General Table Talk

So, while I'm still in the creation process, can I post in the "Rekindling" thread, or do you want me to wait until I'm completely finished?

Post number ten-thousand

That's two:D

They are an entirely seperat societas, which draws members from within and without their lineages. They have no rivals, only allies and enemies. Individuals may vary.
As far as the name "Knights" goes, this is more of a convention of translation that has had an influence on how they percieve themselves. A more appropriate translation would be Cavalier (Los Caballeros de Reculed Seneca). Along the lines of a caballero villano. And as for the word cavalier, it is more about the aditude and spirit of adventure. Most Senecans specialize as infantry actually.
The main distinction between the Senecans and Milities is in that. Think of the KoS as Hermetic Knights Errant and the Milites as vassal knights. Also, KoS are Mercurian for the most part, and they know the truth. Most milities are Mithraic and victims of propoganda.
But we are both Flambeau. That's the us. We are magi of the Order. The "them" are the hedgies. Join or Die (or be subservient :laughing:).
The Knights of Seneca are sorta insiders amongst outsiders. That is, despite apocryphal beliefs and rugged independance, they are actually well esteemed by other Flambeau.
The Senecan view of ther Flambeau is to set an example for them, Illuminate them, and lead them.

:smiley:
Onward to twenty...

Interesting. Hmmm...
My first instinct was to say no. But it got me thinking it would be a cool hook.
The pivitol figure here is Rodrigo of Mercere. Antonio was always the more famous of the pair, but Rodrigo was the craftier one and had forsight. He may well have had you copy it for public record the last time Provencal was trying to put pressure on us.
It is not the words we want kept secret, it is the hidden location where the document is safguarded that is the secret.
The ancient charter has only a few important features worth considering...

• written in an old style and format typical of the early order, similar to Doisettep, with a hierarcical three tiered membership and quite unlike the egalitarian charters of the current age.
  • The charter was issued under the jurisdiction of the old Val-Negra tribunal before the Provencal/Iberia split. When the Grand Tribunal drew the gerrymander line, they neglected to consider Andorra. Provencal keeps wanting to annex us. But the Q's of Duresca ruled that only a GT can force a decision (and they always have better things to do). That's where Rodrigo figures in. Antonio gained political support from his fellow Archmagi, Rodrigo brought House Mercere in as a major partner. They saw a distinct business advantage operating out of a covenant without a tribunal.
  • Three rank system: Pontifex (pl. Pontifici), Master (Flamen), and Journeyman. A pontifex has broad sweeping power. But much of that was yeilded to empower the by-laws. The by-laws are sorta the real charter, what really goes down. That means Andorra operates in the conventional egalitarian style. The three rank system is still employes. Journeyman is used as a sort of a provisional or probationary membership. The covenant is run by the Council of Masters, full membership status. The term Flamen is rarely used, but you have right to the title (some adopt the title "Bishop" because they oversee a distinct function or responsability). Pontifex is mostly just an honorary title, held by default by the magus with longest membership. A pontifex may elevate a master to his rank (there were often two, rarely three, and never more than that). There are certain old enchantments about the covenant that will only function for a pontifex.
  • Most of the power of Pontifex is yeilded to the by-laws and the Council of masters. As Pontifex, Carmen has the power to grant or refuse or elevate membership or expel a Journeyman. But that's about it as far as politics are concerned. Technically, according to the charter, she could revoke the by-laws at any time. But that would be like a modern English monarch trying to disolve parliament.

We have copies. That is not the issue. We just cannot produce the original document at the moment (Carmen was never told where it was hidden, but it was not the vault).

The idea of a council meeting to discuss charter & by-laws is about how all of us as players want to define how we operate as a covenant.

Hmmmmm.....
I've had trouble with players doing that before. They start playing and never finish making their characters or fixing unresolved issues.
We can wait for you
:smiley:

Mythic Mimicry lets you make a copy that can pass as the original >.<

Have ranks been assigned to the new members before the council meeting in the new plot thread?

Actually, go ahead and start role playing in the council thread. I just won't allow you to roll dice until you post your final draft.

Three rank system: Pontifex (pl. Pontifici), Master (Flamen), and Journeyman. A pontifex has broad sweeping power. But much of that was yielded to empower the by-laws. The by-laws are sorta the real charter, what really goes down. That means Andorra operates in the conventional egalitarian style. The three rank system is still employed.

• Journeyman: Journeyman is used as a sort of a provisional or probationary membership.
  • Master: The covenant is run by the Council of Masters, full membership status. The term Flamen is rarely used, but you have right to the title (some adopt the title "Bishop" because they oversee a distinct function or responsibility).
  • Pontifex: Pontifex is mostly just an honorary title, held by default by the magus with longest membership. A pontifex may elevate a master to his rank (there were often two, rarely three, and never more than that). There are certain old enchantments about the covenant that will only function for a pontifex.
    [/quote]

Everyone is granted full membership at the rank of Master. The By-Laws normally require a year as a Journeyman before the Council of Masters votes to grant full membership. But this is an emergency situation, so Carmen is using her right as Pontifex to elevate everyone to instant master. Once the council has filled to at least seven (which I think we are at or just past counting just player character magi), then maybe emergency provisions will be relaxed to normal.
Or the current council can decide to do away with provisional status and use Journeyman for honored guests that have some membership privilege but no vote.

To keep down clutter, can we have a single thread to post grogs in? I'd like to make a merchant-type who goes out and acquires mundane materials for me, a groom for Egon, a white wolf for Vocis, a pig farmer and a brewmaster and maybe a Dalek for good measure.

I am thinking a big NO on the Dalek.
Otherwise put together a selection of grogs in a thread. Call it Grog Development for now. We will figure out organization later.

Vocis is bringing two shield grogs now, plus another shield grog and a scribe by the end of the year. I'll write up the first two soon and the others after some (in-game) time passes.

Just to say I updated the Events to include some bits from the spider's history.

Also, thinking on a companion. A priestess of Hecate, blind seer type, non combattant. Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure it is a good idea to do another character.

Does Good Teacher apply to Training advancement or just Teaching?

Not sure. I think both. I will check the book when I get home later (unless someone beats me to it :laughing: )

Core book says...

The errata changed 'Study Total' to 'Advancement Total'. No virtues are mentioned in chapter 10 regarding training or teaching.

Moved from the Chapter II thread to keep things clean...

I'm not sure I understand the second half of that, but here's what I think you're saying. Since Vocis's Parma is 3, any Lance he leads can include him and three grogs, provided the grog leader's Leadership is at least 3. Is that right? Celeste is often far away from Vocis in the field, so covering her with Parma isn't feasible or necessary.

Let's say, for example, you have a magus plus a grog leader plus four grogs all planning to do this together. The grog leader needs a 4 in Leadership (or 3 + specialty). Meanwhile the magus needs to extend Parma Magica over five grogs (leader + 4) and so needs a Parma Magica of 5. If the magus's familiar is also present, then Parma Magica needs to be 6.

So in Vocis's case, he could protect three grogs and fight in this fashion, assuming one of the three grogs has Leadership 2.