Epidauros summer 1187

After she has done what mundane medicine she can, Margerie separates out the men with medium wounds. "These men could use rest, either riding in a wagon or sent home. The rest of you will be fine."

She will then look in her forumulary to see if she can find spells to give recovery bonuses for the specific wounds the men have.

"for them to ride in wagons we would need to have the wagons fixed, and home is the same distance ahead as it is behind." the wagon master is still looking for a recommendation on whether to proceed, "but to fix the wagons will take us into the night in our travels."

healing for a moderate wound requires a month, and charms can only have a duration up to day- I'm not certain what she would be looking for here that would help, but she can find a charm to give +6 healing bonus for duration sun and range touch for each of the 3 moderate wounds.

Margerie shrugs, "I think it's ok to proceed. Just let those three not do anything more strenuous than walking. But did you hear the whistle? We should be careful that men who trained those rams don't show up to attack us."

(That spell is what she was looking for, she will use it on the three moderately wounded men.)

"I don't suppose any of the three of you know anything about repairing wagons, or if not that destroying them quickly, so we can get them out of the way?"

Margerie shakes her head and look at her companions.

1 Like

Markos attempts to be helpful to Margerie, offering poultices and ingredients from his pack. Mostly this is of no use to her. When she looks to him he says, “I am sorry, friend, but I have never been of much use with woodcrafts.”

The caravan halts for a while as they unload the front cart and salvage goods from the rear. Lunch is eaten, lightening the load somewhat, and horses that previously pulled carts are loaded down with what they can carry. A couple of the merchants even create makeshift packs to carry goods themselves. Finally before the caravan resumes one of the merchants approaches Margerie. "We have goods we must leave behind, we are deciding whether to destroy what we can to deny the bandits as much profit as possible. It was noticed that you were using charms to aid the healing of the soldiers, would there y chance be any curses in that book of charms you have that we could leave for the bandits when they come for their plunder?"

Margerie shakes her head. "I'm afraid not, I only know charms of healing. But... if you destroy their chance at profits, won't that just motivate them to strike again?"

[there might be some in the book but she only has Succurro and Salutem so she can't cast them.]

"If there is no profit, then hopefully they will find a different way to make a living."
The group moves on, leaving a bonfire of the goods they have abandoned in their wake. It is late in the evening when they arrive in Athens, and they put you up in company owned quarters since you stayed with the caravan to tend the wounded.

In the morning you can seek ships bound for Smyrna.

In the morning, Margerie is up bright and early, and encourages her companions to get ready. "Marko, I'm happy to be ship's doctor for the time of a voyage, that should help you find a boat for us quickly."

Markos, always eager to please, hops to it. Initially he asks the guards and merchants if they might have any leads but when they don't merely asks for directions to the port where he asks around for a boat headed to Smyrna.

There isn't a boat leaving now, but someone tells you of a boat coming in that should be leaving in a couple of days that will be stopping at Smyrna.

If funds aren't a problem, we will wait in an inn. If they are tight, Margerie will try to search for a hospital in the city where she can earn their keep in the interim.

Markos pipes up, "Perhaps the Merchants we traveled with would be willing to continue to put us up for our continued care of their soldiers?"

Margerie smiles at him, "You can ask. But soldiers fine, don't need me do more. I used magic make heal quicker."

keep in mind please that the spell you cast has a duration of day, and the healing will take place over a month- the spell effects would need to be maintained for the entire time to be effective.

Oh, I missed the bit about duration day, sorry. In that case she wouldn't have bothered with charms, but she would have mentioned making them chartae (since all she needs to have "a lab" is writing materials and the ability to cast a horoscope.) But it would take some hours so she would have reason to be headed back there after finding out the ship situation

OOC: Movement requires recovery rolls, so it is far from useless to have such a spell while the group travels

Good point. So then that did happen.

Speaking with the company, they inform you that the guards are a separate company they contract with. the guards agree to put you up if you continue to look after the patients while they locate a regular doctor to see after their wounds. You find that the barracks of a mercenary company is a bit of a rough environment, socially at least, compared to where you have been living, as the soldiers bring in whores or return drunk to sleep off their earnings at all hours of the day...