General Table Talk

Sorry for being quiet again. I just had an operation on Friday to get a pacemaker installed, so life has been pretty complicated for the last week. I'm working to get back on my feet now.

Hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly, and take care of yourself.

Jesus Christ allmighty! Glad yu are kay and I pray for your health brother.
As for me, been busy with holidays and company parties and all that jazz. Almost through it. Also, with my new housing set up, I lack interwebz. Posting from phone is a huge pain! I willl truck my gear to the library this week and get this thing started u again for the new year.
:smiley:

I keep dragging my heels on getting to the library. Posting from phone is problematic. I will sort it out soon. Apologies.

So far things are going well. Surgery was fine and my recovery has been good. Pretty soon they tell me I'll have just about forgotten I have one.

Hello, I exist!

Had a lot of pressures on my time since Christmas, but I'll do my best to get caught up and post later this week.

No worries :slight_smile:

I'm having some trouble figuring something out in Ancient History and thought I'd bring it up to the troupe.

RIchleaux has the Major Flaw Lycanthrope and is dealing with that in this adventure. He's rented a cheap room and has chains to chain himself up with. The chains have a puzzle lock on them so he can get out in the morning, but the wolf can't get out at night. He also has a big piece of steak to keep himself busy with at night. I have no problem with the lock. That's the least of my concerns. Here's what I am concerned about:

• I'm not sure how easy it is to chain yourself up in a way that will still constrain yourself when you've changed into a wolf. I'm willing to hand-wave this problem away, though.
  • I just don't believe that a single steak will occupy a werewolf for the entire night, keeping him from howling. I love a good steak dinner as much as the next man. But it rarely takes me more than an hour to eat one. Even accounting for a large steak, I'd get bored of eating at some point. After all, the moon is up for hours and hours. I have to believe that the werewolf would either (a) finish the steak at some point; (b) tire of eating it at some point; or (c) decide that getting out of its chains was more important than eating. So I'm thinking that howling is inevitable. Lots of howling and growling for a long time in the middle of the night.
  • I get that the chains are tied to doors or walls or whatever to limit range of motion. (And most doors open into a room making it hard for the chains to be attached to a door that opens out.) But isn't the werewolf going to struggle? And won't that struggling make a lot of noise (chains rattling, doors creaking, etc.)? It just doesn't seem to me that this is a plan that is not going to get noticed by the neighbors who are going to be wondering what the hell is going on in there, and who might call the gendarmes.

Now, I don't want to be a jerk about this. But it is a Major Flaw. I'd understand it a bit more if there was an accomplice making sure that the wolf was calm(ish) or running interference with the neighbors. But this is fire and forget. Once Richleaux turns all wolfy, there's nothing stopping the neighbors thinking that an animal is loose next door and calling the town guards to see what's happening.

So, I thought I'd ask the troupe their thoughts on the matter to see if I'm being unreasonable in my interpretation or if I should just let this go.

If the collar is rigid it will not choke. Even a fixed length leather collar. I can attest to this personally, though you might prefer not to know this.

In fact a muzzle could have prevented him from howling, but Rilcheaux doesn't want to muzzle the wolf his first night at least- after al it is still him and waking up with a muzzle on is uncomfortable. A very large steak will reduce the howling, but yes the neighbors might notice. That is why Rilcheaux chose a low rent part of town, where the guard is going to be less frequent and less responsive. Possibly even distrusted by the locals. And it isn't like they can call them on phones.

I can't remember if the others know of Rilcheaux's little furry problem, but if they do: he's with wizards. Couple of options:

• a Perdo Imaginem to quash any sounds coming out of the room. Base 3 to affect hearing, R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Room, for a spell level of 20. Probably not doable as a spont for anyone, though.
  • a Rego Animal to keep the werewolf from howling. Base 2 to "plant a single suggestion in the mind of an animal", R: Voice, D: Sun, T: Individual, for a spell level of 10. Probably doable for Vibria, with a Re 5 + An 10 + Sta 2 + a die roll. Unless Rilcheaux has MR, which I don't think he does.

Those were the first two that came to my mind.

But I agree that a steak wouldn't keep him quiet all night.

Lucas knows the spell Cloak of Silence, which can keep one target from making any noise for Sun duration. But to the best of my knowledge, Rilcheaux has not shared his condition with anyone.

He has not.

The flaw certainly should complicate matters, proportional to its value. At least enough to explore what it means and offer Richleaux an experience to grow from, but not one to cause failure of the story unless something really odd occurs, or somebody does something silly.
Would a neighbour call for help? Maybe.
Investigate themselves? Very unlikely, unless in a large group.
Flee? Maybe.
Spread the word of what they heard? For certain.

The other question is how many poor Paris urbanites can identify a wolf howl compared to a dog?

Bernat is teamed up with Rich, so that may mitigate the issue.
Rich was hired from Scholomance by Vocis at the same time as Draganna (whom I never wound up playing), and she is also a werewolf :laughing:

As for your sg issues...
I say play with only if it advances a story. Otherwise just do something trivial to spook the player and remind them that it could be worse.

I believe you are confusing Rilcheaux with Marius, who is an academic instead of a spy...

Alas, you are correct. My mistake.

For Rilcheau, he should really, really, talk about this with wizards.

First, they can easily help him.
Second, him acting on his own puts him first, the mission second, at risks. This is something that Roberto should know, and I think Rilcheau is professional enough to know it. Yet, of course, we all have our flaws, and pride, shame... can go a long way against what's more rationnal.

Your call, silveroak :smiley:

Oh my!

Just read about this, I hope you've recovered since then!

So far, so good. Everyone tells me I look better and the doctors seem pleased. I'm just happy that tomorrow is the first day I can raise my left elbow over my left shoulder after four weeks of that being forbidden.