Letters, we got your letters

(sent 1223 to Greater Alps Tribunal)
(written in Italian)
To my sodalis, Attravere ex Mercere,

I am not sure you remember me from your days at Harco but we are brothers of the same parens, Alessandro. I was resident at Harco while you were apprenticed.

I am writing to invite you to Mons Electi in the summer of 1227. Mons Electi is hosting the Normandy Tribunal and there will be a large gathering of our brothers and sisters for the Mercere Fair. I would like to have as many of the Gifted Mercere come as well. Many of us have not gathered together as happens to often with our House. We could meet in friendship and perhaps plan on doing things for the greater good of House Mercere.

I feel that we Gifted Mercere could form a Society of Scholars to aid our brothers and sisters. It would be most helpful for we who are knowledgeable in Mercurian rituals to be able to discuss and gather for the benefit of our House.

If you can make it please let me know and we can discussion transportation.

Your Brother,

Korvin ex Mercere

(sent 1223 Caledonia Loch Leglean Tribunal)
(written in Latin)
To my sodalis, Vincentius,

We have not formally met though I was resident at Harco when you passed through on your way to Loch Leglean. I remember tales of your battles in Levant and was saddened by your injury.

I am writing to invite you to Mons Electi in the summer of 1227. Mons Electi is hosting the Normandy Tribunal and there will be a large gathering of our brothers and sisters for the Mercere Fair. I would like to have as many of the Gifted Mercere come as well. Many of us have not gathered together as happens to often with our House. We could meet in friendship and perhaps plan on doing things for the greater good of House Mercere.

I feel that we Gifted Mercere could form a Society of Scholars to aid our brothers and sisters. It would be most helpful for we who are knowledgeable in Mercurian rituals to be able to discuss and gather for the benefit of our House.

If you can make it please send word with one of our Redcap brethren and we can arrange transportation.

Your Brother,

Korvin ex Mercere

(send, say, in winter 1225, whatever)

To Konstantin Ex Miscellanea, Three Lakes Covenant, Novgorod Tribunal

Salve Sodales

Although we never met, I had the pleasure to meet your filia, Ardath Ex Miscellanea, who resides here, in the Normandy tribunal. As we were discussing our magical interests, she told me about your magical tradition, and your mastery of summoning magics.

It has been a few years, but I never forgot her words. And although I lack your peculiar abilities, I find myself reaching the point where my hermetic arts allow the creation and control of elementals, as well as the summoning of spirits. I would thus glady trade or buy you for any lab text allowing me to create an elemental, whatever the form. To a lesser extend, I am also interested by spirit summoning spells.

Would you be interested?

Isen Flambonis, Mons Electi covenant, normandy tribunal

(sent 1223 to Coeris, Transylvania Tribunal )
(written in Latin)
To my sodalis, Viator,

I did not have a chance to meet you during my brief stop at Coeris during the recent unpleasantness but I know your father and parens Xaiver.

If you can make it please send word and we can arrange transportation.

(sent 1223 to Harco, Rome Tribunal)
(written in Latin)

To my sodalis, Laurentius ,

I hope the seasons find you well. We have met briefly when I resided in Harco and you were brought in to erect a watch tower and wall.

The Lotharingian Tribunal will be discussed a great deal during this Tribunal and while Fendgheld would not move I know have several chapter houses that may. It would be a good opportunity to gauge allies and opponents and hear the arguments before the Grand Tribunal.

If you can make it please send word and we can arrange transportation.

Viscaria,
We have several books on architecture available. If constructing a bath you should consult with Marcus of Tytalus, I believe he and Apollodorus were amicus before his sudden passing. He designed the frigidarium, caldarium and tepidarium in such a way that heat and coolness can be imparted magically without the need for penetrating magic resistance. It is a bit over my head, as I don't understand the art of Ignem very well, but Carmine was absolutely enthralled with his process.

Andru

With this letter two tomes on architecture are sent, atop the volumes are a note which reads, "For the library of Mons Electi from Valnastium." These are two tractatus on Architecture of quality 10, written by Tektonius of Bonisagus.

A return letter is received surprisingly quickly.

Fiona,

It is the policy that only the officers of the Tribunal cast the Aegis for the Tribunal. (He refers to a PC code ruling that states the Aegis for the Tribunal is to be cast by officers of the Tribunal or their designates) Due to the Tournament games, it is necessary to maintain strict control of who may invite or rescind invitations into the Aegis. We will be casting the Aegis with 300 tokens, as your location and the timing of the Tribunal is such that we expect many visiting magi from Provencal and Rhine and Greater Alps.

Best Regards,
Proctor

Spring 1223 (timing guessed at)

To my cousins at Siege of Alms,

It's been a year now since I've enjoyed your hospitality and I am well established within these ruins of Bibracte. I suspect you would get along well with our brothers here at the Siege of Normandy, and spend more than the occassional hour guessing at how you would each react to my sodales here. You must come for a visit soon, so that I can pay myself the wagers and winnings I shall doubtless owe myself.

The project which lead me to move here has come apace, and I am anxious to repay our friendship by including you in what torments and delights as we shall concoct. Let me know how you would best prefer to be situated and I shall endeavor to maximize your enjoyment of that far off weekend.

Your "wintersmith,"
Viscaria Lynchis

(Note that Viscaria once again returns to her strangely unnecessary habit of circumlocution in this letter)

May 9, 1223
To: Moro doctrinae Birna
From: Athena Alpina, Presiding Quaesitor, Tribunal of the Greater Alps

Numerous Redcaps have been attacked these last few months just outside of Geneva, with two being killed. House Mercere has asked us to investigate this as Redcaps appear to have been targeted. For the time being Redcaps are avoiding that area and traveling with magical means at their disposal, but this creates difficulties for their House, and of course the order as a whole. We are currently shorthanded skilled investigators here in Greater Alps, and Eule has spoken well of your skill before. Consider this an aptitude test for full Quaesitorial responsibilities. You are hereby deputized to conduct this investigation. Should you need a hoplite, you would be well advised to see out Archmaga Jacinta Flambonis at the Tower of Ashes not far away. She owes a favor to the Tribunal and this will absolve her of this responsibility. She may not provide direct assistance, and that is satisfactory. Engaging her in a debate on her duties to the Tribunal is ill-advised as she is the premiere practitioner of Perdo and quick to anger.

Forthwith, you are requested and required to engage in this investigation and submit a report to me upon completion. You are granted up to 10 pawns of vis to aid in the investigation. You may collect this from Rorshach, the Tribunal's treasury. You can also gain a greater detail of where the attacks have occurred. The Mercere House has been notified, but will require to see your voting sigil and this letter as proof of your identity.

My suspicion is that these attacks are from a wild magical creature, or perhaps even a rogue Bjornaer magus. Due to this possibility we have decided to offer this opportunity to you and your House. You are not permitted to call yourself a Quaesitor, and discussion of this mission with anyone who is not a Quaesitor as discouraged. You should be advised to simply tell the truth, you are investigating this because it is something you heard about and it is a possible black eye for your House.

Regards,
Athena Alpina

sent 1224 Fengheld Rhine Tribunal

Dear Giorgio,

It has been a while since we have talked and your new duties have kept you from traveling too much. If you could find time to visit I might have a good business opportunity for someone of your talents.

In three years hence, Mons Electi is hosting the Normandy Tribunal. The grand discussion will be about the Lotharingian Tribunal so it will be exceptionally crowded as many have a vested interest one way or another. I have the abilities to look after my friends to get them prime spots at the Mercere fair. It could be profitable in more ways than just lucre. Our local Redcaps are not going to be here so it will be a great opportunity.

your friend,
Korvin ex Mercere

This letter is delivered to Reynault in the winter of 1216. It is written in a simple hand, with rather thin letters, on a plain piece of parchment; the impression in the wax seal seems to have been made with a coin of some sort.

Salve, Apollodorus.

I am writing to thank you for your cordial letter. Please forgive the tardiness of this response; we in Stonehenge have but recently concluded our Tribunal meeting (many of my sodales in the south, I realize, are unaware that our Tribunal's meetings are one year later than you might expect), and there have been many loose ends to care for. I was pleased to converse with a member of your esteemed House, one Edward of the covenant in Cambridge, although circumstances conspired to keep me from learning overmuch from him.

Regarding the construction of your new covenant, we at Nigrasaxa (for all of us, save our leader Maximianus, could have been reasonably interested in your proposal) wish you all success with your endeavor. I gave your invitation sincere consideration, but I am quite comfortable here and perhaps preparing to assume leadership of the covenant, depending upon the inclinations of my pater.

Given this opportunity to contact you, however, I might indulge my curiosity by inquiring about the political atmosphere (that is, Hermetic politics) within the Normandy Tribunal. I have more than a passing interest in relations among the magi of our Order, and the longer I live the more I realize that Stonehenge is simply not representative of the other Tribunals, in terms of its reluctance to address unequal representation in Tribunal decision-making. Are our sodales in Normandy more engaged with one another? Undoubtedly your skill in understanding the mundane political landscape will lend you a perspective on the Order's relationships from which I would greatly benefit.

I hope this letter finds you well; it has been my pleasure to make your acquaintance, and I hope that I may enjoy your artistic works in person one day.

In the Founder's memory,
Tranquillina Bonisagi filia Maximianus

((Yes, her next letter will be singing a different tune with regards to her interest in Apollodorus's invitation. 8) ))

This letter is delivered about 6 weeks after Tranquillina's letter was sent.

Salve Tranquillina,

The Normandy Tribunal shares the same philosophy that vis is owned by the Tribunal, but beyond that, I cannot fathom how it is distributed. It seems to be a carefully orchestrated dance engineered by Blackthorn. I was surprised to hear that Stonehenge was quorate this year. I'm sure it caught Goliard flat-footed, as well.
As to the politics, well, there is a Tribunal every 7 years, and it is well attended, for after the Tribunal there is a Tournament, a grand competition that sets the distribution of many vis sources that are outside a covenant's area of influence. We have several games that comprise the Tournament, a Certamen competition, a Dimicatio that draws Flambeau and Tytalus from far and wide, a melee competition for mundane covenfolk, an unusual game that must be seen to believed, a Joust of combat oriented magi, and finally a contest designed by the hosting covenant. Oh, yes, the hosting responsibility for the covenant is shared, and travels from covenant to covenant.
As far as the actual politics, it mirrors a system similar to the feudal structure of the area. There are vassal and liege covenants. I find this system distasteful, and you can be sure that I have secured sufficient resources that this covenant is not a vassal. Feel free to visit at any time. Your former mater speaks well of you.

Apollodors Jerbitonis

(Written in 1223 sent to Rhine Tribunal, Durenmar)

To Xavier ex Mercere, salve,

Greetings old friend. I hope things are well for you in Durenmar and old Horst is not giving you much problems. I'm including a copy of my lab notes for some improvements on your Bed of Recovery idea. Also some recent notes on possible ideas for improving Longevity Rituals for our non-Gifted brothers. They are in the beginning stages and I hope to be able to test them out in the coming years.

If you can make it please let me know and we can discussion transportation.

Your Friend,

Korvin ex Mercere

Another letter from NIgrasaxa, written again on plain parchment, arrives near the beginning of Autumn 1216.

Salve Apollodorus,

It is clear I am less skilled at timely correspondence than you; you are kind to write me so quickly, your many responsibilities notwithstanding. I also value it highly that you would pass along Tria Trianomae's compliments. I fear I did not make a good impression upon her during the short time I was her apprentice; let us hope that I have put the years since to good use.

It sounds to me that I would much prefer your Tribunals to ours. The competitions you speak of indicate a much more collaborative endeavor, at least on the whole, than what can be found in Stonehenge. Here we are only just starting to see signs of engagement from most covenants, and every two steps forward by us incurs one step back from Blackthorn, who seek to restore their grip on their lost monopoly of Tribunal policy. Their defensiveness, while regrettable, is actually not difficult to understand; changes have come rapidly, and to their detriment (whatever good it will do to the Order as a whole - I believe much). To be honest, Goliard is not the ogrish despot some would make her out to be: at this last Tribunal, more often than not her reasoned proposals would find no consideration from the other covenants, who fear Blackthorn's yoke in any transaction however unremarkable. Resentment does not pass in an instant; my former mater has said as much to me ... more than once.

Although it means a drift somewhat from the topic of Stonehenge, your remarks on the feudality of the Normandy Tribunal call to mind the clan structure of Loch Leglean, both within and without the order. You might be interested in the complicated web of family oaths that a person there must maintain.... A couple of paragraphs follow, with some relevant anecdotes from her childhood.

Your offer to host me for a visit is most appreciated. Should I ever find reason to leave these isles (unlikely though that be), I would happily send word ahead to see if my arrival would be convenient for you.

Yours,
Tranquillina Bonisagi

Several letters of a similar casual nature go back and forth between Tranquillina and Apollodorus over the next couple of years.

The Redcaps who visit Nigrasaxa have been instructed not to accept letters from Cumhachd ex Tytalus addressed to Tranquillina. Though the Redcaps have no problem obliging, it is not a total solution.... The following letter, rolled up in a scroll left blank on the outside, appeared in Tranquillina's sanctum one spring evening in 1219.

My dear Eskil,

What a pleasure it was to see you at last year's Tribunal meeting. You clearly have many responsibilities, as I could scarcely find a moment to converse with you before you were required to scurry off on yet another errand. What satisfaction it brings me that my apprentice has gained so much trust from the magi to the south of Loch Leglean that she cannot spare a conversation with an old friend ... what satisfaction, yes, and what irony, for me who painstakingly opened your Hermetic Arts those many years hence.

Think nae, however, that I still see you as that young tutee hopeful of true achievement (despite how completely constant your youthful appearance has stayed in the interim); I do hear of your rapid ascent in the covenant that claims you as a maga. Next to your Bonisagi pater you are the most senior there (measured in age, at least, if not as marked by successful Gauntlet), and it would be a trifle for Maximianus to name you to be his successor as the leader of Nigrasaxa. I'm sure your rise through the Stonehenge ranks would please the Trianomae who diverted you from your Tytalan training (though she knows well, I imagine, the picture of an incomplete apprenticeship); such ascent is to be highly prized, regardless of the extent to which it was earned. Aye, there are those who are forced by circumstance to follow a risky path to success, one that by its nature separates the meritorious from the undeserving, before receiving such acclaim. Many are my sodales who had no alternative but to leave the nest, to carve out a home in foreign land, to be recognized in strangers' eyes only by the accomplishments they could demonstrate directly, rather than inherit standing through nepotism.... I am comforted with the knowledge that my most recent apprentice will never need to endure such a test of character.

We really must correspond more, my dear. My belief in your potential remains as high as the lunar sphere; this has never changed. I hope, despite the distance, and the unreliability of the Mercere network in conveying our correspondence, that you know precisely how proud I am of you to date.

Cordially,
Cumhachd ex Tytalus

Three days after Tranquillina reads the letter above, she enlists a Redcap to make a delivery directly to Reynault, with no stops in between. The following letter, professionally scribed (with the initial "T" even illuminated) upon vellum of highest quality, is received at Mons Electi scarcely a month after the previous one Tranquillina sent, which was written simply like all the ones before it.

To Apollodorus Jerbitonis, filius Astrolabe[sup]1[/sup], Princeps of the Covenant of Mons Electi, Normandy Tribunal: My most honored salutations.

In our correspondence to date, I have hinted at my interest in joining you at the founding of your new covenant. It would be remiss of me not to communicate my many qualifications that position me as well-suited to your search.

I have held membership in the Order of Hermes for three decades, since my Theoretical Interview with House Bonisagus was deemed superlatively successful in 1193. Immediately I earned a reputation as a skillful manipulator of the human form, and by now am recognized as on par with the eldest magi in Stonehenge where Corpus magic is concerned. The potency of my Hermetic influence extends also to the mind and to images, and those who know me have called my magic faultless and durable. I am most familiar with the methods of loss and destruction, but none of the Hermetic verbs are foreign to me - I could initiate an apprentice in any or all of these Techniques (sadly the opportunity to take an apprentice has not yet arisen for me here). I have nearly a dozen formulaic inventions to my credit to date, several of them with no aid but the legends of our sodales' power. My proficiency with enchantments is equally robust: with the aid of my talisman I can take the form of a wolf, move invisibly about, yet still converse in Latin without trouble; and I have designed my own specimen cases which magically preserve the extensive collection of Corpus samples from my laboratory. I trust that the enclosed quotations from my work will reinforce this description of my abilities.

While I strive to exemplify my Bonisagi lineage through these magical investigations, I am proud to say that I embrace the Trianomae way as well as circumstances allow. I have been instrumental in assisting Maximianus in one covenant foundation, that of Nigrasaxa fifteen years ago, and can bring valuable experience to the founding of another. My active role as mediator among the Stonehenge covenants has resulted in an unprecedent improvement in collaborative Hermetic activity; I was the second-in-command to Maximianus as we organized and hosted the Stonehenge Tribunal meeting of 1201 - this in a tribunal that had not seen a quorate meeting since I passed my Gauntlet. I am an excellent judge of character when interacting with the ungifted, and my familiarity with mundane law can be a great asset to Mons Electi's dealings with agents of the Church and officers of your local duchy.

I encourage you to verify these confident claims by any means; certainly there are two venerable members of my House, Maximianus and Tria, who know me deeply and whose opinion is respected throughout the Order. You will not regret considering my application, good sir.

By our common Oath, I leave you, most respectfully,

(Included in the delivery are three separate pages, containing excerpts from personal laboratory notes (hastily translated into Latin); the first concerns a Rego Corpus spell of some sort, the second an Intellego Imaginem spell, and the last a Creo Corpus enchantment.)

[sup]1[/sup] Tranquillina will certainly include the name of Apollodorus's parens, if she knows it or can find out from the Redcap. Int 3 + Order of Hermes Lore (lineages) 2 + simple die 5 = 10. (Or maybe she's stressed....)

written 1223.3 - Dictated to Henri so he can put in proper greetings and titles.

To Bishop Gautier II,

Your Excellency,

Greetings from the scholars at Bibracte. Please accept a gift of wine from our own winery. We feel that this latest lot will be our best yet.

I understand that [strike]you[/strike] your predecessor had much contact with our founder Apollodorus and we wish to continue the good will between us and yourself. I would like to extend an offer for us to meet at your convenience. Please let us know if we may be of any assistance.

Korvin Mercere
Scholar of Bibracte

((See strikethrough above))

To: Korvin Merceris, Magus of the Order of Hermes

Korvin,
I thank you for contacting me. We are still waiting for the 750 marks that Apollodorus had normally delivered to us by mid-summer. Please see to the delivery at once. And as was custom before with my predecessor, we will continue accept exchanges in kind. It has also come to my attention that that pig, Father Théofil has been by to visit you. Do not deliver the sums into his hands.

Gautier

To Olivia of Merinita, of Spider's Palace
From Viscaria Lynchis

I have found an interesting opportunity to explore a Hermetic library the likes of which has not been seen in many decades. Bring enough vellum and ink for two, if you wish to share in my discovery. The magi here are pressed for time, and so are being generous in their terms, but expediency is key to their graces.

-V

After Apollodorus receives this unusually stiff letter from Tranquillina, a few letters go back and forth; these letters are also professionally scribed upon high-quality vellum, although some of the ostentation (such as the illumination) has been backed away from. The following letter was delivered in January of 1220.

To Apollodorus Jerbitonis, filius Astrolabe: Salutations.

It relieves me greatly to know you have accepted my entreaties to forgive the strident tone of my letter to you last summer. At times I am wont to find in the words of others criticism that was not intended.

Reflecting upon my correspondence to you this year, I can certainly understand your confusion as to my motivations. Perhaps my decision to apply for membership at Mons Electi was a bit sudden, in hindsight, but my reasons for desiring that membership are still sound. There is a certain complacency to life here at Nigrasaxa, which of late has made me restless for a larger challenge. And, to be quite honest, the prospects of less-constrained resources is also quite attractive to me at this juncture. (At this spot, a note has been quickly scrawled in the margin, in a different hand: [size=85]You wouldn't believe how long I've been arguing for more lab space here....[/size]) I feel I cannot forever remain sheltered in Stonehenge, pulled along by my pater's fame, and still be satisfied with my own accomplishments.

Still, I bear no ill will towards my sodales here, and they have made me realize that this is an inopportune time for me to resign my position on the council of Nigrasaxa. The Tribunal here is only two years away, and Blackthorn is already wrestling for leverage to regain its former grip on Hermetic affairs. Though I fear it is somewhat audacious of me to ask this: would you consider the possibility of my coming to Mons Electi at the beginning of 1223, after the Stonehenge meeting has safely passed and I might take my leave of this covenant with a lighter conscience?

In the Founder's name,
Respectfully,