Chapter 9: The Man with the Golden Scythe

Halvard nods.

I think someone of your talents is sorely needed here. If my soldaes agree to your petition, I would urge you to learn the French language as quickly as possible so we do not rely on translators to deal with the locals.

Yes,if I were to stay, learning the language would be good thing...

Alessio seems to pause as he remebers one evening at Betty's...

Iolar
"With Roberto and Wirth we are not short of warriors to defend our covenant, what we are short of is people who can solve our financial or Vis supply problems. Alessio may be able to help with this and with several of the magi leaving we are not oversupplied with magi . Let us see how he does at here , but if he seduces the Queen of Flanders , we throw him out fast.

OOC I know there is no such thing as a queen of flanders but Iolar does not she just remembers some important noblewomen

[color=red]As I was trying to tell you; not all conflicts are physical and not all weapons need be direct. The pen can be as mighty as the sword in many ways, and the Art of Mentem is one of the strongest weapons a magus may have (which is an ironic thing to say, considering how I was so adamant about avoiding a Mentem virtue/flaw not long ago)[color=red]. You have led a frivolous life until now, and your hardship on the road was in truth a blessing from God. For now you have learned that you must work to earn your luxuries. Not all service is military, but service is required in order for a covenant to grow hale and strong.
You have skill as am author and scribe? Excellent! We could certainly use tractati. And Lab Texts (ooc - since copying Lab Texts is technically a Lab Activity (though it doesn't require a lab), I have always ruled that this cannot be performed by mundane scribes)[color=red]. Perhaps you could create a tome copying from the spells currently in our library, and using your social skills, travel to another local covenant to exchange this tome for the right to copy spells from their library.
Provide this service for us, and you shall have my support and my gratitude.
In fact, knowing that this would require two seasons of effort, I offer my assistance. We can travel together, and you use your political skills to make the arrangements for a season of scribal hospitality. I will spend the season writing out my own Lab Texts in a grimoire that we give to our hosts in exchange for your being able to spend that season copying lab texts from their library into a tome.

We got off on the wrong foot earlier. It will give us the chance to start over again and time to get to know each other :wink:.

Alessio will look pleased, more so that Roberto is willing to let me makes amends for overstepping things eariler

That sounds more than reasonable. Thank you. I assume you would have a covenant in mind in which to travel to?

I have no idea. Whatever plays into the plot of the story :mrgreen:

Aelianus scratches his chin and then speaks. I think that we should welcome you into our covenant as a junior magus. I think that we have a lab somewhere for you to take over. If no one opposes Alessio’s membership then I suggest that you get ready to swear the oath. Aelianus draws for breath. I also have a business proposition for you but perhaps we shall speak of that later.

I have no particular preference, shortly after the council meeting I plan on a 2 season gap before the main body of the plot starts up

Cool, cool. I have a new spell I want to invent, so we can put the scribe plan on the back burner and have Alessio work with Aelianus' business proposition for now :wink:

Cool cool, Alessio will happily take the covenant oath, but will ask what responsibilities and duties a junior magus is expected to perform?

:smiling_imp:
you shall soon see...

lol

With the discussion over Alessio's membership settled, the discussion turns to deciding what if anything the covenant should do about the Redcaps news. There has been no sign that the missing Tremere came anywhere near Novus Mane , indeed he could be anywhere in the Normandy tribunal or even elsewhere but a substantial amount of Vis is on offer if he is located.

Aelianus explains that as a junior magus he will have to perform a season of service to the covenant to get a share of that year’s vis harvest and that he has no voting power in the council. Aelianus will reassure that his voice and reason will be taken into consideration and that he is allowed to sit at the council table.

Later after the council meeting Aelianus will suggest this deal to Alessio at some time when they are alone. I could craft a wand for you so that you will not have to fear for your safety. It will be of the eight magnitude and free of charge. In return I wish that you write a few tractati for me. The subjects that I wish that you write about is creo, ignem, magic theory and philosophiae.

OOC: Could we take 4 season of lab time?

All but Philiosophiae...a life of simple pleasures and free cares doesnt make one a philosopher....

You could write the fourth in any technique that you wish. Aelianus smiles then continues. Then I will craft a wand for you and I look forward to reading your works. Once I am done with the books I will donate them to our library. Regarding the wand is there anything in particular that you wish of the wand? There are many factors that one should take into consideration… I am thinking Creo Ignem. Works agains most threats and it is powerful.

[color=red]I think giving him a fire wand is a bad idea. He isn't ready. Can you give him a wand that casts that illusion you like to use? The Sidestep? It's not my favorite, but that would suit his style better and keep him out of harms way.
I devised a tactic as to how to properly employ the Sidestep spell. You wouldn't be able to mix into a group using it, but you could appear to be. The one using the Sidestep must always stay to the rear of the group, and the group will all know to ignore your image.
I'm still working on it. There needs to be a way to communicate with the group leader if your relative position radically shifts, or if the Sidestep has been dropped for whatever reason.
But anyways, maybe the kid does need some sort of weapon, sure. But start him off with something smaller. Like a wand of paralyzation.
Hmmm...
That's it! I am going to invent a new spell, the Incantation of Paralyzation! That would have been the perfect spell to use back when we were...
But anyways, if I really focus on mastering it, I can multi-fast cast it, use it in combat while holding my sword and shield, and whatever else.
It will be the best spell I ever invented!

I tend to agree with Marko, a paralyzation effect would be preferable. Would that be workable?

You are agreeing with Roberto. I (Marko) think you shouldn't be such a wuss and should load up on death dealing devices and just go berserk nuts on anyone who gets in your way.
But I (Marko) have never been a soldier. Roberto has. He does think that you should learn the asic elements of defense and know how to handle yourself in a combat situation without running away. But his warrior's wisdom tells him that you should "learn how to point your rifle before being given a loaded weapon", to put it in modern terms.

Alessio isnt a combat nut - from his first encounter with Marok and the comments of the other magi so far, it seem the covenant is defended well enough - plus, he can cast a basic fire spell (only +5 damage...), and acutally has it mastered for multicast - what he doesnt know as a formulaic spell is some sort of paralyzation spell, so he just trying to widen his options :slight_smile: