Chapter Three - Spring Council

Oops. Carmen got caried away. eh, don't worry about rain silloettes. Picking those out amongst a half dozen+ guys charging at him will be difficult.

And another barrel is launched....
But the efreet has suddenly shrunk down in size! Where did he go?

Inigo nods, focused. [color=red]I will do so.

Once it looks like time for a head on assault, Inigo gears up with all the buffing spells he has available, including a Ward Against Heat and Flames for anyone who wants one. Once he finds the efreet, he launches a full-on assault with spells of ice and cold, conserving his energy until he has some idea of the spirit’s powers, then striking as hard and well as he can.

The force swoops out of the gate, but their objective is gone. The efreet has disappeared. The lone swordsman picks up his dagger, sheeths his sword, slicks back his hair (wet with rain), and approached you (it's still a two minute walk between you)

Octavian narrows his eyes into green slits hidden the invisibility effect of his spell. He sneaks around the general vicinity of where the Efreet once was, his eyes scanning the general area for any anomolies. Once satisfied he eyes the stranger carefully.

[color=red]It took you guys long enough! What, are you slacking on the drills again?

Anyone who has been at Andorra more than 7 years will recognize that this is indeed Rodrigo of Mercere. He dissappeared into a Twilight Episode, and only now has returned. He is wet and tired and not up for much conversation.

That's the Insprational specialization at work for ya!

It turns out things got a lot bbetter really quick actually. Once the magi formed a unified front and mounted an attack, he fled. Or did he?
All magics and abilities available to you indicate he is gone though. We can safely move on to the next scene.

Which is? :wink:

I gotta let everyone catch up and realize the danger is over first. Yes, Ludico will be arriving soon :wink:

and, I just got my copy of RoP-Magic yesterday. Much reading to do, many evil plots come to mind. Muwahahahahaha!

I saw that! Very good news. I'll give you a few days before I start hitting you with spirit spam. :smiling_imp:

BTW, many thanks to Jarkman for all the advice and support he gives us :smiley:

Though many of you may have many questions for him, Rodrigo is not in the mood. Twilight is exhausting. You remain wide awake the entire time (or he says it feels like that anyway). He talks to Moeses Mendez, the senior grog, and gets a general idea of whats going on. He hads the sword over ti Inigo. It isn't his, the magical Phoenix Sword is an artifact belonging to the Knights of Seneca, going back for centuries. It was made by Valdarius himself. He sends word to Decimus to come see him later. Rhen he heads off to his sanctum and plans to get some sleep.

By the way, I am pulling a bait-and-switch. Rodrigo also holds the title of Pontifex, and he is now fufilling the minor Superiors hook.

Decimus will meet him at the designated time and palce.

Octavian ends the spell of invisibility to stand in Rodrigo's way just as he makes his way through the gates. He inclines his head politely. "Greetings Master Rodrigo, I would ask that we speak later in regards to your whereabouts these many years."

He smiles and waves and promises to answer everyone's questions later. He makes his way to bed as soon as he can. Later on, he wakes when Decimus comes knocking. He invites you into his sitting room just oyside of his sanctum. [color=red]yawn..., so I hear you are the ambitious type. Tell me some of your plans

In the mean time, at the very same time, Ludico accompanies Fuego and his entourage on their way to Andorra. They are soon to arrive. And I was mistaken about something. Terrace is not Octavius's mentor, his mentor is a Gurnicus at Duresca. Octavius owes Terrace Favors.

Also, Viola is still babling incoherently. Carmen grabs Marie to go visit her and see if they can help.

The Arrival of Fuego

Fuego and his entourage (including Ludovico) arrive that night. Archmagus Frederique of Flambeau, decades past a century in age, Twilight addled from inhaling mercury vapors, he has taken to calling himself “El Fuego!” with an excited rising voice. It used to be dramatic and stirring when he was younger and mature, it became quaint and amusing when he became old, and when he became ancient, it grew to become annoying. Now it is somewhat disturbing.

As I said, he is very-very old. His Parens, Vanacastium, was one of the Knights of Seneca back in the days of El Cid and the Covenant of Valencia. His Gauntlet took place over a hundred years ago. He looks like he has suffered major burns more than once in his life and is slightly disfigured, but he still maintains a compelling presence. He walks slightly hunched over, using an ornately decorated cane. Though he is a far cry from the mighty warrior he once was, the fire still gleams in his eyes and his wit is as sharp as a razor. He may be a bit off kilter, but he still has it together enough to garner respect. Fuego is Antonio’s Mentor, the one who elevated him to the status of an Archmagus and had his fellows elect him Grandmaster (he took the title Grand Chaplin for himself).

He comes with a whole entourage. There are younger magi with him, three servants, and six armed men. He also has a small metal statue that walks besides him (one foot tall), the Bronze Man. A magical Animate, it radiates heat and has a fire burning inside of it.

Presented in accompaniment to Fuego Ludo is dressed in high italian fashion and comports himself with an aristocratic manner. When it is his turn for introductions he does so without undue ceremony or niceties, though he offers a nod and smile of greeting to his hosts. [color=red]"Ludovico of Tytalus, filius Mercatora, formerly of Rellantali."

After formally presenting himself to his hosts he steps back to allow Fuego his dramatic moments. The young magus' manner betrays neither a liking nor dislike of the archmagus he accompanies, simply... a deference.

He does however give a bit more of a direct attention and look to Octavian as the two are introduced. [color=red]"I have a matter to put to you, when you have a convenient moment." he says.

[OOC: I'm assuming in this scene that the covenant's aegis, if it can restrain Khyron, likely is substantive enough that it will restrain Ludo's entourage or at least most of it. That and bringing a gaggle of powerful spirits into a covenant isn't very guest-like. Le Sigh.

Oh, and feel free to hate on the Tasgillian Titanoi, flaws in full force, if you like. :wink: ]

((OOC: I take it the spirit entourage is not around then?))

Octavian is unfailingly polite during the introductions despite any glares or other signs of distrust from the visitors. When comes time for Ludo to present himself, the Tremere replies: "Master Ludovico, filius Mercatora, formerly of Rellantali. I have not had the distinct opportunity to visit there on my travels to Magvillus." His choice of phrasing seems odd to say the least.

After the formalities have been completed, Octavian fades into the scenery figuratively. His aloof demeanour usually sufficient to do so.

Octavian turns his attention to the Tytalus. "Greetings master Ludovico." He nods politely as the request is made. "I have known of your pending arrival. I am aware you traverse doors without knowledge of what lies behind them. We may converse in my tower if it pleases you." he says cryptically.

[quote="Marko Markoko"]
He smiles and waves and promises to answer everyone's questions later. He makes his way to bed as soon as he can. Later on, he wakes when Decimus comes knocking. He invites you into his sitting room just oyside of his sanctum. [color=red]yawn..., so I hear you are the ambitious type. Tell me some of your plans quote]

[color=red]I don’t know if I have introduced my self properly. I am Decimus Scribonus Lepidus Ex Mercere and I am honoured that you wish to take your time listening to my plans. I have not done anything remarkable or spectacular, nothing that anyone else should not have done. I do not think that you can call me the ambitious type, but anyway I will tell.

I have arranged so that the scribes and the other staff have put the houses affairs in order. We have increased our silver income and our vis income. There are no outstanding debts and the books are in order. This is really more the scribes and the stewards efforts but anyway. I have been writing a letter and recruited a grammar teacher, a woman if I remember correctly. She will teach those that cannot read or write to just do that and give our staff a minimum of knowledge in Latin.

My hopes are then that the wives of our staff can be taught to read, write and speak Latin. In those cases when there is a substantial effort for scribing staff I hope that they can step up and aid our house, if they wish and perhaps for a sum of silver. After all the Mercere house supports them and their children without demands for compensation. After all there is a rare occasion that we have a really huge demand for scribes. Through the mothers the children will probably learn Latin and the art of writing. If one or another of the wives wish to learn more and receive a higher education that will probably be arranged. The grammar teacher had as I perceived a rather high level of understanding concerning the liberal arts.

Concerning Our two scribes I wish that they should dwell deeply into the liberal arts and perhaps medicine or natural philosophy so that they can contribute to our house even at those times where there are little for them to do. In time I expect that the children of our staff gets both martial and scholarly training so that they can if they wish one day become Redcaps, scholars or join the guards, perhaps even seek their fortune else where in the world.

In time I also wish to expand the house staff so that we get more independent from the covenant. We are bleeding large amounts of silver to the covenant each year and that must be stopped. First of all we hire more staff so that we pay our staff rather than paying the covenant to staff us. I have plans to raise another tower to take care of our needs as we are a bit crowded. Once we control all aspects we can start reducing the cost by hiring craftsmen and crafting items.

Also there must be another made as the vis extraction lab is the only one that are available as I use the lab outside of the covenant. I was thinking that perhaps some area out there can be used for storage instead so that we can erect another tower within the walls.

This is after all just plans but perhaps they can be made to come true if the gods are willing and our staff accepts my ideas as well. Any questions regarding the plans?

[OOC: Not unless the guests are given aegis tokens? I'm presuming not.]

Ludovico inclines his head towards Octavian as the other man speaks, offering a slim smile. [color=red]"Few have. Maga Mercatora prefers things that way. I'm sure you would however have been able to contact them through the customary channels should you have need."

Ludo pauses for a moment, eyeing the other man with an obvious new look of appraisal. [color=red]"Something of the sort I suppose could be said. Very well. If it is your sanctum, then no unless you have a neutral antechamber. If it isn't, then I am amiable."

Rodrigo quietly listens to your entire speech, contemplates for a moment, then replies.
[color=red]Well, that honestly took me by surprise. I asked one of the guards who the new Mercere magus was and what he wants. I was told you lived here as a child and now you want membership. I heard you had some ideas for the Mercere quarter, but I had no idea they were this grand.

I like the improvements you made, no disputing that. Putting peoples wives to work, I don’t know. They have other duties, for their home and for the community here. I don’t think you understand how I designed the Quarter to function. House Mercere doesn’t support anyone. They pay wages to the employees, who in turn care for their families. In fact, the Covenant supports them. Hoe Mercere pays us rents in vis and silver. And there are some female employees and scribes and such here and there, now and again. If you want to offer them employment, try it out and see if it works.

And getting more independent from the covenant is not an option. The Mercere quarter exists for the benefit of the covenant; revenue in silver & vis for rents and staffing, a large pool of scribal talent, and all the other perks and benefits. If you want to be a member of this covenant, you must realize that your duty here comes before your duty to Harco. But in return, we do provide a valuable service to the Mercere. There treasures are safer here than they are back in Italy! And they get to bypass normal Roman Tribunal rulings concerning interests and loans. Yes, Andorra profits greatly from House Mercere, but they in turn profit from the Order at large.