Lucas of Mercere - Development

Lucas will drop his Awareness and Teaching by 10 points each to recover two seasons, which he'll spend learning spells from texts.

CrCo Spells
Bind Wound (CrCo 10)
The Chirurgeon's Healing Touch (CrCo 20) [I assume this improves a wound one wound level, right?]

Lab Total = 7 (Cr) + 11 (Co) + 3 (Int) + 3(MT) + 5 (Aura) + 3 (Familiar Int) + 4 (Familiar MT - counting specialty) = 36

ReTe Spells
Disarm the Warrior (ReTe 10)
The Key of Theodorus (ReTe 10)
The Unseen Porter (ReTe 10)

Lab Total = 8 (Re) + 5 (Te) + 3 (Int) + 3(MT) + 5 (Aura) + 3 (Familiar Int) + 4 (Familiar MT - counting specialty) = 31

EDITED TO CHANGE SPELL CHOICE

I realize that I goofed in one thing in Lucas's creation. I was still pretty new to AM5, and didn't realize the tremendous usefulness of boosted spells. I learned Whispering Mind at a custom spell, but didn't label it Boosted. Now, most of his other spells are standard spells. He'd have learned those from lab texts and couldn't be expected to get them boosted. But Whispering Mind was a custom spell. It should have been easy for him to have invented it boosted.

Can I retcon and say that he invented it as a boosted spell? Knowing what I do now about how the game works, that's definitely how I would have done it.

I understand if it's not possible. But I thought I'd ask. :slight_smile:

IMO, sure, no problem!

I don't mind if no one else minds :slight_smile:

1235, Spring
Learn from text: "Wizard's Leap" (ReCo 15) and "Incantation of Paralyzation" (ReCo 20) [LT=35] (2 xp Re)

1235, Summer
The Search for Princess Soteira (TBD)

1235, Autumn
Study "Catalogus Plantarum Mysticum" (16 xp He)

Aging roll for 1235: 1D10-10 = [5]-10 = -5

1236, Winter
City of Brass (TBD)

1236, Spring
City of Brass (TBD)

1236, Summer
Study "Divine Authority" (17 xp Re)

1236, Autumn
Study "On the Origin of Origins" (19 xp Cr)

Aging roll for 1236: 1D10-10 = [6]-10 = -4

You are off by one season. CoB is Winter and Spring :slight_smile:

I'll fix that.

Slight change since I just reread the beginning of Road to the City of Brass. Arachne had suggested that Lucas learn Veil of Invisibility in the Autumn of 1235. [strike]So I'll follow her advice.[/strike]

I realized that Veil of Invisibility is not Harnessed or Tethered, so it's not really much good for Lucas. I'll have to wait until he can invent his own version that is Tethered and Harnessed. That won't be now. Until then, I'll get some spells that are more up Lucas's alley.

1235, Autumn
[strike]Learn from text: Veil of Invisibility (PeIm 20) [LT=26] (2 xp MT)[/strike]
Learn from text: Taste of the Spices & Herbs (MuIm5), Aura of Beguiling Appearance (MuIm10), Aura of Childlike Innocence (MuIm10), and Aura of Ennobled Presence (MuIm10) [LT=37] (2 xp MT)

Updated.

How much lab total do you miss?
Arachné likes you, so if you ask nicely, you should be able to convince her to trade seasons of help in the lab. If you increase your Leadership to 2, between Horus, the Spider and Intissar, you should be able to invent it.

He's only 6 points shy of being able to invent it in one month. (It's only PeIm 20, and his lab is optimized to invent spells.) So he's pretty darn close.

Leadership is another gap in my character design that I'm looking to fill as soon as I can.

I'm looking forward to adding a few nice tethered, harnessed, and even boosted spells to the covenant library. (Can others learn them like that if I invent them and then copy them?)

6 points is not that much, especially given lucas PeIm.
So many things to do, so little time, eh? :wink:

As per Tethered/Harnessed/Boosted spells, IIRC, sadly, no, you need the virtue. Which stands to reason, or else, it's cheapen it a lot.

Okay, here's a working plan through 1241. It touches on the main points: service for being a deputy, learning spells while he still has a "spell" lab, and making a talisman.

My plan for his service as deputy is to travel through our neighboring tribunals (Iberia and Normandy), meeting the people in the covenants and arranging book trades. This has the potential to get us some new books and makes sure that Lucas knows the various players in the coming diplomacy.

[size=150]1237 [/size]
Winter: Study "The Merchant's Art" (15 xp Bargain + 1 xp Bargain for Correspondence)
Spring: Invent "Wings of Daedalus" (ReCo35) (2 xp Co + 1 xp Co for Correspondence)
Summer: Invent "Wings of Daedalus" (ReCo35) (2 xp Co + 1 xp Co for Correspondence)
Autumn: Run messages for House Mercere (7 xp AL: Iberia); gain 4 Co vis
Aging Roll for 1237: 1D10-11 = [1]-11 = -10
Multiplier: 1D10 = [5] = 5 = (2*5) - 11 = 10 - 11 = -1

[size=150]1238 [/size]
Winter: Study "Corpus Hermeticum" (15 xp Magical Theory + 1 xp MT for Correspondence)
Spring: Invent Spell: Veil of Invisibility (PeIm20) (2 xp MT + 1 xp MT for Correspondence)
Summer: Invent Spell: Silence of the Smothered Sound (PeIm20) (2xp MT)
Autumn: Travel through Provencal Tribunal meeting with members of the covenants and arranging book trades. (4 xp in Bargain); gain 4 Co vis
Aging roll for 1238: 1D10-11 = [7]-11 = -4

[size=150]1239 [/size]
Winter: Study "The Magical Art of Magic" (19 xp Vi + 1 xp Vi for Correspondence)
Spring: Study "Catalogus Plantarum Mysticum" (16 xp He + 1 xp He for Correspondence)
Summer: Invent "Grog's Sidestep (ReIm20) (2 xp MT +1 xp MT for Correspondence)
Autumn: Move to Arans and devise LR for Antoine (2 xp MT +1 xp MT for Correspondence); gain 4 Co vis
Aging roll for 1239: 1D10-11 = [9]-11 = -2

[size=150]1240 [/size]
Winter: Study "Atlanticus" (13 xp in Aq + 1 xp Aq for Correspondence)
Spring: Study "Breath of the Sky" (22 xp in Au + 1 xp Au for Correspondence)
Summer: Study "Liberi de Perditu" (15 xp Pe + 1 xp Pe for Correspondence)
Autumn: Create Item "Wand of the Giant Soldier" (MuCo30) w/ experimentation for covenant (2 xp Co + 1 xp MT for Correspondence)
Aging roll for 1240: 1D10-10 = [3]-10 = -7

[size=150]1241 [/size]
Winter: Open Elena's Arts (2 xp in MT + 1 xp MT for Correspondence)
Spring: Assist Arachne with Operation Eternal Guardians (2 xp in MT + 1 xp MT for Correspondence)
Summer: Travel through Iberian Tribunal meeting with members of the covenants and arranging book trades. (4 xp in Bargain)
Autumn: Study Mastery of "Leap of Homecoming" with Roberto (10 xp in Mastery); gain 4 Co vis
Aging roll for 1241: 1D10-10 = [2]-10 = -8

Total Vis: +20 Co

Since you'll be doing this for the covenant, and not for you or one of your sodales, it should pay for the vis. Don't hesitate to ask for it at the next meeting, will say the Spider.

If this is the touch-range version of "Wizard's Sidestep", shouldn't it be just ReIm 15?

Happily. :slight_smile:

Quite right. Not sure how I made that error. Well, since I have the LT, maybe I'll make it Moon Duration. Not that I expect any of the grogs to stay sidestepped for an entire month. But it'll help if someone attacks right before sunset to try and drop any Sun Duration spells.

Happily. :slight_smile:

Quite right. Not sure how I made that error. Well, since I have the LT, maybe I'll make it Moon Duration. Not that I expect any of the grogs to stay sidestepped for an entire month. But it'll help if someone attacks right before sunset to try and drop any Sun Duration spells.

Changes in 1240 and 1241 to account for having an apprentice now.

[size=150]1240 [/size]
Winter: Study "Atlanticus" (13 xp in Aq)
Correspondence (1 xp Aq)
Spring: Study "The Three Storms" (15 xp Au)
Correspondence (1 xp Au)
Summer: Study "The Magical Art of Magic" (19 xp Vi)
Correspondence (1 xp Vi)
Autumn: Learn Teaching from Bashir (23 xp Teaching)
Aging roll for 1240: 1D10-10 = [3]-10 = -7

[size=150]1241 [/size]
Winter: Open Elena's Arts (2 xp MT)
Correspondence (1 xp MT)
Spring: Travel through Iberian Tribunal meeting with members of the covenants and arranging book trades. (?? xp in ??)
Summer: Study "Corpus Hermeticum" (15 xp Magical Theory)
Correspondence (1 xp MT)
Autumn: Learn Teaching from Bashir (23 xp Teaching)
Aging roll for 1241: 1D10-10 = [2]-10 = -8

Lucas's Lab in Arans.

Int + MT Roll: 1D10+9 = [7]+9 = 16
Of course he'll lose Highly Organized the first time he lets Elena use the lab. Those darned apprentices just don't know how to put things away properly!

Tidy Roll: 1D10 = [1] = 1
Multiplier: 1D10 = [5] = 5 = 2*5 = 10

Size: +1
Refinement: +0
General Quality: +9
Upkeep: +2
Safety: +4
Warping: 0
Health: +2
Aesthetics: +8 (Reputation: Well-to-do Magus +3)
Specializations: +1 Teaching, +1 Vis Extraction, +1 Texts, +8 Cr, +1 Co, +1 Im, +1 Re, +1 Au, +1 Me, +1 Ig

Structure Virtues
Dedicated Building – tower (+1 Upkeep, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Re) [+0]
Defenses - strong stone walls and iron doors (+1 Aesthetics) [+0]
Gallery (+1 Safety, +1 Teaching, +1 Aesthetics) [+1]
Greater Feature - Portal (+3 Cr) [+3]
Superior Construction - solid engineering (+1 Safety, +1 Aesthetics) [+0]
Superior Equipment (+2 Upkeep, +1 General Quality, +1 Safety, +1 Vis Extraction) [+0]
Elevated – near the top of the tower (+1 Aesthetics, +1 Au) [+0]

Structure Flaws
Greater Focus - summoning circle (-2 General Quality, +4 Cr) [-3]

Outfittings Virtues
Guard (+1 Aesthetics) [+0]
Highly Organized (+1 General Quality)
Person - Cecilia (-1 Safety, +1 Co) [+0]
Servant - Andre (+2 Safety, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Me) [+0]
Spotless (+1 Health, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Cr)
Superior Heating and Superior Lighting (-1 Upkeep, +1 Health, +2 Aesthetics, +1Ig, +1Im, +1 Texts) [+0]

Outfittings Flaws
None

Supernatural Virtues
Familiar (+9 General Quality, +1 Safety) [+0]

Supernatural Flaws
None

One quick question (I might have more later). Where did you get the size +1 from? It is my understanding that all of the labs at Andorra proper are size 0.

Just wanting to thank you for updating all your info on the wiki.
I just couldn't have done it, and you did a wonderful job anyway.