General Table Talk

Assuming you are using windows, in the bottom right corner of your task bar (before the system icons, to their left) you should have a square marked "EN". That stands for "English keyboard". You should be able to chang eit to "ES". That would be the qwerty keyboard for Spanish. Then the accents are in the 2 keys 2 to the left of your RETURN button, the ones to the left of the "+" key.

Art least in my computer it works like that. Mark's trick also works well. I do the same as him for Scandinavian languages

Of course the cloth must already contain the vis, that much is clear. But Iā€™m not sure we understand each other (like ???)

The thing is, just as you can use ā€œGather the Essence of the Beastā€ to take the Ignem vis thatā€™s inside a dragonā€™s head into a single tooth, you can use ā€œDivide the gathered essenceā€ to transfer that vis into, say, a piece of cloth, or a ruby, just like Carmen did transfer Ignem vis into her gold ring, or Auram vis into strands of her hair.
This is not mutoing snow into cloth, put moving the raw vis into the cloth.
Say, if Carmen had put the Auram vis into a piece of cloth, would ArachnĆ© be able to craft it? It seems to me that, RAW-wise, the answer is yes (it makes no distinction between raw vis depending on whether the container is original or not). My concern was that it could make people uncomfortable*, so Iā€™d prefer to ask beforehand

• And to compare: Since this uses CT, at best, sheā€™d manage lesser items of roughly lvl 25 (Re21+Vi14+Aura05+Sta01+Die 05) for 10 pawns, compared to lvl 45 and 5 pawns if spending a season on it.

What do you mean by ā€œinherit visā€?
Do you mean you think that transferred vis doesnā€™t count as being contained in the item prior to the enchantment (I disagree, but well, no bother), or that you donā€™t think this is possible to transfer vis (In which case, look at ReVi base 10 and its application with DtGE)?

Anyway, the problem is here with the vis we get from the covenant: Since itā€™s in the abstract, I could very well say ā€œhere, these 6 pawns I get are herbam vis in the cloth Iā€™ll use for my carpetā€, so the real question is ā€œdoes this make people uncomfortable enough that we forget itā€. And it seems that it does, so letā€™s forget it :wink:

Yes, this is quite a problem :frowning:

For Mallorca, I love your original idea, and the disparate sanctums. Thing is, do you want to run adventures with these characters or not?
If so, better to have them as journeymen in Andorra, this is one less setting to do, less work and all.
If this is just to have more background stuff, like ā€œin 1234, for x and y reason, Andorra founds a chapterhouse populated by these magiā€, the Mallorca setting is awesome, and let people who like to create/write do these things.

For Vulcanus and Tianaā€¦ :frowning: Tiana could get assigned to Barcelona. Vulcanus is more a problem. I say we leave him and Fedora here some years, assume Vulcanus is trying to uncover Valdarian mysteries, deciphering texts, that kind of thing. We can easily say, after a while, that Vulcanus leaves the covenant (say, he receives what looks like a genuine letter of Ivarr, his master... who died in 1227, and goes to investigate), while still leaving Ryu the option to come back with an updated character. I donā€™t see him becoming an items provider for the covenant, especially as, should ryu come back, this deprives him of some choices (and get real, vulcanus is too arrogant for that :wink: )
Then, itā€™s easy to have something happen in the vault that forces the other characters to inquire. They canā€™t ignore it, anyway, itā€™s just too big.

Iā€™d like to, but it seems Iā€™m due to soon disappear in end-of-the-year work limbo. Maybe next year, although I wonā€™t promise anything. Oh, read my pm about it btw?

Humā€¦ Arnau alone, this stretches my suspension of disbelief, for he is too weak, in a way. Unless you rework him as a Mythic Companion? Or if heā€™s a member of, say, a tradition with a dozen hedge magi, why not?

Firecaster is Majorā€¦
But he can do something pretty similar (well, actually, more powerful): Rework Arnau as either a Mythic Companion, or a gifted hedge mage: Take a free minor virtue, and create ā€œfrom scratchā€ a tradition with Firecaster and, say, about 3 other major supernatural abilities (from memory, this seems to be about the rule for hedge gifted traditions). Like he could have Firecaster and Elemental Controlling/Summoning + whatever. You get the idea.

Transferred vis does not count as being an inherit part of the item. Inherit vis means that the vis and the item are naturally the same thing, one was produced by &/or produced the other. Or rather, they are one and the same thing. Raw vis, unprocessed or transferred. When used or transferred, the item vaporizes. Moving vis from the drake's heart to a tooth counts because, by the law of contagion, the heart and tooth are the same thing. Unless you remove the tooth first then try it. That would be dumb.
Transferred vis has been processed, drawn from a raw source or and aura and siphoned into a container. The amount of vis a container can hold is limited by it's Material and Size. Using this vis does not vaporize the container.
Carmen's Hair is Inherit Raw Vis, her essence being charged with vis from the Magic Realm and that which was not used for Transformation remained as pawns of vis manifest as strands of her hair.
Roberto's ring is Transferred Processed Vis. There was Magic Realm vis in his backstory (the Novus Mane days), but that has been mostly used up when he bound Cidito as his Familiar. And he transfers vis in and out of it all the time, so who knows what in there came from where and what is left of what.

As for your question of what forms of raw unprocessed vis we collect; I will grant no benefit from the abstract, but will do so for the specific. For example, we have the three sheep with wool that produces Auram vis. Future sources that are specific like that, fine. To retcon sources from the abstract; define it, what it is and what it produces and the annual yield, as well as how it is to be harvested. And realize it opens the door to a possible story.

I suppose that is the decision we need to make. I am currently in favor of making the characters Journeymen at Andorra, and having Mallorca simply be an Adventure that introduces them to the saga.

I just realized something. The last thing Vulcanus did in his seasonal development is roll a "special/story" event as a result of experimentation. It could be a Twilight Episode, being drawn another part of the Magic Realm, or the Faerie Realm. Or he was abducted by some spirit unleashed. Or something.
Fedora becomes a widow of sorts once again, but no foul on anyone and she waits at Andorra for her husband to return home again some day.
:smiley:

I failed to receive any PM, or maybe I missed something.
And if you wanna aim for mid February, that would be awesome (because my birthday is on the 17th and I think that would be an awesome birthday present if you guys all teamed up and ran a story for me to play Roberto at full tilt).
:mrgreen:

I say you get the carrot and the stick. :smiley:
If you are powerful enough to be accepted into the Order and receive Parma Magica, then you are powerful enough to be told "Join or Die".

Firecaster is also a Supernatural Ability. You get one free Supernatural Ability with the Gift, without having to take any other Virtue. ArM5, p. 36. Doesn't matter if it is Major or Minor.

That was in previous editions :wink: The dominion gives -3*aura to magic rolls in 5th, thus -9.

Actually, the +3 envy is temporary. If the succeeds, it is lost. If she fails, it is lost but she gains a permanent +1 :open_mouth: Ouch!

Oh, no, really, no bother, especially as, given time, this could potentially screw the abstract for other players if I define all vis sources and, say, we don't have perdo vis. And this'd mean having to fight over, like "I want all auram vis!" "No, I want it!". The abstract is a comfort.

Go for it, then :smiley:

Great! Although we might ease up on the "twilight" thingie, lest sparks begin to fly :wink:

Let's say that, while investigating the vault, he inadvertently released a Spirit bound by the Spirits Masters lineage, and that, in the ensuing fight, the enraged spirit appeared to kill him and take his corpse. This explains why the magi don't search for him (they think he's dead). Should ryu return, we can easily say he was instead captured to be enslaved as revenge but managed to escape. This even gives him a possible story to tell :smiley:

Good one. I really think this is written up elsewhere, but, well, I may be wrong (serfā€™s parma) :smiley:

As it is, every published tradition of magic I can think of gets at most 2 things for Gifted practitioners:

• A set of favored abilities (more rarely, arts), ā€œfor freeā€, like the Elementalist abilities. This is ulterior to the corebook, and seems to have clarified/supplanted it, especially since they get more than one free ability. Note that those traditions that have ungifted practitionners have these as minor and major virtues.
  • A free minor virtue (ex miscā€™s major is balanced by a major flaw, so isnā€™t free). Even those who get to choose, like some flambeau schools, only get a minor. And IIRC, most hedge or Rival traditions do not even get that (I remember quite clearly the Augustans donā€™t have one mentioned in the ā€œDesigning a Wizardā€ insert).

=> So if we try to reconcile everything, Iā€™d say we get something like that:

• ā€œWildā€ companions get one free supernatural ability, major or minor (but why choose a minor???) and must may for any other supernatural ability.
  • Those trained in a tradition of magic, like Hermetic Magic, get instead their traditionā€™s abilities for free, and the better traditions (from memory, hermetic magic and the sahirs, but there may be others) also get a free minor virtue.
    This seems logical: Formal training is better than learning something on your own from scratch

Looking at how the logic breaks down, I think he is right. However, the same spell with a Range of Eye would be useful in this and many other situations, and would be only level 30.

My Plans for Mallorca
Make an adventure out of it and use it to introduce junior magi.
The McGuffin is evidence of an unclaimed vis source and relics from a ruined covenant. We have some kind of map to guide us. If the Barcelona story works out, it is a good map. If not, it is the bare minimum but still useful.
Further hooks include the presence of hostile hedge wizards, pirates, past entaglments we are ignorant of, and secret enemies. And it all has to do with Andorra specifically.
Xavi, if you want to beef Arnau up and have him join the Order and gain Parma, the "Join" opportunity comes with the clause of "or Die", though that part can be unspoken. You don't need to know about it until after you have already joined :smiley: Roberto is just not a very good diplomat :frowning: But I want to start it of that Roberto, by some miracle of God, managed to recruit you into the Order as an Ex-Miscellanea magus and join Andorra as a Journeyman with him.
There are enemies about, so we go in armed. But we must be sociable, so it is good to have Arnau's connections. And Barcelona Covenant has a stake, so they assign Pere to assist us. He can set up a base of operations in Palma in a haunted house with a region or something.
Any other player can join in, using their magus, a companion, grog, new character, NPC, or whatever. It is an adventure, not a colonization.
Acutus Ilfetwis has two options. Start from the beginning (he was recruited to Andorra by Roberto), or we meet him somewhere during the adventure (which would be cooler).
The adventure will start with the Spring 1234 meeting of the Master's Council.

I will need to look into Mythic companions, since my knowledge of their rules is from 5 years ago at best. Will try to mess up with him during the weekend.

I looked yesterday, and it seems you were right, marko, I found no mention of the supernatural ability being minor (and apprentice even further asserts it). I must have confused with Mythic Companions :smiley:
The rest of my text wall seems right, though, so I figure my conclusion makes sense.

Xavi, Mythic Companions (since they are fresh to my mind :smiley:)
In short, they get one free minor virtue. After that, each flaw point allows they to take twice as many virtues, so they can have up to 10 points in flaws and 20 in virtues. There are various kind of "specialized" mythic companions appearing in the books, like (non-exhaustive list):

• Mercere Heroic characters in HoH: TL, that have Blood of Heroes and can take Heroic virtues and flaws. IMO, this could be cannibalized for Arnau rather easily, or for the Lumina.
  • Hedge mages, from Hedge Magic, that just pay hedge virtues. You could do something like this, by designing your tradition, and picking its virtues
  • Spirit Votaries, in RoP: M. I don't think it's very appropriate, though, not unless you rework Arnau's concept a little. It may be cool, though, especially given the sfx you get from using your powers.

I really think it'd be cool to have such an hedge mage join Andorra as a journeyman :smiley:

I actually found the spell on the Net Wizard's Grimoire shudder, and it does start with a base 3 for CrMe, with additions "Requisite +1, Elaborate effect +2".

However, there's also a note on the spell: "This shouldn't work. InMe base 15 "Hear a person's surface thoughts" can't be bypassed by just adding a +1 requisite to base 3, and should be used instead, making the spell In(Cr)Me base 15."

I think Fixer just added that note. As for the spell, if it's broken (and it sounds like it is), I'll rework or assign that season to something else. No problem.

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I have a vague multi-story arc idea that I might - might - run for Mallorca. It would involve the island-wide regio network I proposed when we were trying to find a way to have separate sanctums but still have rapid access to each other. I can also incorporate the McGuffin map pretty easily if necessary.

I'm still planning to have the regio sanctum in Palma I originally proposed for Pere.

I'm all for things that are cool. Having them meet him during the adventure sounds great.

We're doing it again. :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm actually kinda okay with just hand-waving that he has the spell at the correct level and not worry about the points. The main concern is that because it's now (technically) an 8th Magnitude Spell, it now causes Warping.

This brings up a very important (well, maybe only kinda important), but is one's Parma ever really down? Is it impossible to start your Parma ritual before the previous Parma expires, so that there's a kind of overlap? Doing it that way (your Parma is always non-existent for two minutes twice a day) makes no sense to me, despite what Hermetic history "tells us."

I've actually never liked the interpretation that your Parma is down for two minutes to perform the ritual, or that your Aegis is down for a day (or a good portion of the day) while you cast Aegis of the Hearth. It's always seemed to me that there should be some overlap.

I'm kinda uncomfortable with this, for the parma.
This has ramifications: You really want to be inside and aegis at sunrise/sunset, and every yearly aegis casting is a real moment of vulnerability for the covenant.
I can thus very well see a lot of Wizard's war being declared so that, at the first sunrise/sunset of the solstice, all hell breaks loose. Even outside of the solstice.

For the aegis, IMO, this isnā€™t as problematic, as it gives a time of the year where a GM can slip in all kind of surprises for the players.

What we can rule is something like this:

1. Yes there were gaps. Hermetic history is intact
  2. This caused enough trouble (pest control and wizard's war, mostly) that enough researchers went at it, mostly in vain. However, finally, 2 breakthroughs were made that somewhat alleviate this:
    2.1) The Parma was strengthened, so that it begins to fade at sunrise/sunset, but that expiration is not instant. So long as there's some light, the day is still there. Likewise, until darkness has be vanquished, there are still remains of the night. But in that transition period, the other part of the cycle is there, too, so you can begin your new parma ritual once the sun begins to set, and it will hold throughout the night. To speak in modern terms, if sunset lasts from 21h to 21h30, your parma wonā€™t expire until 21h30, but you can do your night parma at 21h, and, once complete, itā€™ll supplant the remains of your daily parma
    2.2) Likewise with the Aegis, or not.

I will get to posting stuff during today. I have been out of it and exhausted from a combination of hard work and crazy life.

I am sure you are all aware that this is a holiday week. I am not expecting people to keep up with much this week, and I myself will be swamped with preparations. On top of that, I have Black Wednesday to deal with. You may have heard of Black Friday, the big shopping day after Thanksgiving. Black Wednesday, the day before, is traditionally the biggest club/bar night of the year. Freaking unbelievably nuts, every year, And this year we have the Balkania party and some other underground hoodoo and IDK what else. The impact on food isn't that heavy though, and food is pretty much my only function, so not much to worry about. Maybe a few VIP platters and normal business as if it were a Friday. Then a few drinky-drinks until the sunrise and off to my cousin's house for Thanksgiving.
I work twice as hard for twice as long at twice the speed as guys half my age.

Phew, sounds tough.
I had to return from my holiday early to save some project with a deadline in two days. Gonna have some long nights as well, though probably not as loud and busy as yours! :mrgreen: