Chapter 9: The hunt for Priscus Ex Merinita

Why half the total for a formulaic spell? And yes, of course he took the token.

My misstake... The spell goes off without trouble.

Mariella walks into the now open laboratory , looking around carefully for mundane traps . So far she has not seen anything to fear magically.
(The gas cloud would not have penetrated my parma magica)

OCC
I am not entirely sure that Fumidius could be carrying an Aegis token, I am sure he was when he was in human form , however to shapeshift to mist form and take the token with him would require a terram requisite which is 0 so knocking a big chunk off his casting total , I don't think he can transform to mist carrying any object. However On with the story

oh, yes. You are right.

The laboratory inside is a pretty standard laboratory with no modifications that can give an obvious insights into the owners magical preferences. There is a spell circle, a few book chests, a scriptiorium and other laboratory equipment. There are also two doors on the opposing wall.

Leaving the detailed searching for later Mariella decides to check the nearest of the 2 doors first counting on her protective spell to prevent harm from mundane weapons and her parma to stop any more spells. She walks up to the door and opens it, if the door is locked she destroys it with a perdo rotting spell

Tyrion has previously suggested that he barter with Iacob for books and other possible inter-covenant trades while the others look into the lab. If that is not happening, then he will begin searching the lab for notes and other paper-based clues.

The doors lead to a privy and a bedroom and neither are locked. The privy seems to be enchanted with some form of waste disposal and the bedroom is quite empty. However the lab is full of clues that there has been some work going on and there are stains of ink as if someone had been writing but it seems as if the documents have been removed so that no clues are available out in the open. There is not a large amount of ash in any fireplaces so perhaps there are documents somewhere. Unless there are any hidden chambers so compartments to store documents then the chest are the only place to store and document. In the privy Mariella notices a pamphlet proclaiming that Jürgen Ex Miscellanea makes just as good items as any Verditus and at half the price.

Tatiana carefully starts tapping walls and measuring furniture for hidden compartments. It is the only clues that they will get on what the man was really involved with. She hopes to find something, anything that will give them help. There might be hidden chambers as well and she will try to find them. "which of the fae had the most to do with him. They might be able to tell us more about what is going on?"

Tyrion, distracted by the incredulous and obviously innaccurate claims of Jurgen ex Miscellanea, makes a noise of surprise at the suggestion that there are fae actually inside the covenant.

Tossing aside the blatantly incorrect pamphlet (and noting to himself that he will need to track down this Jurgen ex Misc), Tyrion turns his attention to the chests. If they're locked, he toss a Crystal Dart at the locking mechanism. (His casting tool for this is the banded agate stone in a ring on his primary pointer finger).

The passage of his dart leaves a whisper of striated smoke behind it, which quickly dissipates.

Tatiana does not notice anything odd and as Tyrion knocks open the chest another magical trap unleashes. The air within the chamber turns into a thick black smoke of the unhealthiest nature. Before you can think “whops” there are smoke right in front of you.

This is yet another magical trap and it is a MuAu effect lv. 20 with a penetration of 20 plus roll. Fast cast counter measures are of course possible.

Penetration roll vs. Tatiana 10 invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3258280/ ; total penetration 30
Penetration roll vs. Mariella 8 invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3258282/ ; total penetration 28
Penetration roll vs. Tyrion 8 invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3258283/ ; total penetration 28
Penentration roll vs. Ardath 2 invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3258285/ ; total penetration 28

The spell does +4 damage and will last for a diameter. Armour does not protect.

OOC: Forgot the gorram door was trapped before. Oops. Sorry, guys.

Tyrion has a whopping magic resistance vs Auram of 5, so 28 penetrates. He has a Sta +1 for a Soak +1, and is Size -2, with the associated damage range. Not sure how magic damage (really, any damage) is dealt. If that's an attack advantage of 23, it's entirely possible that Tyrion is dead.

o.O

Mariella reacts with a fast cast PeVi effect aiming to reduce the penetration of the spell (I would need a PeAu to completely counter the spell and I cannot manage that)
Pe 15 +3 puissant + 8 Vim +4? Aura total 30 10 fast cast
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3259908/
total 22
level 11 spell
Range Touch Duration diamater target Room (Reduces Penetration of spell effects by (lvl -5)/2 reduces penetration to 25 vs mariella, Ardeth an Tyrion 27 vs Tatiana
That is resisted by Mariella's Parma Magica
OCC
I would have .opened the chest shortly anyway

The way spell damage works is that it does 1d10+4 damage vs Soak roll which for you is 1d10+1, penetration is never and attack advantage

If there is any poison gas left, Fumidus will quickly cast his formulaic spell "Move the Cloud" to get it out of the way safely.

ooc: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3262571/

6 + aura + 1 mastery + 2 sta + 13 Mu + 10 Au + 10 smoke focus -10 fast cast + 2 loud and extreme gestures = 34
with a parma of three and auram 10, he is unkilely to be affected unless penetration beats 25.

The poison gas spell is continually turning air into poisonous gas so moving it out of the chamber is impossible.

If Fumidus Parma works, he will strike up a conversation with the smoke. He will complement it on how poisonouis it is and then try to engage in small talk leading to inquiries about the sanctum and Priscus.

ooc: speak with air formulaic spell - mastered
Com 0, Pre 1, Intrigue 1, charm 3

Mariella checks that our Sodali are either sheltered by their Parma magica or have fled the poison gas. She helps anyone who is not protected to leave, remembering she only has a diameter before the spell overwhelms her parma magica.
She then returns and touching the chest the poison gas is originating from she attempts to break the spell

Using the guideline for dispelling a specific effect at range touch she can dispel an effect of Spell level +3 magnitudes of a specific hermetic combination (CrAu) in this case
Pe 15+3 Vi 8+ aura 3? +sta 1 = 30
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3271617/
for a total of 37/2 = Lvl 18 spell sufficient to dispel a level 33 spell

Fumidus looks shocked: "Hey, you are killing it. It's a very attractive smoke formation, a masterwork, a real beauty!"

ooc: I thinkl it is a good idea to get rid of the cloud. But my character is a smoke fanatic, so I wanted to sharpen his character profile...

Tatiana is totally caught by surprise and the gas is more powerful than her parma can resist however she is a strong sort that it is not more than a very painful inconvenience before she is totally out of the room and trying to figure out how to contain the gas.

She considers trying to unravel it but sees Mariella is doing that and Mariella is better than she is.

OOC magic resistance 21 vs auram. IF I am correct: Device pentration is fixed value. Not value + roll. So if it is penetration 20, that means straight 20, not 20+roll so she should resist, otherwise she fails to resist so soak would be:

roll +2 = 10 (so if the d10+4 damage is 10 or less, no damage)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274042/

That said, gas started to appear, Tatiana would try to get out, she is not out in first round since she botched initiative

Init: Qik 1 + finesse 3 + quick cast +1 = 5+stress = 5+botch, she is very slow.
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274032/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274033/

Casting
Wizard's leap: CT 32+roll+aura-10 fast cast+ wounds=22+2+aura+(0 or -1 depending on wound of first round of gas). It will go off to get her out of the door only after smoke affects her.
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3274031/