Character Creation for Vortigern (OOC)

That's quite a collection of books, worth (in build points) about half of what a spring covenant might have as its whole library. Can you remind me what services he gave in exchange for the collection?

That includes 9 pawns of vis paid and two adventure rewards from his Post time. One from the siege of Constantinople and the other for finally solving the "vis eating bird" problem for the Mercurian Temple.
The Concentration summa and Magic Lore summa I envision he has paid for with the vis. The Artes Liberales and Classical Greek texts I see as the adventure rewards respectively.

I am certainly open to adjustments. And I have zero idea as to BP value, so I'll take your word for it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

An initial xp allocation for Thorsten. Open to feedback and/or doublechecking of things.

Nithyn, does this suit your concept as well?

Thorsten

V: Cautious: Single Weapon (1), Essential Virtue: Strength/Killing Blows (1), Inspirational (1), Large (1), Magic Blood: Human: Jotun-Blood (1), Mercenary Captain (1), Puissant: Leadership (1), Puissant: Single Weapon (1), Tough (1), Unaging (1)

F: Curse of Venus (3), Slow Reflexes (1), Proud (1), Uncertain Faith (1), Uncontrollable Strength (1), Wrathful (3)

Characteristics

Int: -1 (-1)
Per: -1 (-1)

Str: +2 (3) (Modified to +3, Magic Blood)
Sta: +2 (3)

Prs: +1 (1)
Com: 0

Dex: +2 (3)
Qik: -1 (-1)

Starting Age: 39

Early Childhood (45/45)

Norse (East): 5 (Native)

Athletics: 2 (15xp)
Brawl: (Spc: Grapples) 2 (15xp)
Charm: (Spc: First Impressions) 1 (5xp)
Survival: (Spc: Mountains)1 (5xp)
Swim: (Spc: Endurance) 1 (5xp)

Additional Years (34): (510/510)

Greek: (Spc: Romaic) 4 (50xp)
Latin: (Spc: Hermetic) 3 (30xp)

Athletics: (Spc: Endurance) 3 (+15xp)
Awareness: (Spc: Threats) 1 (5xp)
Bargain: (Spc: Mercenary Contracts) 1 (5xp)
Carouse: (Spc: ) 1 (5xp)
Chirurgy: (Spc: Binding Wounds) 1 (5xp)
Civil Law: (Spc: Soldier Offenses) 1 (5xp)
Etiquette: (Spc: Military) 1 (5xp)
Great Weapon: (Spc: Great Sword) 4 (50xp)
Leadership: (Spc: Soldiers) 6 (105xp)(+2, Puissant)
Profession: Soldier: (Spc: Siege & Fortifications) 5 (75xp)
Ride: (Spc: Battle) 4 (50xp)
Single Weapon: (Spc: Heater Shield) 5 (75xp)(+2, Puissant)
Teaching: (Spc: Soldiers) 3 (30xp)

I like it, but i have seen some errors:

• You lack a specialization for Carouse.
  • You need some virtue related to Academic Abilities to be able to pick Chirurgy and Civil Law.

Other than that, these are just opinions:

• I find weird that low level at Awareness, especially with that -1 in Perception. That would make that military character incapable of doing a Watch. It's that ok?
  • That age will lead to age maluses kicking very soon. If it's okay with you, great, but have you taken that into account?
  • Iirc, its numerically better to have a weapon specialization than a shield one. The weapon will add always to attack and defense, but you will not use your shield so many times for attacking, so it will add just to defense.
    Moreover, you will not use a heater shield at all times in your regular day-to-day workday (that would be so weird as saying that you sleep/bath with full armor), so you will benefit less against a surprise combat. If thats ok with you, then np.
  • Athletics is also missing an specialization.
  • Actually Chirurgy is fine (you might be confusing it with Medicine). A virtue is indeed needed for Civil Law.
  • Wasn't that part of the concept? A might warrior, but not very quick nor perceptive, prone to ambushes?
    I can actually already see how he was the one in the watch and failed to raise the alarm in time when the first wave of invaders came. =9

• What is the use of a Latin specialization in hermetic terms for a non-magus? Thorsten is not going to discuss the latest Ignem tractatus with the magi. He will still be limited to a score of 3 in day-to-day conversation, won't he?

Otherwise, Thorsten seems fine to me. But you do need to make a few aging rolls. I hope he doesn't die at 39 due to a bout of bad luck. :v

Right! My bad! Since it has a * i though that it was Academic too :stuck_out_tongue:

I didnt remember that i was part of the concept! XD Then forgot about it! I said nothing :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, he was intentionally being made to have an "Achilles Heel" of poor initiative and Awareness so that he would be reliant on good scouting and/or the help of Magi to keep him from being ambushed. He excels in direct combat but is vulnerable to surprise/ambush on purpose.

Re: Chirurgy

The intent here is just that he has been around combat a lot and has simply some basic first aid familiarity. Not that he is good at it at all.

Re: Civil Law

I see this simply as a byproduct of being the commander of men and having to deal with the problems when they get into trouble. Not formal education in the law, just practical exposure with it and soldiers getting into trouble. But I can easily remove that without any real damage to the concept?

Re: Aging

I'll note that he has Unaging as a virtue, so I'll freely say I'm betting he will weather his aging ok (I could be wrong) with the virtue mitigating the effects. Until he either gets a longevity ritual or has his apotheosis/transformation arc etc. 8P (Ambitious I know...)

Re: Latin

The only reason he knows Latin at all in my mind is from working as a Custos / Guard for Thermakopolis and thus being around and having to communicate with Magi. He already knows Greek, for the area etc. So this just reflects the only variety of Latin he has had occasion to learn, and that he has learned enough to be able to take orders and report etc. in the language of most Magi.

1 Like

I looked like 10 times to be sure, and i didnt see it xD

That makes two of us. =P

I think there might be some mismatch in expectations.
My point is, magi don't communicate with him using a lot of hermetic terms, do they? So isn't this speciality lost?

If he was the guard of a temple and had "church ceremonies" as his speciality, he would be able to understand the Latin of the ceremonies, and talk with the priests about ceremonies themselves, but this wouldn't help him make reports or communicate day-to-day troubles, neither to understand requirements and instructions when not regarding ceremonies.

Latin (hermetic usage) is applicable to discuss hermetic things. It's not a catch all to comunicate with magi about anything, in every possible circunstance. In particular, language specialization applies to a certain usage (eg. poetry, formal speeches, give orders), dialect or subset of knowledge/field (eg. military words, hermetic usage, metal and stone), not to a group or class of people.

1 Like

Latin isn't a vernacular language anyway. More likely, he would have picked up the vernacular language of the group of magi he was associating with -- perhaps Italian, or French, or English.

There's several virtues (and even flaws) that give acces to Latin during character creation, so it's not like there's no options. I don't see a reason to make an exception here.

1 Like

Duh, Latin is also Academic. Arthur is right.

That's too easy to forget since many characters end up getting it somehow.

1 Like

I think we were employing different definitions/ideas concerning Hermetic in this context. I meant it more akin to declaring a dialect such as "Latin as spoken in hermetic circles/communities" as opposed to "church latin" etc. But I can shift xp from there anyway since I don't think will have any virtues for granting him access.

Thorsten

Virtues & Flaws

Virtues:

V: Cautious: Single Weapon (1), Essential Virtue: Strength/Killing Blows (1), Inspirational (1), Large (1), Magic Blood: Human: Jotun-Blood (1), Mercenary Captain (1), Puissant: Leadership (1), Puissant: Single Weapon (1), Tough (1), Unaging (1)

Flaws:

F: Curse of Venus (3), Slow Reflexes (1), Proud (1), Uncertain Faith (1), Uncontrollable Strength (1), Wrathful (3)

Personal Details

Starting Age: 39

Decreptitude:

Confidence: 1 (3)

Warping: Zero

Personality Traits:

Loyal: +3
Brave: +3
Methodical: +1
Cautious: -2

Background

Background

Thorsten is from a remote and small village in Norway that he hasn't seen in over twenty years, since he left seeking his fortune. A place untouched by time almost where he received a very traditional norse upbringing. As a warrior abroad and adhering to the old ways Thorsten's innate prowess came repeatedly to the notice of others, and as he achieved greater reputation and ability both he followed the offers of greater spoils and glory south and east. Eventually recruited into the elite Varangians of Byzantium he dwelled there and served the Empire with honor for nearly fifteen years up until the recent troubles and occupation.

For several years prior to these events Thorsten came to have a relationship with the Magi of Thermakopolis, recruiting and leading his fellow Varangians in moonlighting as security for the Covenant. During this time he developed a stronger bond with Belisarius, participating in several adventures and exploits with the Magus, to the point where when the Magus quit The City in the occupation Thorsten unquestioningly gathered a retinue to join him.

Appearance

Appearance

Big, muscular, with fiery red hair. Thorsten is an imposing and scarred figure from his many battles and wounds. While the history of wounds is written across him it is plain that he unflinchingly endured much that would have felled a lesser man. A brooding heavy brow projects a certain power and confidence, augmented by a thickly braided beard whose red is only slightly darker than that on his head. A significant gravitas and only partially contained aggression hangs heavily in his every movement.

Characteristics

Characteristics:

Int: -1
Per: -1

Str: +3
Sta: +2

Prs: +1
Com: 0

Dex: +2
Qik: -1

Abilities

Abilities:

Norse (Spc: East): 5 (Native)
Greek: (Spc: Romaic) 4 (50xp)

Animal Handling: (Spc: Horses) 1 (5xp)
Athletics: (Spc: Endurance) 3 (30xp)
Awareness: (Spc: Threats) 1 (5xp)
Bargain: (Spc: Mercenary Contracts) 1 (5xp)
Brawl: (Spc: Grapples) 2 (15xp)
Carouse: (Spc: Staying Sober) 1 (5xp)
Charm: (Spc: First Impressions) 1 (5xp)
Chirurgy: (Spc: Binding Wounds) 1 (5xp)
Etiquette: (Spc: Military) 1 (5xp)
Great Weapon: (Spc: Great Sword) 4 (50xp)
Hunt: (Spc: Human Tracks) 3 (30xp)
Leadership: (Spc: Soldiers) 6 (105xp)(+2, Puissant)
Profession: Soldier: (Spc: Siege & Fortifications) 5 (75xp)
Ride: (Spc: Battle) 4 (50xp)
Single Weapon: (Spc: Heater Shield) 5 (75xp)(+2, Puissant)
Survival: (Spc: Mountains)1 (5xp)
Swim: (Spc: Endurance) 1 (5xp)
Teaching: (Spc: Soldiers) 3 (30xp)

Combat Notes

Combat Notes

Dodge: (Init: -1)(Atk: -)(Def: +4)(Dmg: -)
Fist: (Init: -1)(Atk: +4)(Def: +4)(Dmg: +6)
Kick: (Init: -2)(Atk: +4)(Def: +3)(Dmg: +9)
Dagger: (Init: -1)(Atk: +6)(Def: +4)(Dmg: +9)
Sword, Long: (Init: +1)(Atk: +13)(Def: +10)(Dmg: +12)
Heater Shield: (Init: -1)(Atk: +10)(Def: +13)(Dmg: +6)
Sword, Great: (Init: +1)(Atk: +12)(Def: +9)(Dmg: +15)

Soak, Unarmored: +5
Soak, Chain, Partial: +11
Soak, Chain, Full: +14

Fatigue Levels: (Fresh)(Winded)(Weary: -1)(Tired: -3)(Dazed: -5)(Unconscious)
Wound Penalties: L(-1/1-6), M(-2/7-12), H(-3/13-18), I(19-24)

Encumbrance, Unarmored: Zero
Encumbrance, Chain, Partial: Zero
Encumbrance, Chain, Full: Zero (Potentially 1, adding Great Sword)

Significant Gear

Significant Gear

Daggers x 2 (Belt, Boot)
Sword, Long (Load 1)
Heater Shield (Load 2)
Sword, Great (Load 2)(Not usually carried.)

Chain, Partial (Load 4)
Chain, Full (Load 6)(Not usually worn.)

Thanks for agreeing to let me play your familiar! So I was thinking about what you're looking for, and I had a few thoughts in mind about some potential powers. Most of these are more or less RAW, but Crossing All Boundaries is a combination of two effects, and while it makes sense to me, I've been known to be wrong before. Oh and Always A Favorable Wind is just a reskinned version of a certain flight spell tweaked to just make someone that can already fly, fly better.

Hands of the Magical Animal
ReTe 15
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
As RoP:M pg 39.
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 Constant)

Invisible Hand of the Thief
ReTe 20
R: Sight, D: Mom, T: Ind
As MoH pg 93.
(Base 4, +3 Sight, +1 affect restrained objects, +1 50 paces of transportation)

Sight of the Boundaries & Treasures
InVi 20
R: Per, D: Conc, T: Vision
Provides sight which detects the mystical Auras and Vis of both Magic and Faerie Realms.
(Base: 1, +1 Conc, +4 Vision, +2 Additional Effects (+Realm, +Vis))

Piercing the Boundaries of Magic & Faerie
InVi 25
As "Piercing The Faerie Veil" (ArM5 pg 158), applying to both Magic and Faerie Regiones.
(Base: 3, +1 Conc, +4 Vision)

Crossing All Boundaries
ReAn(Vi) 20
R: Per, D: Mom, T: Ind
Teleports the user up to 50 paces to place that is visible or to which they have an Arcane Connection. The Vim Requisite allows the teleportation to cross through the Boundaries of Regiones as long as the Regio layers can be perceived through by other spells/powers or a suitable Arcane Connection is possessed.
(Base: 15, +1 Vim Requisite)

Wings of Shadowed Silence
PeIm 20
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
Completely eliminates images/sensory output of target causing it generate sensory impressions of sight, sound, smell, or touch.
(Base 5 (Sight, Sound, Smell, Touch), +2 Sun, +1 Moving/Adaptive Images)

Always A Favorable Wind
Cr(Re)Au 35
While active this effect provides a powerful wing to support and augment the natural flying of the target. This wind adjusts and turns with the target to always be favorable to their aerial manuevers, providing a +X bonus to any rolls related to flying or dodging while airborne. Sustained flight under the benefit of this effect is boosted to approximately 40 mph, and is significantly less tiring. The target can end the effect at any time.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 Complexity (able to end), +1 Slightly Unnatural, +1 Rego requisite)

*Unsure of what the bonus should be but hey.

Eyes of the Allfather
InIm 30
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Vision
As ArM5 pg 145, with the additional effect that Hearing can be employed similarly as if 1 foot away from any point observed.
(Base 3, +2 Sun, +4 Vision, +1 Second Effect (Hearing))

Sense of the Watcher
InMe(An) 40
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Hearing
As Hunter's Sense (ArM5 pg 118), adjusted up to Base 5 (from Mentem), and applying to both Humans and Animals.
(Base 5, +2 Sun, +3 Hearing, +1 for shape and primary motivation, +1 Animal Requisite)

Looks excellent for the concept. I am not sure how much of it can fit into the build, but it is solid for the role I'd envisioned for it. Kind of the "Odin's Raven" concept more or less.

I think personality-wise there are a few different directions possible. Part of leans towards a wise-cracking smart-alecky type to contrast with Vorsutus. But if you have other inclinations I'd be quite receptive.

I've been thinking about both this concept and about the syncretism of Vorsutus (such as practiced by the Neo-Mercurians) in general. The Sibylline Oracles were frequently devoted Apollo, who is among other things a God of prophecy/oracles. So I have leaned towards saying that Vorsutus has somewhat blended Apollo and Odin in his conception, as they have a lot of overlaps. Also ... both Gods have as one of their "favored animals" the Raven and connotations/associations with it and gathering information/prophecy/omens. Odin's Ravens were Huninn and Muninn (Thought and Memory). I thought this Raven might display some of that syncretism by being named Skepsi, being Greek for Thought. So it shares the meaning of the name of one of Odin's Ravens, but it is named in Greek. It seems fitting since it was found in the Sibylline Temple in Cumae.

Thoughts?

Pun intended? XD

The name is fitting indeed.

Haha, amazing Rafael, thanks for beating me to it!

And yeah, sounds good to me mate.

Built a rough first draft of the character based on what it seemed like you were going for, so let me know whatcha think?

Skepsi
Might 15 (Animal)

Int +2
Per +2
Pre +1
Com +1
Str -6
Sta +2
Dex +1
Qik +5

Size: -4
Season: Summer
Confidence: 1 (3)

Virtues and Flaws:

Gift of Tongues
Second Sight
Regio Network
Independent Study

Busybody
Avaricious (Shinies!)

Magic Qualities and Inferiorities:

Gift of Speech
Improved Abilities (x2)
Improved Characteristics (x1)
Lesser Power (x3)
Personal Power (x9)
Improved Powers (x3)
Unaffected by the Gift

Susceptible to Deprivation
Reduced Might (x4)

Personality Traits: Loquacious +6, Inquisitive +3, Shinies! +6

Abilities:

Assorted Area Lores (50xp)
Athletics (Flying) 4
Awareness (Shiny Objects) 4
Brawl (Dodging) 3
Faerie Lore (Regiones) 4
Hunt (Tracking) 3
Magic Lore (Regiones) 4
Second Sight (Illusions) 5
Stealth 4 (In Flight)
Survival 3 (Forests)

Powers:

Hands of the Magical Animal

ReTe 15
As RoP:M pg 39.
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 Constant)
(Personal Power)

Invisible Hand of the Thief

ReTe 20
R: Sight, D: Mom, T: Ind
As MoH pg 93.
(Base 4, +3 Sight, +1 affect restrained objects, +1 50 paces of transportation)
(Lesser Power, -2 Might)

Sight of the Boundaries & Treasures

InVi 20
Provides sight which detects the mystical Auras and Vis of both Magic and Faerie Realms.
(Base: 1, +1 Conc, +4 Vision, +2 Additional Effects (+Realm, +Vis))
(Personal Power, -2 Might)

Piercing the Boundaries of Magic & Faerie

InVi 25
As "Piercing The Faerie Veil" (ArM5 pg 158), applying to both Magic and Faerie Regiones.
(Base: 3, +1 Conc, +4 Vision)
(Personal Power, -3 Might)

Crossing All Boundaries

ReAn(Vi) 20
R: Per, D: Mom, T: Ind
Teleports the user up to 50 paces to place that is visible or to which they have an Arcane Connection. The Vim Requisite allows the teleportation to cross through the Boundaries of Regiones as long as the Regio layers can be perceived through by other spells/powers or a suitable Arcane Connection is possessed.
(Base: 15, +1 Vim Requisite)
(Personal Power, -2 Might)

Wings of Shadowed Silence

PeIm 20
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
Completely eliminates images/sensory output of target causing it generate sensory impressions of sight, sound, smell, or touch.
(Base 5 (Sight, Sound, Smell, Touch), +2 Sun, +1 Moving/Adaptive Images)
(Personal Power, -1 Might)

Always A Favorable Wind

Cr(Re)Au 35
While active this effect provides a powerful wing to support and augment the natural flying of the target. This wind adjusts and turns with the target to always be favorable to their aerial manuevers, providing a +X bonus to any rolls related to flying or dodging while airborne. Sustained flight under the benefit of this effect is boosted to approximately 40 mph, and is significantly less tiring. The target can end the effect at any time.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 Complexity (able to end), +1 Slightly Unnatural, +1 Rego requisite)
(Lesser Power, -4 Might)

Eyes of the Allfather

InIm 30
As ArM5 pg 145, with the additional effect that Hearing can be employed similarly as if 1 foot away from any point observed.
(Base 3, +2 Sun, +4 Vision, +1 Second Effect (Hearing))
(Personal Power, -3 Might)

Sense of the Watcher

InMe(An) 40
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Hearing
As Hunter's Sense (ArM5 pg 118), adjusted up to Base 5 (from Mentem), and applying to both Humans and Animals.
(Base 5, +2 Sun, +3 Hearing, +1 for shape and primary motivation, +1 Animal Requisite)
(Personal Power, -4 Might)

Sight of the Active Magics

InVi 45
As ArM5 pg 159, adjusted to Sun.
(Base 5, +2 Sun, +4 Vision, +2 Techniques and Forms)
(Personal Power, -5 Might)

Reading a bit in GotF/Rhine, there isn't a lot about the nature/presence of the Cult of Mercury there in the current era. I did note that Durenmar is stated to have been founded on the site of a pre-existing Mercurian Temple, the site of which was incorporated into the Forum that houses Rhine and Grand Tribunal meetings. And that the Mercurians constructed a road through the Black Forest warded by mystical mile markers. So there was certainly a historical Mercurian presence in the region, but we don't really know much about what the state of the Cult in the Rhine is currently it appears?

I'd be curious for thoughts on the Cult and how it may operate in the Rhine from others. Perhaps they use the Forum as a meeting place, due to it being a historic Temple site? Or another distinct location/Temple site to maintain secrecy?

A Saga decision would be ... how active is the Cult in the Tribunal, and how many members might there be?

One reason I ask this is that the recent discussion regarding connections in the Tribunal highlights ... Vorsutus doesn't have those, in so far as personal relationships in the Rhine. But he could have Cult connections that he might be able to use and/or make arrangements with?

That's a good question.

Humm... maybe we want the presece of the cult in Rhine to be on the low end these days? Vorsutus might be tasked by the cult to help the couple of members that exist and bring a revival of the Cult of Mercury in Rhine. Possibly members of the Oak gild wanting to keep the old traditions alive?

I can't really see the Forum being used as a meeting place by the cult unless we increase it's presence within the Order as a whole, but there is a ton of other possible places close by.

I think your pre-saga advancement log in the definitive character sheet for Vorsutus is off by 1 year. Constantinople fell on the Spring of 1204, not 1203.