Escape from the City of Brass

Marko, Lucas has explicitly written that he had moved away from the genie to confer with us privately.

The response was for Cicilio

"I suppose a fair price is what we're willing to pay for the service," Lucas replies in a very Mercere way. "The real question is whether it's worth five vis - or less, if Selim can bargain him down - for a local guide. I tend to agree with you, Solomon. If he can be trusted, it seems a wise investment. Every moment we stay here is dangerous. Anything that can get us out of here quickly would be a good thing. And considering the efforts we've gone to in preparing for this journey, five vis doesn't seem all that much."

Then the Mercere magus places a hand on Selim's shoulder. "Indeed, you should do the bargaining. But first let me give you an enchantment that may help."

OOC: Cast Aura of Ennobled Presence on Selim. I'm not sure if bargaining counts as "convince others." But I figure the spell couldn't hurt the negotiations. Spell cast silently and without gestures, of course.
Spellcasting check: 1D10+36 = [1]+36 = 37
Spellcasting check: 1D10 = [3] = 3=40; success.

Marko, my question to Roberto was really an attempt at a subtle question to our SG about how much vis we might have with us. I have no idea, and I don't remember us ever discussing whether to bring any, or how much to bring, so I was using a question to Roberto as my way of asking for a ruling from you on this. Obviously my subtlety was too subtle :stuck_out_tongue:

OOC: As I recall, we did speak, at least briefly, about bringing vis. At one point Lucas mentioned that he had a mental communication spell that could be booted to AC target with a point of Me vis. Someone (it might have been Solomon) said that we'd have to bring some Me vis just in case. I'm not sure if discussions went any further than that.

Ah. My bad.
I figure it is fair to presume each magus has a rook. Whatever Form mix you decide. So decide now, and make a reasonable decision. For example Roberto figured the only reason to bring vis would be for casting a ritual, and the only ones he knows are two healing spells, so logically his choice would be a Rook of Corpus.

Cecilio kisses the merchant. Hug and everything. She does want that scroll too. Arms on the guys shoulders So what does the scroll even do?

OOC: Is that the rook Cecilio started with or is that a second rook? Because Cecilio has already spent/used the entire thing if I read everything right.

OOC: I'll say that Lucas took his rook half-and-half Co and Me. The Co can be used to heal; and the Me can be used to boost his mental speech spell.

When Cecilio kisses him, it is breathtaking, and she is drained of one Long-Term Fatigue level. then he answers her question.
You will have to read it to find out. It can only be read once, then it is destroyed. That is why I do not know. But I can tell you to save it for when you need it most.

You spent nothing. You gave it to Roberto as a friendly gesture when you joined the party. He only used four pawns and gave back the rest.
So just say you have a Rook left right now.

"That was... nice. I'm going to go see what those guys are up too. Thanks for the scroll." Cecilio returns to the group, wondering if there is anyway to study the scroll for research purposes. "I vote we just head for the fanciest building."

"I have a mixed rook of Corpus and Mentem vis," Lucas reports to Solomon. "Not exactly the Ignem the fellow wants. But I'm sure Selim could convince him to accept a different flavor." He raises an inquiring eyebrow. "Shall we see if Selim can negotiate for a guide?"

"You can go for it if you want, but exploring is half the fun of new places! We can always find a guide if we really can't find anything. No need to get one right off." Cecilio says

(What follows is just role playing. QPaC is part of our trupe, but in game the Cecili character is not yet part of our covenant)

Roberto scowls. He was already scowling, so this is a super-scowl.
[color=red]Look here missy. We are not here on vacation or an exploration. We have a specific dedicated purpose. We are to obtain the corpse and ghost of King Kush, liberating him from the Malik of the 'Afrit. There are some slaves we are to rescue as well, part of the bargain we made to get here. Fun is not part of the equation.
You can stick with us or go have "fun". it is up to you.
I am sorry if I seem harsh. I understand the impulse to seek adventure. I really do. If not for the pressure of responsability, I would be right there with you.
But as it is, I am struggling to resist the temptation to get sidetracked.
That scroll guy, he mentioned a name. The last wizard that came accross him. Leolinus Jerbiton.
It was a few years back, in the Sahara. I had confronted Leolinus and his Sahir associate, and had thought them both killed. Long story. At the time I wanted to press on and explore, maybe find this city. But duty came first and I had people to rescue and an Alabaster Lioness to deliver.
Leolinus is an Infernalist, convicted and condemned. I first encountered him in Toledo over ten years ago. If he is here, part of me screams to hunt him out and finish him off.
But we have a mission and need to stick to the script.
Lucas, Selim, or whomever. Make a deal with the Jinni. Make shure it is phrased as a carefully worded Bargain.

Can I eat the infernalist? I call dibs on the infernalist! Purity exclaims, looking towards the two magi.
Cecilio scratches Purities ears in an attempt to calm her, and turns over in her head the bit about an infernalist. Wait, are you saying you might get sidetracked to hunt an infernalist down? Has he been Marched? she holds back remarks roughly along the lines of How could anything be more important than stopping a magus in league with HELL! in large part because she doesn't really want to track down and maybe be killed by an infernalist nor exposed to demonic corruption.

OOC: Knowledge roll to see if Cecilio remembers the name. OoH Lore is one, int is +2 if it matters.

Roberto's face draws tight in concentration before he replies.
[color=red]I am trying to resist the temptation. It was years ago, and and I don't know if I intercepted him on his way to the City or on his way back. And who knows how long ago the scroll guy ran into him?
Hurm...
He seems to ike you. Ask him when that was. And ask him how to get to the malik's palace.

OOC: Knowledge roll to see if Cecilio remembers the name. OoH Lore is one, int is +2 if it matters.
[/quote]
Intelligence +2 plus OoH lore 1 plus a fabricated die roll of 4 equals 7. You heard the name, something to do with a theft from the Primus of Jerbiton.

"Selim," Lucas says with a nod. "You're better trained for this than I am. I defer to your superior skill."

Then he adds to Roberto, "we can certainly keep our eyes open for Leolinus. We may not be able to actively hunt him. But should our paths cross, I don't think it would be out of place for us to take him down."

OOC: I don't want to step on Selim's toes here.

(Okay, Solomon would have brought the rook of vis all as vim vis, to support boosting ReVi and PeVi spells)

Solomon turns to Selim and pulls out a string of beads from inside the folds of his robes. He pulls five of the beads off and hands them to Selim, "We would like this genie to serve as our guide throughout out stay in the City of Brass. Please negotiate for us and ensure that he does not somehow work against us or provide intelligence to our potential enemies, specifically, but not only, the Malik. These beads each represent a pawn of vim vis. This is not the form of vis he is asking for, but perhaps he will take this instead."

Selim nods, takes the beads and heads over to the genie, "As-salamu alaykum, I am Selim ibn Ahmed, and my compatriots would like to request your services as a guide for our time here in your wonderful city."

The jinni smiles. "Why certainy. What is it you offer? I woud ove to be of help and..."

BAMF!
The genie disappears in a puff of smoke, leaving a tiny placard (business card) behind.

Selim looks back at the group and shrugs.

Solomon frowns slightly, "Right, well I suppose we can wait a couple of minutes, but otherwise I think we should just look for the largest tower and start there."

Lucas nods at Solomon's words. "Agreed," he says. "Who knows what 'shortly' means to an afrit."

Horus, keep a look out for anything suspicious or helpful. We're a bit at sea here, and every set of eyes is helpful.

OOC: Horus's Awareness is better than Lucas's, and he has Second Sight.