Chapter 8: At the covenant

She pours you a beer, and asks
[color=red]You seem so stressed. Why is that?

Alessio shrugs

What Reginald is asking of me - its not my place, at least not yet. He asks me to resolve matters that the magi here have had plenty of time and opportunity to deal with. I have been travelling for many months, I finally reach my destination, only to be allowed no rest and thrust into this. Not to mention he is lying to me, I don't know about what, or why, but he is being deceitful and yet is speaks only for the benefit of the village and the covenant. Prehaps I was native to think that once I reached my destination I would be allowed time to rest and collect my thoughts before standing before the judgement of the magi here.

Alessio holds the drink up to his eyes, staring into nowhere...

Or prehaps its as simple as this. Prehaps things were always this stressful, but the wine, women and song merely coloured them kindly in the evening sunsets of Venice, oh how I miss it. But times change, mistakes are made, and if luck holds, lessons are learned.

Alessio shakes his heads gently and smiles to himself, then meets Betty's eyes

I'm sorry, thats not exactly a thrilling tale.

He toasts Betty then knocks back the beer.

Imagine Betty's Latin is not as good as my English translation might make it seem..
[color=red]Ah. Well, Reggie is one of the most honorable pirates I have ever met, a rare commodity amongst those of our trade. In fact, after the changes brought on bby new groth and construction in this town, Reginald helped to convert our economy from brigandry to merchant shipping and fishing. I suppose that is the way things were back in the old days, when the magicians were an important force in the community. But we had to learn the hard way that we have to depend on ourselves, not wizards, for our welfare. The wizards, they became fewer, and eventually only the one remained. The town lacked guidance or leadership of any kind, and as they degenerated so did we. Brigandry became a way of life, a necessity for survival. A whole generation grew up this way. I am an example. But these new wizards, they brought hope and renewed prosperity. Old habbits die hard, but with Reginald's help, we have adapted and found new growth of our own. And yes, there is more to him than meets the eye. But I do not pry into his secrets.
As for the stress being placed upon you, I think you are being tested. You are doing fine so far :wink:

Eventually, Reginald returns with an old tome full of nautical charts and magic lore of the Mythic Seas.

Alessio smiles at Betty

Thanks you for such kind words.

Alessio nods to Reginald as he returns

That is quite the collection. Where do we begin?

Reginald flops open the book to a page with a local sea chart. He points to a mark he had made on the map.

[color=red]Here, to the sunken temple! The spitit of Nehelenia will tell us how to defeat Pete once and for all. I have a small light sailing vessel, follow me if you are ready for adventure!

Alessio shakes his head and smiles

Very Dramatic. So then, an adventure it is.

Alessio stands and bows slightly to Betty

Thank you for the beer

And will then let Reginald lead the way to the boat

It is a small boat, patches on the sail and many hull repairs. It looks like it can hold one man, if a second were to step aboard, you thing it would crack and sink. Yet reginald wants to take you and two other sailors, Bob and George.

[color=red]This is it! The good ship "Lonely Rita". Not another like her in the whole channel!

Alessio looks very uncretain about the boat...

Erm, not to sound ungrateful or rude, but will that....boat....even stay afloat with....

He looks around at the group of Reginald and the two others

....four of us aboard?

:smiley:
[color=red]What, you don't trust my boat? She is more seaworthy than a shark! There is not a storm that could sink her. And there is plenty of room below deck, only one cabin but there are four beds. She isn't designed for fishing or shipping, only for travel and exploration.

And some occasional Piracy.

But that's besides the point. I've had this ship for years, and it is in exactly the same condition it was when I won it. That's another story that I'll tell you later. But anyways, I have had up to nine people on board, going from Denmark to Portugal. We even got swallowed by a giant whale, and made it out intact.

Alessio raises an eyebrow but climbs aboard.

How long should this take us to reach where we are going?

[color=red]Not very long at all. She is a very fast ship. I'll introduce you to the guy who built it one day. He likes building boats and nautical devices. And he likes to gamble...

The ship does move extremly fast, yet as you witness the waters and clouds race by at increadible speed, you feel no motion or inirtia, as if the ship remained perfectly still. Then the scenery comes to a sudden stop, though the boat now feels as if it is in motion. You are drifting on a bay, the gentle waves causing the ship to bob up and down. This would be an excellent harbor, save for the boulders and jagged rocks that line the shore.

And as you look around, you see the tops of jagged rocks all over the place in the water! What a horrible harbor this would be! How did he navigate this far amongst them?

Your friend is an impressive shipwright and you seem to be an impressive navigator. So then, do we make for shore?

Alessio looks around at his surroundings and hopes he reginald doesnt expect him to go swimming...

(OOC sorry about the delay, been a little distracted...)

[color=red]The sunken temple of Nehalenia is here, beneeth these waters. As for how we are to get to it, well, you are a magus, are you not? I was hoping you would figure something out. We can't always depend on my magic ring you know :wink:

Laughung gently and shaking his head

And I thought I was implusive. A useful spell would be Lungs of the Fish, but I've never studied it and casting it on a whim will be difficult...hm...

Alessio gets more serious as he tries to think of a way to reach the sunken temple...

A qesution Reginald. Does this Sea Hag dwell within the Sunken Temple?

[color=red]No, in the temple resides a powerful spirit, one that claims to be the Roman Godess Nehelenia. It is my guess that she will provide the key to defeating the sea hag.

Erm...who said anything about "defeating" a sea hag, I was planning on having a conversation with her to find out why she is sending her undead husand to be out killing people...violence is not my way. But, as we are here, prehaps this spirit can shed some light on the sea hag none the less. What was the name of this spirit, Nehelenia?

Alessio will stand up in the small boat (at least try) and speak with a loud voice (in latin)

Nehelenia, my name is Alessio Calitori, and I would ask of an audience with you.

slaps forehead
Then mutters to Bob & George (the two sailors)...
[color=red][size=65]This will never work. The man is spineless.[/size]
Then he turns to you...
[color=red]Look, you don't seem to understand. The hag is evil, and evil things need to be destroyed to prevent them from harming innocents. Pete never married the Hag, that's why she cursed him. He is killing innocent people. Your misguided pacifism will only bring more death, and the blood will be on your hands. If I had time, I would have waited for the other magi to return and showed them my discovery. But each night that passes another innocent life is murdered. Do you understand?
The spirit lives under the sea, that is where you have to go to speak with her. But if you would rather try to "talk things out" with the Sea Hag, then I'll take you to Skull Rock right now and drop you off. I am sure the Hag will be pleased to add you to her collection of damned souls.

I mean, are you freaking serious?!?
Maybe we should just go home. This obviously isn't going to work.

Shakes head a little more seriously this time

The story you told me was one of a 'women' hurt by her only chance of happeniess, and she took vengence for that betrayal. Yes, that is evil, but to consider marriage in the beginning is not. Unless your now going to tell me that she was forcing him to marry her in the first? This world is more complicated than merely good and evil, black and white.

And merely going to down to the temple to speak with this spirit? That is no simple matter neither. No only do i need magics to allow me to breath, but also to swim with enough skill to swim between these jagged rocks down to the temple, and then to 'talk' with a spirit while underwater. Now, commiuncating may or may not be a problem, but if this spirit claims to be a Roman Goddess and has enough power to back that claim up, no magics of mine will allow mental commincation unless the spirit it willling and I certainly wouldn't be.

So, meeting her at the surface is a far easier task all round. You know the area or prehaps a little of the myths of this Roman Goddess? Know any means of making offering to her, prehaps she would then grant us an audience?

And if we cannot gain an audience, unless that 'magic ring' of yours has yet more marvelous powers within, I do suggest with go straight to this Skull Rock and see what can be done...

(OOC: Alessio is somewhat lossing paitence - but im enjoying this immensivly :smiley: )

Reginald flips through the book of charts and lore. Then he looks around the bay, and points out a spire of rock some two hundred yards distant, jutting a few feet above the water.
[color=red]There! According to the text, there should be a spire of rock called "Sea Dog's Chapel". Here, look at this entry...

Here is a cool link for reference

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalennia