.

Scott,

Marie has teleported over to the other thread. I myself allow transport accross regio boundaries and do not require requisites for her clothes and such. No Requisites needed is my ruling, but the regio thing is your call. Not all regios are the same.

Anyway, I think I figured something out. Presuming my four peepholes achieve little result, I sit in the middle of the hall and rest while thinking. I tthen spont a series of low level InVi spells, taking rest breaks in between. Level 4 & 5 stuff. What is the level of Faerie Aura where I am at? Am I in a Regio? Is this wall a Regio boundary? Baes Levels of 2 or 3, R: Touch and T: Ind.

Bleh, not getting notifications again.

On the second try, your peephole detects another room a few paces away.

Scott

Hmmm...
Unfortuneatly I am saddled with this insipid custos I didn't even want alongside me and was on the verge of fainting not so long ago. Otherwise I would use "Wizard's Leap" to teleoprt into the adjacent chamber I see.

First I spont those InVi spells I mentioned previously.

You're definitely in a faerie regio, yes.

Scott

How strong of a Faerie Aura? Is it a regio?Base Level 2 to determine strength, base 3 to determine if it is a regio or not.

I think. I will look it up to make sure.

The aura is level 6--and yes, it's a regio.

Scott

Okay, here is a plan. I call chuckles the fainter over by me, stand behind me for safety. I plan to dig a tunnel to the adjacent chamber. I use PeTe to Weaken a much larger portion of rock than I could destroy. Then I use my "Blow of Mighty Thunder" spell to bash on this weakened area several times. Once I have broken through, I set chuckles the fainter to start digging. I watch him as I rest.

The SG at the moment is four-days' sleep-deprived, and can't muster a coherent reply. Stay tuned for drama tomorrow.

I guess we're going nowhere walking and bothering them with iron? Guess also my second sight failed to see the regio?

If it is a high-level regio, then Second Sight has a low chance of detecting it. But try making active use of your Sight still, concentrate and maybe spend Confidence. I am thinking we are not so much trapped in a maze as we are in between regio layers. The "maze" is the border. My theory is that transversing the maze, or portions of it, leads one between regio layers.

Yes, the Second Sight missed it....That may hint that the border into the regio involved a jump of several levels of aura.

Scott

Exactly! The ease factor is based on the difference between the two levels. A big jump like that would make it very-very difficult to detect with Second Sight. That's why I am suggesting trying Sight again, putting some umph into it. Being on the higher level will give you a slight bonus for the aura, hope for a higher roll, and spend confidence if need be. I am almost certain that perception of the regio will guide you through the maze. I might be wrong, but it can't hurt to try.

Just what I feared. I hate it when blind chance plays a role, and doesn't like to spend confidence unless absolutely nescessary.
And InVi spells are too high to spont.

Ok. Let's try it again differently.

[color=blue]The Guiding Hand (InVi 05)
Base 3, +1 conc, +1 target touch
Just like "PIERCING THE FAERIE VEIL", but this works on touch, and touch alone.

Closing my eyes, I'll try to follow the left wall with my hand on it, hoping to sense something. Once I do, I follow what should be the "right" wall (which is, of course, still the left).
I'll ask my sodales to be look out for trouble.

There is no other way to spend confidence unless it is absolutely necessary. You only spend it if the roll fails without it and would succeed with it. If the roll would fail anyway, then you don't spend anything. If the roll would succeed anyway, you also don't need to spend anything. Basically, Confidence is spent after the roll, and only if it would change the result.

That's the problem Carmen is having :slight_smile:

The spell works, but you find no boundary (you may not be close to one).

Scott

Grunt... I'll rest, cast, search, rest, cast, search... I don't see what more I could do for now. Maybe I'll have another idea later

I'm telling ya, make active use of Second Sight :slight_smile:. You are in a higher level aura, which is a slight advantage. Think of it as looking downhill from the top as opposed to looking uphil from the bottom. You get a clearer view the higher you are.