General Table Talk

The first one. It means that he will maintain his exclusivity with you (the covenant) if he doesn't have to hold to his offer of free copying. Each season will cost a season. As many as you want. But that is an extra. If you choose not to go for it, he will still fulfill his obligation, but will retain the option of letting other magi of the Order study or copy from it in exchange for services. He has still already agreed to join the Order.

What does 'cost a season' mean in this context? And what about his book repair offer?

He never said "reneging", and he is bound by his word. He is using legal speak to formulate a way to alter the bargain, allowing you to trade the favor of free copy seasons in exchange for an exclusivity deal. You would each and all have to agree to it, he is powerless to alter anything without agreement.
If I were you, I wouldn't take it. He is being bitter because his feelings got hurt for a moment. He probably still won't want to work outside of Andorra much, and will probably set up an arrangement to work his deals through you. He has already agreed to join the Order, something you already planned on, but he thinks he is in control of the negotiations and placed this on the table as something he wants in return. The two additional conditions are that he wants to pose as a human and keep his dragon identity secret, and he wants to visit Durenmar. And he would need a Token just to enter the place, for it has an Aegis higher than his Might.
That was a clue. Sigmundo's might is higher than the Aegis of Andorra, but lower than the Aegis of Durenmar. What further tests can be performed to refine our guess at his might range?

I was too vague. I mean a sort of quid-pro-quo. Even trades of services and materials. Trade a book in that you copied (or acquired or had someone else copy) and get a text of equal value. Spend a season doing something for him (or give him something of equal value) and you get a season in his library. You would have to do that after your free seasons ran out anyway. Except he would probably spoil Vibria and continue to so no matter what the deal.

It wasn't an OFFER of free copying; it was payment for services rendered. We dealt with the ogres and the salt wyrm, he gives us seasons of study. That was the quid pro quo. Adding more stipulations in order to fulfill his part of the previously made bargain is bad faith.

If Vibria were a faerie, Sigmundo would be so f*@%ed right now.

And this is why a Quaesitor was sent to deal with Sigmundo, so he can match his legalese :slight_smile: Unfortunately, Vibria asked him not to show up until the morning...so hopefully she doesn't agree to anything until he's there.

And this is why Vocis advised against sending her in the first place. :slight_smile:

Don't look at me. Vulc had no idea she was trying to ruin herself before marriage.

I don't know if I am explaining it wrong, or if I have a naturally prevaricated sense of ethics. There are no stipulations to fulfill his part of the bargain. He does owe you all each a season, kind of like you are each holding an individual season pass ticket. If he joins the Order, you each still hold your individual season pass tickets. He can also lawfully share his library with any other magus of the Order, of course making them pay for it. If you want an exclusive deal, he will let you trade in your collective season pass tickets in exchange for that instead. He is offering you a choice of a different asset as an otion to the other.
Vibria should get greedy in her negotiations, saying she expects the exclusive deal anyways in exchange for helping him create a secret identity.

On the other hand, Vocis and Solomon both will probably notice that Vulc and Egon return shortly after they left with Vibria, and Vulc is walking around with a personal raincloud over his head. He storms around the covenant for a while, slamming doors and throwing things, and generally throwing a little tantrum.

I'm hoping that when Solomon sees Vulcanus get home early, he will go on to Sigmundo's cave (after dope-slapping Vulc :smiley: ).

Oh, Solomon isn't the only one who's going to want to slap Vulc...

Should we set up a dunk-tank? :laughing:

I bet Vibria throws like a girl. She couldn't even hit the target with a Crystal Dart!

Here is another way to look at it. Sigmundo will agree to exclusivity with the covenant if each of you (except Vibria) performs a season of service or provides something of equivalent value.

My Companion, Anquetin le Breton, is posted. Still need to do background on him and Guillaume, but the crunchy parts are there.

Seriously? I don't think that's even possible. Size +9 is a humpback whale, at 80,000 lbs. And the sizes go up exponentially. At size +14 you're talking about a dragon the size of Portugal.

My math might be off, but I figure size +14 to be about 2,000 short tons. The largest dinosaur ever, that I can find (i.e. a quick check of Wiki) was about 135 tons, was 30 feet tall at the back, and a total length of 190 feet (including 105' tail).

So, that sombitch is freakin' huge. Something like 75 high feet at the back and 470 feet long?

Pan Caudrax is +16, SuGarr is +18, and the Midgard Serpent has gotta be +20 or even +30
Size +14 would be about 200 feet long (or 200 feet tall), which sounds about right.
Lemme see if this puts it in perspective...

:mrgreen:

Sigmundo is rated number five on the list of the top ten most powerful and influential living dragons so far in the 13th Century (as ranked in the 1225 issue of Dagon's Quarter-Centurly). The ranking goes...
1st Place - Jormungandr
2nd Place - SuGarr
3rd - Pan Caudrax
4th - Fafnir*
5th - Sigmungandr (aka Sigmundo)
6th - Crom Cruach
7th - Smok Wawelski*
8th - Nihelgromundr
9th - Wyrmy
10th - Spot Munster

(*Faerie versions of originals that was slain, yet still currently influential and indeed draconic)

Marko, you know I only know Jormungandr, Fafnir and Pan Cadaurax? :blush:

Awesome.
Especially as she's the youngest maga, and peregrine is a great, great roleplayer, I'm all for it :smiley:

Good question. I think you're confusing creature size and spell size, but how big is it?

IIRC, +1 to creature size is about x2 weight (with +3 being around x10)
So size 12 is around 800 000, size 13 is around 1 600 000 and that makes size 14 at 3 200 000.
I have trouble with lbs, that's what? 1 600 tons?

Thanks to Rolemaster, I know that height increases at about the cube root of weight (if you gain 1 meter, you also increase in the 2 other dimensions, so if a 6' guy weights 160lbs, a 8' guy will not weight 213lbs but more like 380).

So, assuming that a size 0 sigmundo would be as tall as a man (say, 6', which is about 1m80), we have size 14 being size 0's weight x 40 000.
So, height of a size 14 human is around 34,2 (cube root of 34 000) times that of a size 0 man. That's make him 61m56. Say, 205'

Which is quite close to the 200 feet of Marko :smiley: