New CharGen Ideas

I was looking at the page for Vibria's laboratory.

Another custom spell for the Woad for moderation. This is simply a variant of Blunt the Vipers which affects the hide and natural armour of an animal instead. Effects are similar:

Rend the Wyrm’s Scales Pe An 20

Voice/Mom/Ind

Rips and tears an animal’s hide, scales, or other natural armour. The Animal has its Soak total halved. Affects animals up to size +4.

(Base 5, +2 Voice. +1 size)

Just to note, Fleur and Roberto have first dips on space at the keep. Roberto does not want a spot though. He is happy on Ibiza and is pretty much interested in just access to the library.
I suggest that Marcellus takes Antoines tower, as I am presuming that was previously the location of the Forge of Vulcanus and before that the Vault of Dimir Taar (and long before that the Vault of Valdarius). It is the Verditius Tower so to speak.

Marcellus certainly won't object! He would have been happy just to get enough space to set up a small lab/workshop, so getting a tower for himself is somewhat overwhelming for him. He has no idea (yet) what henwill do with all that space.

Just for reference, how big are the towers? (Number of floors dedicated to the magus + square footage of the floors. I don't remember seeing this info on the wiki.)

EDIT: The wiki has the Size for the lab as +2, so from memory that is 1000 sq.feet, so I guess the towers are a bit over 30'x30'? Also, I assume the magic item described in Antonio's lab will no longer be there.

Fleur's current lab is size +3 with a regio giving her a free +3 bonus to size, and is well customized for her research- while she would like to be at Andorra, it isn't worth moving and trying to fit everything into the smaller space.

I’m going with this way in, I’ll include it in the Woad’s final backstory. With his start in House Merinita he has some enemies from among Cliffheart’s magi but not the entire House (Enemies Story Flaw).
Once I nail the final design I’ll advance him 1-2 years since I’d like to start play with a basic Talisman. After that the Woad was looking for a change of political climate, and that’s why he took Santiago up on his offer.

I’m still one Virtue point short, and looking for something appropriate without it being powermongering.

This is the design as for now:

*The Woad *
*Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Pre 0, Com 0, Str +1, Sta +2, *
*Dex +2, Qik +1 *
*Size: 0 *
*Age: 25 (25), Height: 168 cm, Weight: 72 kg, Gender: Male *
*Decrepitude: 0 *
*Warping Score: 0 (0) *
*Confidence: 1 (3) *
*Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Flexible Formulaic *
*Magic, Minor Magical Focus (Violent elemental maniulation), *
Faerie Magic, Magical Blood: Thing, Personal Power 1 (50/25), *
*Improved Characteristics, Cautious with Great Weapon, Warrior *
*(50/50), Chaotic Magic, Weak Spontaneous Magic, Enemies *
*(Individual magi Merinita), Ambitious *
*Personality Traits: Ambitious +3, Rebellious +1, Stoic +2 *
*Combat: *
*Dodge: Init: +1, Attack --, Defense +3, Damage -- *
*Spear, Long: Init: +3, Attack +10, Defense +7, Damage +8 *
*Fist: Init: +1, Attack +3, Defense +2, Damage +1 *
*Kick: Init: +0, Attack +3, Defense +1, Damage +4 *
*Soak: +2 *
*Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious *
*Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated *
*(16-20), Dead (21+) *
*Abilities: Irish 5 (Munster), Area Lore: Ireland 2 (covenants), *
*Concentration 3 (spell concentration), Stealth 3 (sneak), *
*Athletics 3 (running), Awareness 3 (alertness), Survival 2 *
*(mountains), Latin 4 (hermetic usage), Artes Liberales 1 (ritual *
*magic), Faerie Magic 0, Finesse 1 (precision), Magic Theory 4 *
*(inventing spells), Magic Lore 1 (creatures), Penetration 3 *
*(Perdo), Parma Magica 1 (Mentem), Great Weapon 4 (Spear, Long), *
*Order of Hermes Lore 2 (personalities), Brawl 1 (Dodge) *
*Arts: Cr 0, In 0, Mu 0, Pe 10, Re 8, An 1, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 0, He *
*0, Ig 0, Im 1, Me 0, Te 8, Vi 1 *
*Equipment: *
*Encumbrance: 1 (2) *
*Powers: *
*Stoneskin (Personal: 50), Points: 1, Initiative: Qik+0, Form: *
*Corpus, Range: Per, +0, Duration: Sun, +2, Target: Ind, +0, *
*Level: MuCo35, Requisite: Terram, Design: 35 levels, Base 25, +2 *
*Sun, -3 Might cost *
*Spells Known: *
*Blunt the Viper's Fangs (PeAn 20) +13 *
*Rend the Wyrm's Scales (PeAn 20) +13 *
*The Wound that Weeps (PeCo 15) +12 *

*Veil of Invisibility (PeIm 20) +13 *
*Fist of Shattering (PeTe 10) +20 *
*Pit of the Gaping Earth (PeTe 15) +20 *
*Shattering the Sword into Seven Sharp Shards (Pe(Re)Te 25) +18 *
Dreadful Bane of the Fae (PeVi 5) +13

Do you have a link to that part of the wiki? A brief review of lab sizes shows that most magi labs are either +0 or +1.

http://andorra.wikidot.com/antonio-s-laboratory

Wow, his is just about the only lab in Andorra that’s above +1. Lucky you!

Reading that, I now remember the situation. It is a lab built upon a lab build upon a lab. And maybe another lab. The Fireclock was invented in the mid 90's using 4th edition ideas..., er, I mean it was acquired by Antonio in the late 12th century. You don't get to keep the clock. Carmen will snag that.
The size bump was (I think) granted because the intent is that the resident Verditius will be cranking out items for the covenant and the member magi.
This is not the same lab as The Forge of Vulcanus. That was conjured with a spell, and he took it with him.
This might be an expansion of Dimir Taar's Laboratory, which was created by his mater Kyra, atop the Vault of Valdarius. Said vault was raided and emptied.
But hold up! You are looking at the wrong lab! As I am peeking around the wiki (praise Fixer! I wish I remembered his real name), I discovered the truth.
Antonio Perez of Flambeau is the former Pontifex gone missing. Carmen (his daughter and filia) moved into that lab. Rank has perks.
You want Antione of Verditius. He never made it on the wiki.
Now that I remember more, Dimir Taar's tower got destroyed. And it was more of a block than a tower in shape. Vulcanus conjured a tower on that spot with a ritual from a tablet. He emptied it when he left. Antoine filled the empty space. Which is now empty again (say maybe he was lured away in search of some mystery and never returned).

Nope. That's Carmen's lab, as I just discovered researching the wiki.

My bad, mistaking Antonio for Antoine.

I actually prefer just the standard lab. Antonio's was wayyy too much lab for a starting magus, even a Verditius.

So, Marcellus will get a standard Andorra lab, in what is labelled Antoine's tower on the map (top fight corner). My original question stands, though.

This is just so that I know up front how much space my magus has to play with. As a Verditius, he'll need a Hermetic lab, but eventually he may want a workshop for each of his crafts. If this can all fit within the same tower, so much the better.

As I recall, the towers were assumed to be relatively roomy. Lucas was able to fit his lab, living quarters, and living quarters for his large family in one. And the Mercere contingent at the castle are based in another tower (though I've always assumed they had some additional barracks space).

Antoine did make it to the wiki here. However, he never wrote up his lab, so that remains a mystery.

I think the final design of the Woad is in order. I’m using Meta Creator and will finish up and post him in his thread tomorrow evening CET.
I drifted towards increasing Stm to +3 plus 2x Great Stamina. Not only is he (at times) rock hard, I also see him as tireless.
He’s bound to get hurt and this is good for both Soak and Recovery. Also, I want to use the long spear with the shaft attuned as a talisman and used to extend his reach, in order to poke enemies and use some of his spells at R:Touch with FFM. And this will require Concentration rolls of ridiculous Ease Factors, so the high Stm helps.
IMHO this isn’t powermongering, I could have had an easier time doing a magus not going up close, but blasting spells at a safe range. But I’d like to try this concept as a challenge . And I think it fits the image of the spirit of stone - hard and tireless.

Post Gauntlet the Woad stays a bit in Hibernia, to invest the spear and attune it as a talisman, train a little mastery etc. One year, two tops. And then he arrives at Andorra at Santiago’s suggestion.

When do we want Marcellus to arrive at the covenant? My suggestion would be Fall 1244, either before people leave for Africa or after they return.

Can we set up a topic to roleplay his arrival and subsequent settling in?

EDIT: I asked for membership to the Andorra wiki so I can add my magus there. Can someone approve the request?

Just to make sure the standard in this saga is clear, Marko has the year go: Winter-Spring-Summer-Autumn. So Fall 1244 is the last season of the year as we account things in this saga. Most sagas seem to go: Spring-Summer-Autumn-Winter, so I wanted to make sure the new people know the way things work in this saga.

It drives me nuts that most people do that. The Christian calendar has always started with Winter afaik. The pagans started with Spring. I count seasons from solstice and equinox.

I think it's allegorical for most people, who see spring as the beginning (re-birth) and winter as the end (death). ArM itself uses it for the life-cycle of covenant, so I'm not surprised many follow the same pattern for their seasonal activities.

From a modern calendar perspective, you are correct that winter more closely corresponds to the beginning of the year.

However, in the Roman calendar (until 154 BC) the year began with the month of Mars (March). Christianity had nothing to do with the change.

Just a random bit of knowledge. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s how we’ve done it in all my troupes since we started.
The Hermetic year starts with spring on 21st of March .

But never mind