level 10-15 spells

Thanks for the compliment, and the food for thought.

To my mind, most people would think that a Black Widow would attack you, so the one in the spell does.

I love the word "ornery".

According to this web site there are black widows in NW europe:

xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/spidhome.htm

If it's on the internet, it has to be true, right? :blush:

Column of the Deluge

CrAq 10
R: Voice
D: Mom
T: Ind

Creates 700 gallons of water suspended in the air, in the shape of a column, 1 pace across and 30 paces high which then will rush to the ground with great force. This will destroy unfortified small buildings, and cause some damage to larger ones, especially to their contents. If created over a human sized target, a Finess + Per roll is required vs the target's defense. Such a target is delt +10 damage. The target, and any persons within 5 paces of the impact site must make Dex + Athletics rolls of 6+ or be knocked down, suffering +0 damage.

(Base 4, +2 Voice)

Water as Fire

CrAq 15
R: Voice
D: Diam

This spell creates a bucket full of highly corrosive oil of vitriol which spills over the targeted individual. The oil does + 4 damage each round, and can be removed with copious amounts of water. A target with equipped armor may acutally use twice the added armor rating as a soak bonus, however each round of exposure permantly destroys 1 point of armor rating. This has no effect on natural armor, such as granted by the Virtue "Tough".

(Base 4, +2 Voice, +1 Diam)

These sort of "drop something on them" spells I tend to add a magnitude or more on to because they feel cheesy to me, but I can't justify it from a rules perspective.

I like the way that the column of water effects were adjudicated with respect to +0 damage and making nearby folks fall down.

Thanks for the input and compliment.

The Column would still fit in the 10-15 level range with the +1 bump, though I'm not convinced it's required.

As for Water as Fire, the "dump" effect is mearly cosmetic, as you could simply create the acid right on the target anyway.

It's not required, I'd just want to put it in there because I don't like things falling from the sky. I'm the the defective part here. Your spell is fine (Unless there's something amiss with the base level, I've no book here to check it.)

True.
(and in my opinion that is a classier spell).

What's a Matter, Boy?

Intellego Animal 10
R: Sight
D: Conc

Detects what is physically wrong with an animal. One condition will be revealed each round, starting with the most dangerous to the animal, and working its way down.
(Base 3, +2 Sight, +1 Conc)

Scent of Prey

Intellego Animal 10

R: Per
D: Conc
T: Smell

Allows the receipant to detect the smell of a specific animal, detecting both the animal itself, and its spoor at a range of up to 25 paces.

(Base 3, +1 Conc, +2 Smell)

Spore? :question:

Maybe I misused the word. Is it "scat" I'm looking for?

Let me rephrase. Is the correct termonology for animal poop "scat"?

Oh. Spoor: the trail left by a person or an animal; what the hunter follows in pursuing game; "the hounds followed the fox's spoor" (wordnet.princeton.edu)

Yah! That one!

Fewmets! :wink:

Oh yes, I like that one!

NOTE: Removed "The Rise of the Sanguine Humour" as suggestions pushed it outside the level and arts of this thread and post.

The All Over Burn
PeCo 10
R: Sight
D: Mom
Gives the target an uncomfortable sunburn making them distracted and libel to take off all but the most comfortable armor and clothing unless they make a stamina + applicable personality trait roll of 6+(Stoic, Shy, Cautious, etc.). If they do not relieve themselves of any uncomfortable burden, they suffer -2 to any actions that require movement. The burn lasts until treated by a Medicine roll of 3+ or a full day passes.
(Base 3, +3 Sight)
NOTE: Jazzed up a little bit at Erik Tyrrell's suggestion.

The Torturer's Touch

PeCo 10
R: Touch
D: Diam

This nasty spell inflicts intense pain on the target where touched. The target is unable to do anything but writhe and scream unless they make a Stamina roll of 9+, even so, all actions are at -3.
(Base 4, +1 Touch, +1 Diam)

Given the quantity of side effects, both positive and negative, it should probably be Rego Corpus "direct the flow of bodily energy" rather than Perdo.

Interesting spell. One suggestion, Imbalances of the humours being in the realm of medicine rather than Chirurgy, you might rule that the roll could not at all be influenced be a chirurgeon at all but only by a doctor. In a wicked way this also adds to the effect of the spell - most places having a blacksmith or a wise woman of sorts, etc with a little knowledge in Chirurgy, but Doctors are not as common...

I second the notion on this being Rego.

Cause and Cure has a lot of material to inspire imbalances and their possible in-game effects.

Just a bonus with no accompanying penalties? I'd give a penalty to a the "Phlematic" art.

The rest of the spells from my trip in September

Stagnant air of Eviction

Range Touch, Duration Momentary Target Structure
Perdo Auram 15

The air in the target structure becomes stale and bereft of salubrious properties. The air has a foul smell and any creatures that breathe this air suffer a -3 penalty on any die rolls involving physical exertion. In addition, for each round of physical activity a creature within the building must make a stamina roll of 6+ or loose a fatigue level. The speed with which the air within a structure replenishes itself is dependant upon the structure.
(base3, +1 touch, +2 structure)

Rousing Cry of Assent
Rego Corpus 15
Range eye Duration momentary Target individual

The target of this spell shouts out one to three short words chosen by the caster
(base10 +1 eye)

Gardener’s Insight
Intellego Herbam 15
Range touch, Duration momentary, Target group (+1 size)

The caster learns the general health of a group of plant that she touches including what each plant is most in need of.
(base 3,+1 touch, +2 target, +1 size)

Uninterrupted Lecture
Creo Mentem 15
Range eye, Duration concentration, Target individual

The caster creates a full memory in the mind of the target.

This spell was invented by Malicus of Bonisagus, a magus who had poor social skills and could never seem to get a word in edgewise when speaking to his wife and children. He typically inserted the memory of him giving a long lecture into their minds and then maintained concentration on the spell while reminding them of “what he had told them”. He later discovered this spell to be an excellent way to communicate information quickly to his grogs.
(base 5, +1 range, +1 duration)

The Attentive Student
Rego Mentem 10
Range eye, Duration sun, Target individual
The target’s interest in the subjects which are discussed by the caster is greatly increased during the duration of this spell. This spell functions by increasing the amount of interest that a person has in a subject. In the rare case where target has absolutely no interest in something then the spell will fail to create any (it is uncommon for a human to have absolutely no curiosity what so ever regarding a subject but it is much more normal for supernatural creatures).

This spell was originally designed to aid in the teaching of apprentices. The spell does help with the uptake of information (increasing the caster’s effective score in teaching) but the spell causes slightly more warping than normal giving the student one warping point per season.

A Big Line of Sand
Level 15
Base 01 : Create Sand / +02 Voice /+02 Sun / +02 Size

Creates a Line of Sand 250 paces wide , 04 paces high and 01 pace thick

(i know the sand will settle and form a more pyramidal shape ,
reducing height and increasing thickness at the base)

Is there a game mechanic reason for this , other than play balance?
To deliberately give extra warping would require Cr & Vi requisites surely.
The Guidelines (page 157) have a level 05 base to give one warping point.

What bonus does the teaching score get?
Is the Base for this spell 04 or 05?
I think it should be Level 15 , not 10.
Depends whether "Interest" is considered a state of mind or an emotion.

Thanks for everybody's feedback.

I like the idea of Diseases being treated by Medicine, but I don't see anything that actually makes this a necessity. The "Recovering From Wounds" section on pg 179 of ArM5 mentions you can use either Chirurgy or Medicine to help wounds, and the description of "Medicine" does indeed indicate it's used for poison, disease, etc. However, as diseases are treated like wounds, the rules seem to indicate Chirurgy is fine. Seems like a missed oppertunity in the main rules. Seems like a good house rule.

Re: Cause and Cure: Well one can't own everything, where would one put it? Stop tempting me!