Non-Hermetic Grimoire

Considering the idiosyncratic guidelines and parameters available to non-hermetic spellcasters, I thought it might be interesting to see what sorts of spells people have come up with for the variant magic systems introduced to 5th edition thus far.

So without further adieu, here are a few effects I designed for use with the Divine Methods and Powers from Realms of Power: The Divine. I'm afraid none of them are especially creative, but I think they make good use of the parameters and guidelines associated with the traditions they represent. In any case, I can't wait to see what the rest of you have come up with!

Break the Tyrant’s Sword
(Purity, Cursing, Level 10)
Range: Voice. Duration: Momentary. Target: Individual.
This miracle calls down God’s vengeance to utterly destroy a single non-living object within range of the caster’s voice (usually a weapon or shield). Variations on this effect using the Touch range and/or the Partial target are both common and highly versatile.
(Base 4, +2 Voice)

Bring Ruination unto the Sinful
(Invocation, Cursing, General)
Range: Voice. Duration: Sabbath. Target: Individual.
This miracle causes the target to experienced divine disfavour in the form of ill-luck, imposing a number of additional botch dice equal to ((Magnitude -1)/2) on all stress die rolls made by the victim for the duration of the effect.
Example: The Level 25 version of this miracle imposes 2 extra botch dice on the target while the Level 55 variation requires the victim to roll 5 additional botch dice.
(Base effect, +2 Voice, +2 Sabbath)

Circle of Divine Protection
(Purity, Adjuration, Level 30)
Range: Touch. Duration: Ring. Target: Circle.
This miracle wards the target against all non-divine supernatural creatures. Although the Penetration of this effect is likely to be quite low, the power of the Dominion will usually reduce the effective MR of the supernatural beings targeted to manageable levels.
Example: In a typical city with a Dominion aura of 3, demons suffer a -15 penalty to their Magic Resistance, making even mid-ranking infernal creatures vulnerable to this effect.
(Base 15, +1 Touch, +2 Ring)

Conjuration of Divine Flame
(Invocation, Wonders, General)
This miracle engulfs the target in a silvery burst of divine flame, inflicting damage equal to (Level -10) in the process. Said to originate among the Zoroastrians, this effect has long since found use among magicians of other denominations.
Example: The Level 15 version of this effect imposes +5 damage while the Level 30 equivalent causes the victim to suffer +20 damage.
(Base effect, +2 Voice)

Feed the Multitudes from a Single Loaf
(Purity, Intervention, Level 15)
Range: Touch. Duration: Momentary. Target: Individual.
This miracle allows the caster to instantly transmute a single loaf of bread into many. Successive applications of this effect (with Group Target, of course) are useful in combating starvation in times of famine or while under siege.
(Base 10, +1 Touch)

Give Hope to the Oppressed
(Meditation, Blessing, Level 20)
This miracle transfers a point of Confidence from the caster to another character. The recipient of the Confidence point may ostensibly do with it as he pleases, but in practice sinful applications may require the target to roll against an appropriate Personality Trait.
(Base 15, +1 Touch)

Ignore the Flames of Earthly Torment
(Purity, Transcendence, Level 15)
Range: Personal. Duration: Fast. Target: Individual.
This miracle renders the caster immune to flame for as long as he maintains a fast in accordance with the tenets of his faith. This miracle sees occasional use from those holy magicians who have run afoul of House Flambeau and lived to tell the tale.
(Base 4, +3 Fast)

Prosperity of the Blessed Fields
(Invocation, Wonders, Level 35)
Range: Touch. Duration: Year. Target: Boundary.
This miracle blesses a community with divine bounty, substantially increasing the health and yield of any crops grown in the affected fields over the course of the following year.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +4 Year, +4 Boundary)

Success through Divine Providence
(Meditation, Understanding, General)
Range: Personal. Duration: Sabbath. Target: Individual.
This miracle protects the caster from the vicissitudes of misfortune by cloaking him in divine favour. This reduces the number of botch dice the target rolls by (Magnitude -2) for the duration of the effect.
Example: The Level 20 version of this effect subtracts 2 botch dice while at Level 50 the subject would roll 8 fewer botch dice.
(Base effect, +2 Sabbath)

Treading in the Footsteps of our Saviour
(Meditation, Transcendence, Level 10)
Range: Personal. Duration: Recitation. Target: Individual.
This miracle allows the caster to walk across a liquid surface for as long as he continues to recite verse appropriate to his religion. This miracle is most common among Christian mystics, but versions of it have since spread to practitioners of other Divine religions.
(Base 5, +1 Recitation)

1 Like

The Infernal M&P from Realms of Power: The Infernal, are mechanically similar to their Divine counterpart, but nevertheless present some fascinating spell-design possibilities.

Abyssal Army
(Incantation, Consumption, Level 30)
Range: Touch. Duration: Sun. Target: Group.
This maleficium allows the caster to animate and control up to 10 corpses. As per usual, proper burial rites associated with any Divine religion negate necromantic effects (unless the caster has uncovered the secrets of Canaanite Necromancy).
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +2 Group)

Despair of the Lost Love
(Debauchery, Psychomachia, Level 20)
Range: Voice. Duration: Sun. Target: Individual.
This maleficium changes the target’s contentment into a soul-crushing sense of despair, preventing him from eating or sleeping while affected. Mechanically, the victim gains the “Sorrowful +3” Personality Trait for the duration of the effect.
(Base 4, +2 Voice, +2 Sun)

Foreknowledge of the Flames of Perdition
(Debauchery, Effusion, Level 20)
This maleficium causes the target’s flesh to burst into flame inflicting +5 damage each round until the flames are extinguished. This effect is favoured by many diabolists due to the length of time required for the victims to die…
(Base 10, +2 Voice)

Leathery Wings of the Midnight Flyer
(Debauchery, Phantasm, Level 5)
Range: Personal. Duration: Sun. Target: Individual.
This maleficium causes the caster to sprout a pair of leathery bat-like wings which he can use to glide safely through the air until the following sunrise/sunset. While this power allows for rapid travel, the diabolist must take care not to actually enter the Dominion while airborne or this illusion will evaporate like morning dew, causing him to plummet to the earth.
(Base 3, +2 Sun)

Reforge the Blade in Hellish Flame
(Incantation, Effusion, General)
Range: Touch. Duration: Diameter. Target: Individual.
This maleficium increases the Damage inflicted by any weapon the caster touches (not just metal or bladed ones) by (Magnitude -2). A similar effect can grant an identical Protection bonus to armour. Many infernalists use the “Forsaken” duration to create semi-permanent magic weapons and armour, finding it easier to generate a single large Casting Total using Vis, Sacrifices, and Confidence than performing a lesser incantation multiple times.
Example: A Level 15 version of this effect grants the weapon a Damage bonus of +1 while a Level 45 variation gives a +7 bonus.
(Base effect, +1 Touch, +1 Diameter)

Restoration of Demonic Potency
(Incantation, Diablerie, General)
This maleficium replenishes the Might Pool of a Demon by a number of points equal to the level of the effect. This cannot result in a demon having a Might Pool that is greater than its Might Score, however.
Example: A Level 5 version of this spell restores 5 points of Might while a Level 40 version would restore 40 Might. Overall, low-level versions are more popular as the maleficium must penetrate the Demon’s MR to work.
(Base effect, +2 Voice)

Rupturing the Vitreous Orbs
(Debauchery, Malediction, Level 20)
This maleficium causes the target’s eyeballs to explode in a gruesome display of infernal power. The victim suffers a Heavy Wound and is treated as having the “Blindness” Flaw until the wound is fully healed.
(Base 10, +2 Voice)

Scrying upon the Distant Foe
(Incantation, Phantasm, Level 25)
Range: Arcane. Duration: Concentration. Target: Individual.
This maleficium enables the caster to view an enemy (or friend) remotely, provided that she has, in hand, an active Arcane Connection to the person or place that she wishes to spy upon.
(Base 4, Arcane Connection +4, +1 Concentration)

Transmigration of the Reprehensible Spirit
(Debauchery, Consumption, Level 40)
Range: Touch. Duration: Forsaken. Target: Individual.
This maleficium transfers the target’s mind into the victim’s body. The most common use of this effect involves the diabolist transferring her own mind into a younger body and then killing the victim to prevent her from seeking spiritual absolution and thus terminating the effect.
(Base 15, +1 Touch, +4 Forsaken)

Undoing the Worker of Hexes
(Incantation, Malediction, General)
Range: Voice. Duration: Sun. Target: Individual.
This maleficium imposes a penalty and additional botch dice equal to (2 x (Magnitude -4)) to all uses of the target’s Hex ability for the duration. Naturally, a target lacking Hex is completely unaffected.
Example: At Level 25 the target suffers a -2 penalty and two additional botch dice when using Hex. At Level 50, however, the target rolls at -12 and must roll twelve extra botch dice!
(Base effect, +2 Voice, +2 Sun)

1 Like

A little doubt, Divine and Infernal powers need learn the spells really? I didn´t think that nevver... more usefull in hand to hand effects but less for high effects...

Sound cool. Sloightly hermetic for my taste when it comes to the miracles, but hey. I only have a small issue with Restoration of Demonic Potency. Wouldn't that require some sort of sacrifice or the expenditure of vis? Or be a ritual of some sort? othertwise it is too powerful and it cost you naught, and that sounds not right.

Xavi

You're correct, Mario. In most cases users of Methods & Powers do not need to learn formulae. I designed the effects above (and soon to be below) to play around with the guidelines a bit...

I agree, my primary reason for creating this post was mostly to try and see what sort of effects other players had come up with since my own ideas are always so apallingly bland.

In any case, RoDP is by the book. It does seem a bit powerful for its level, but on the other hand it does cost the infernalist a point of Confidence and the effect must penetrate the demon's MR which could limit it's utility somewhat considering the low casting totals associated with M&P (even with True Names)...

OK, thanks. Luck with the Grimoires.

Here are a couple of non- and quasi-Hermetic spells I've used via NPC's in past sagas; Techniques and Forms are for Hermetic equivalent, and because I don't have access to Hedge Magic or Realms of Power. I have also made an attempt to convert ranges, etc. to 5th edition rules as best I can:

Summon the Army of the Night
(ReCo 50, Ritual)
R: Voice, Duration: Year, Target: Group

All dead bodies (except those buried by appropriate religious rites) within range of the caster's voice [originally the range was 100 pace radius] rise from their graves and follow the caster's mental commands. Zombies will follow orders explicitly and without any creative thought; they cannot make decisions or judgments.
This spell was originally used by a renegade magus who learned non-Hermetic necromancy and integrated this knowledge into his own magic. His talisman was a staff of human bone with amber eyes in the skull which was enchanted with several effects that allowed him to control his undead army with some precision, though his minions were always mindless dead.

Curse of the Venomous Infestation
(CrAn 40, Ritual)
R: Voice?, D: Sun., Target: Individual?

When the caster finishes casting this spell a swarm of venomous serpents begins to slither out of his robes (from the bottom, sleeves, etc.) or other clothing, creating a seething infestation of snakes big enough to fill a large dining hall or other large chamber (roughly 10,000 snakes). The snakes attack (or refrain from attacking) anyone the caster directs as long as they remain within range of his voice; the caster may walk and have the serpents follow him, attacking at his command, so long as he maintains concentration. If the caster releases Conc. the snakes will attack or not at SG's discretion (acting as "normal" snakes) until next sunrise/set.
This spell was originally intended for use as a diabolical way for the NPC mage to wipe out a monastery, though his plot was foiled by the player characters in my saga.

Curse of the Heart's True Desire
(InMe 30)
R: Voice, D: Sun/Moon, T: Individual
This causes the target of the spell to immediately comprehend the "true desires" of any individual he/she touches or whose voice he/she can hear. True Desires can be mundane (I'm hungry--desire to eat) but the real meat of the spell is that it enables an individual to know who really wants to, ahem, get down with them, or who wants their overbearing mother killed, etc. This does not control a person, forcing them to act on someone's desires, but by providing an individual with such knowledge it makes ordinary folk far more likely to commit sins such as adultery, etc.

I've made some notes on conversion to Hermetic magic below; although as you say, these were originally non-Hermetic so could be working on different guidelines.

This would be Re(Me)Co 55, and could raise a maximum of 100 corpses. It has a free Mentem requisite to allow them to follow verbal commands. Mental commands aren't currently covered; I'd have this as a non-free Mentem requisite. (base 10, +2 Voice, +4 Year, +2 Group, +1 size)

In ArM5, this would be a Cr(Re)An. You need the Rego requisite to make sure the snakes don't harm the caster and another magnitude to attack as directed (since the ReAn alone to do this would be greater than 30th level). Since Adders are Size -4, a T: Group can create 50 of them (same mass as 10 Size +1 creatures). Thus 5,000 would be +2 size modifiers. I would put the Range at Touch, since the critters are being generated from within your clothing. This makes it Cr(Re)An 55 (base 10, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +2 Group, +2 requisite, +2 size modifiers).

In ArM5, you don't need this to be Sun duration, unless you want to get constant updates about changing desires. This makes it InMe 35 (base 25, +2 Voice), although you could save a magnitude by making it R: Eye.

All cool spells, particularly the middle one.

Cheers,

Mark

You're right about the Mentem req, and upon reviewing my original story notes I note that I had that there as well. My bad. Interestingly enough I also had a more or less arbitrary limit of 100 corpses in the original story (kind of moot, since the necromancer in the story had accumulated thousands of them by the time the PC's learned of his diabolical plot), and I just made a guess at the spell's level--funny I came to within 1 magnitude of its actual level. Again, it didn't really matter, as it was for an NPC, and the players weren't likely to try to emulate it even if they managed to find a copy of the spell.

Again you're right about the req, which I also had listed originally. I am a bit more off on the level than the last one though.

The idea was that you cast it on a person you want to corrupt (it was an Infernal spell) and that person can then detect the true desires of everyone they touch/talk to for the rest of the day, thus giving the individual multiple chances to act on this knowledge and commit a sin or two. But yeah, Eye is better, of course I was using 3rd ed rules so the range was originally Reach.

Thanks. Oddly enough it's the one that didn't ever get used in play. In the story it came from the evil magus was going to get on top of the monastery tower, cast the spell and then walk down the stairs to the ground floor, killing everyone in his path from floor to floor. The players were able to interrupt him before it got cast, which was a good thing, of course.

Those pesky PC, always interrupting the really cool guys :laughing:

Xavi

Neat spells Bash (and Mark!). It’s always nice to see novel applications of the spell guidelines in action.

Hyperborean Hymnists described in Ancient Magic were never intended for use by PCs and the hymns themselves use standard hermetic guidelines, but the style of magic employed by the Hyperboreans is sufficiently different from the hermetic model that some very unique powers are achievable.

Apollo’s Golden Prison
Terram, Pen +6, 3 uses/day
This hymn encases the target in a lump of amber. A creature thus imprisoned cannot move or speak and must immediately begin making Deprivation rolls to avoid suffocation. Due to the unusual nature of Hyperborean magic, the amber created is non-magical and thus cannot be dispelled, though it can be destroyed normally through violence or by appropriate magics.
(Base 25, +2 Voice, +4 Size; +3 Penetration, +2 Uses/Day)
Ease Factor: 20.
Level Cost: 60.
Principle: Amber (Eloure)

Dionysus’ Refreshing Gift
Aquam, Pen +0, 1 use/day
This hymn instantly creates enough wine to fill up to 160 barrels. Due to the unique nature of Hyperborean Magic, the resulting wine is nourishing without requiring a lengthy Ritual or the expenditure of Vis. The hyperboreans made extensive use of this and related powers when provisioning their temples.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Size)
Ease Factor: 2.
Level Cost: 5.
Principle: Fermentation (Pentiterouni)

Hills of Ampelos
Range: Touch. Duration: Momentary. Target: Boundary.
Herbam, Pen +0, 1 use/day
This hymn instantly covers an area 6 miles across in fully grown grape vines. Due the idiosyncrasies of Hyperborean Hymns, the vines created are natural and thus may be harvested repeatedly for many years or wither and die immediately as befits the climate and soil quality of the affected land as well as the season in which the spell is cast.
(Base 1, +1 Touch, +4 Boundary, +4 Size)
Ease Factor: 10.
Level Cost: 30.
Principle: Vines (Semesilam)

Hygeia's Blessing
Terram, Pen +0, 1 use/day
This hymn keeps the caster looking immaculate from dawn until dusk by permanently destroying any dirt that comes into contact with the hymnist or his clothing and equipment for the duration of the effect.
(Base 3, +2 Sun)
Ease Factor: 2.
Level Cost: 5.
Principle: Cleanliness (Iao)

Lay Claim to Hades’ Glittering Hoard
Range: Personal. Duration: Sun. Target: Vision.
Terram, Pen +0, 1 use/day
This hymn allows the caster to perceive the location of buried treasure as a silvery glimmer emanating from the very earth itself. For the purposes of this hymn, “treasure” refers only to gems or precious metals.
(Base 2, +2 Sun, +4 Sight)
Ease Factor: 7.
Level Cost: 20.
Principle: Secrecy (Oai)

Punishment of Lycaeon
Range: Voice. Duration: 19 Years. Target: Individual.
Corpus, Pen +0, 1 use/day
This hymn transforms the target into a wolf for 19 years. This effect is said to have originated with the Cult of Artemis, but was later adopted by her brother’s worshippers who subsequently passed it on to the Hyperboreans.
(Base 10, +2 Voice, +5 19 Years)
Ease Factor: 15.
Level Cost: 45
Principle: Wolves (Oai)

Return to Thanatos’ Chilly Grasp
Mentem, Pen +(user’s total), 1 use/day
This hymn instantly reduces a ghost’s Might Score by a number of points equal to (Level – Levels devoted to Penetration and Uses/Day). Despite the name of this hymn, the exact fate of spirits reduced to 0 Might remains a mystery.
Example: A Level 15 version of this hymn (+5 Penetration, +0 Uses/Day) can strip 10 points of Might from a ghost with an MR of 10 once per day. By contrast, a Level 60 version (+20 Penetration, +10 Uses/Day) could reduce an MR 40 ghost’s Might Score by 30 points as many times per day as the hymnist chooses. In most cases, however, "Uses/Day" is low for such specialized effects.
(Base effect, +2 Voice; X Levels for Penetration)
Ease Factor: Variable.
Level Cost: Variable.
Principle: Ghosts, spirits (Azai)

Selene’s Curse
Range: Voice. Duration: Diameter. Target: Individual.
Corpus, Pen +10, 1 use/day
This hymn prevents the target from doing anything other than shake uncontrollably for the duration of the effect. It is rumoured that the victims of this hymn sometimes experience prophetic visions, but thus far Hermetic Magic has been unable to confirm this.
(Base 5, +2 Voice, +1 Diameter; +5 Penetration)
Ease Factor: 9.
Level Cost: 25.
Principle: Trembling (Pentiterouni)

Servitors of Ares
Range: Voice. Duration: Sun. Target: Group.
Mentem, Pen +0, 1 use/day
This hymn inclines a group to react to outsiders with murderous rage. In game terms, the victims of this effect should be treated as having the “Violent” Personality Trait with a value of +3. This hymn was originally designed for use in military training exercises, but was found to be too dangerous for that purpose.
(Base 5, +2 Voice, +2 Sun, +2 Group)
Ease Factor: 12.
Level Cost: 35.
Principle: Aggression, conflict (Psyrinpheu)

Shunning the Naiad’s Kiss
Range: Touch. Duration: Year. Target: Group.
Aquam, Pen +0, 1 use/day
This hymn causes a large river to stop flowing for a full year. Naturally, communities dependent upon the targeted river for their livelihood experience terrible hardship. This spell was originally used to assist in the construction of hydrological works, but eventually fell out of favour due to the high risk to communities downstream from the construction site.
(Base 10, +1 Touch, +4 Year, +2 Group)
Ease Factor: 15.
Level Cost: 45.
Principle: Rivers (Eloure)

1 Like

The Gruagachan tradition presented in Hedge Magic: Revised Edition is somewhat limited in the breadth of effects available to them, but the flexibility of its forms and the unique spell parameters used do present some fascinating spell-design possibilities…

Advance of the Rabid Horde (Give, Vision, Level 20)
Range: Voice. Duration: Diameter. Target: Group.
This spell creates a visual and auditory illusion that a pack of wolves is charging towards the target howling ferociously, a bloody froth streaming voluminously from their snarling muzzles.
(Base 2, +2 Voice, +1 Diameter, +1 Group, +2 Moving Image)

Blessing of Preternatural Vigour
(Give, Blessing, Level 35)
Range: Conversation. Duration: Limit. Target: Group.
This spell grants its targets a +2 bonus on all Stamina-based rolls for the duration. Typically, a senior Gruagach would cast this spell to fortify his followers prior to leading them into battle.
Example: The spell could be made to remain in effect until the target becomes “Tired” from fatigue loss.
(Base 20, +2 Limit (general), +1 Group)

Circumventing the Stubborn Buckler
(Take, Blessing, Level 25)
Range: Voice. Duration: Limit. Target: Individual.
This spell reduces the target’s Parma Magica score to 0. One common variation on this effect involves reducing the Duration to Momentary so as to potentially increase the Penetration Total.
Example: It has come to the attention of a local Gruagach that a Hermetic Magus has been hunting faeries for Vis near his fen and uses this spell to reduce the target’s MR so that the fae can administer their own, indubitably more creative, punishment upon the miscreant!
(Base 10, +1 Voice, +2 Limit (general))

Disguise of the Glorious Oak
(Give, Shape, Level 35)
Range: Personal. Duration: Sun. Target Individual.
This spell transforms the caster into a truly magnificent oak tree, over 80 feet tall and overflowing with lush foliage. This is a potentially risky transformation, however, as the gruagach is largely helpless while in tree-form.
(Base 10, +2 Sun, Size +3)

Gift of the Envenomed Tongue
(Give, Blessing, Level 30)
Range: Conversation. Duration: Limit. Target: Individual.
This spell confers the supernatural ability “Embitterment” upon the target, complete with an effective score of 4.
(See “Tales of Mythic Europe” for details on Embitterment).
Example: This spell might be made to persist until the target raises his voice in anger.
(Base 20, +2 Limit (general))

Gruagach’s Curse
(Give, Curse, Level 30)
Range: Voice. Duration: Limit. Target: Individual.
This spell imposes the “Dwarf” flaw upon the target, reducing his Size to -2.
Example: A gruagach witnesses a village tough extorting food and drink from the local villagers and casts this spell to punish the ruffian, marking him with an unmistakable sign of Gruagach’s disfavour until such a time as he acts to protect those weaker than himself.
(Base 15, +1 Voice, +2 Limit (general)).

Sight of the Obedient Fetch
(Take, Vision, Level 15)
Range: Personal. Duration: Diameter. Target: Vision.
This spell enables the caster to perceive the world through his Fetch’s eyes and ears. This means that the gruagach can send his fetch out to investigate potentially dangerous situations while he remains safe at home.
(Base 2, +1 Diameter, +4 Vision)

Stupefy the Offending Scholar
(Give, Curse, Level 30)
Range: Conversation. Duration: Limit. Target: Individual.
This spell reduces the target’s Intelligence score by -3.
Example: The village gruagach has learned that the tax collector has been cheating the simple villagers. To punish the clerk for his greed, the gruagach casts this spell to shrivel his intellect until he successfully outwits someone despite his diminished mental faculties.
(Base 25, +1 Limit (sweeping)

The Expedient Steed
(Give, Shape, Level 15)
Range: Conversation. Duration: Sun. Target: Individual.
This spell transforms a willing target into a horse. Due to the nature of Gruagachan Magic, the target’s gear is also changed into riding tack. Changing the duration to Limit is a popular variation for long journeys because it causes the recipient less Warping than repeated application of this version and allows the target to terminate the effect early if need be.
(Base 3, +1 Conversation, +2 Sun, +1 Size)

The Poacher’s Lament
(Take, Shape, Level 25)
Range: Voice. Duration: Geas. Target: Individual.
This spell transforms the victim into a rabbit should he ever violate the geas.
Example: A gruagach has caught a poacher setting traps in his fen and lays a geas upon the intruder so that should he ever set foot in the gruagach’s land again, he will be immediately transformed into a bunny and remain in that shape until he successfully eludes a predator.
(Base 5, +2 Voice, +2 Geas (general), Limit (general))

2 Likes

The learned magicians detailed in Hedge Magic Revised Edition are similar to hermetic magi in many respects, but their reliance upon Amulets and Chartae introduces some novel effects.

Amulet against Infernal Infiltration
(Vulnero, Magicam, General)
Range: Touch. Duration: Season. Target: Structure.
This amulet wards a structure against beings with Infernal Might of (Level – 25) or less. This amulet must penetrate a Demon’s MR to be effective so levels of Penetration must be assigned to when designing the effect, but because most learned magicians live within a Dominion Aura it needn’t usually be very high.
Example: A Level 30 amulet would protect against Demons with a Might of 5 or less without requiring any additional penetration. To protect against a Might 20 Demon, however, would require a Level 45 Amulet with 5 levels spent on penetration for a total of 50.
(Base effect, +2 Season, +3 Structure)

An Amulet to View the Unseen
(Succurro, Magicam, Level 25)
Range: Touch. Duration: Season. Target: Individual.
This amulet confers the supernatural ability of Second Sight with a score of 4. This amulet is common among the Cunning Folk and those learned magicians interested in the study of spirits. The amulet itself usually takes the form of a round stone with a hole in the centre.
(Base 10, +3 Season)

Asclepius’ Magnificent Amulet
(Tueor, Fortunam, General)
This amulet bolsters the target’s luck against professional disaster, reducing the number of botch dice he rolls for his Medicine ability by (Magnitude -3). This amulet only works for Medicine, but similar amulets exist for other abilities.
Example: A Level 25 amulet would subtract two botch dice while a Level 50 version would subtract a whopping seven dice.
(Base effect, +3 Season)

Charm of Victorious Nike
(Succurro, Fortunam, Level 15)
This charm twists fortune to the caster’s advantage, granting him a +2 bonus to Athletics rolls due to a series of unlikely coincidences. Note that, unlike the majority of “Personal” range magical effects, Succurro Fortunam spells and enchantments must penetrate a foe’s MR to influence contested rolls.
(Base 5, +2 Sun)

Curse of the Besotted Brawler
(Vulnero, Fortunam, Level 25)
This charm imposes a -3 penalty on the victim’s next Brawl roll by turning chance against him in a variety of unexpected ways. As with other Vulnero Fortunam spells, the target is also subject to a multitude of minor misfortunes for as long as the effect persists.
(Base 10, +2 Voice, +1 Diameter)

Curse of the Weary Scholar
(Vulnero, Salutem, Level 15)
This charm causes the target to feel a searing pain in the back of his head imposing a -3 penalty to any Concentration rolls.
(Base 4, +2 Voice, +1 Diameter)

Protection against the Fiery Missile
(Tueor, Magicam, General)
Range: Touch. Duration: Sun. Target: Individual.
This charm grants the target a Soak bonus equal to (2 x (Level – 15)) against magically created fire. This charm is widely circulated amongst those learned magicians who are familiar with the OoH.
Example: The Level 20 version of this spell would grant a +10 Soak bonus to while at Level 50 it provides +70 Soak.
(Base effect, +1 Touch, +2 Sun)

Remedy to the Mad Dog’s Malady
(Succurro, Salutem, Level 20)
This amulet provides the target with a +24 bonus to Recovery rolls against Rabies for the duration of the amulet’s effect.
(Base 5, +3 Season)

Uncovering the Hidden Prize
(Succurro, Magicam, Level 20)
Range: Touch. Duration: Season. Target: Boundary.
This amulet allows the caster to detect the presence of any usable forms of Vis within the boundaries specified when the amulet was created. Occasionally additional magnitudes may be required if the magician wishes to affect a particularly large area.
(Base 1, +3 Season, +4 Boundary)

Ward against Housebreakers
(Tueor, Salutem, Level 30)
Range: Touch. Duration: Sun. Target Structure.
This charta prevents any human from entering the targeted Structure for the duration of the effect. Note that this charta is ineffective against any being with a Might Score and must penetrate other sources of MR.
(Base 10, +1 Sun, Structure +3)

2 Likes

The magic of the Vitkir tradition in Hedge Magic: Revised Edition is very different from the Hermetic model, giving rise to all sorts of exotic magical effects that are largely unknown in other lands.

(the runemaster) carves these runes to beggar his enemy
Fehu (Mannaz) General, Method II
This script causes the victim (usually targeted via an Arcane Connection) to suffer a penalty equal to the magnitude of the script on all ability rolls involving the acquisition or retention of Wealth.
Example: At Level 15 this script imposes a -3 penalty to the target’s finance rolls while the Level 55 version reduces rolls related to monetary well-being by -11.

(the runemaster) carves these runes to incinerate his foes
Kauno (Mannaz) 30, Method II
This script causes a person to whom the caster has an Arcane Connection to burst into flames inflicting +15 damage. This script is usually cast by wrapping a hair from the target around a stick and carving the necessary Runes. Alternately, the vitkir might carve the rune on a spear or arrow belonging to the target.

(the runemaster) loosens Hel’s steely grip
Ihwaz 25, Method II
This script, when carved upon a gravestone, animates the corpse buried beneath. Those who received proper burial rites associated with a Divine religion are immune to the effects, but such individuals are rare in Norse lands The revenant created by this effect not under the caster’s control per se, but it could perhaps be controlled with other magics.

(the runemaster) summons a bountiful feast
Jera 15, Method II
This script summons a sumptuous feast sufficient to feed four people to the caster via an Arcane Connection. The food and mead summoned are real and nourishing, but because the same items are summoned each time the spell is enacted, the effects are not cumulative. The AC used is typically a serving cloth with the caster’s name embroidered on it.

I (the runemaster) armor myself in runes
Algiz General, Method I
This script confers upon the target a Soak bonus equal to (Magnitude) and is usually engraved on a piece of jewellery or a small wooden pendant that can be worn suspended from the target's neck.
Example: The Level 20 version of this script grants a+4 Soak bonus while a Level 50 version would provide a Soak of +10.

I (the runemaster) carve the runes of longevity
Dagaz General, Method I
This script grants the target a bonus to Aging rolls equal to (Magnitude) and is usually inscribed upon a piece of jewellery. Because the effects are terminated if the target ever removes the item bearing the runes, this script is more commonly designed using Method II and then hiding the rune-bearing item.
Example: The Level 20 version of this script grants the target a +4 bonus to Aging rolls while a Level 55 version provides a bonus of +11.

I (the runemaster) carve these runes to undo the malicious hex
Perth General, Method I
This script instantly dispels any ongoing supernatural effect afflicting the target, provided that the level of the targeted spell (or supernatural ability x 5) is equal to or less than (Level / 2).
Example: The Level 20 version of this script dispels effects of 10th level or less while the Level 50 variant can dispel 25th level magics.

I (the runemaster) relieve the weary ox of his load
Uruz General, Method I
This script reduces the target’s Encumbrance by (Magnitude), allowing the target to carry tremendous weights. The runes are typically scratched onto the surface of the load to be carried, but may also be carved onto a yoke or saddle for Method II versions.
Example: A Level 10 script reduces the target’s Encumbrance by 2 while a Level 40 version lowers Encumbrance by 8.

I (the runemaster) shall not sire a child this night
(Berkanan 15, Method I)
This script, when carved onto piece of jewellery and worn by the target, prevents romantic indiscretions from resulting in pregnancy. As written, this effect terminates if the jewellery is removed but it could also be created as a Method II effect if an active AC and a suitable target rune are included when the script is being prepared.

I (the runemaster) walk unseen
Sowilo 20, Method I
This script is generally carved onto a small piece of wood carried on the target’s person, making her invisible. The target still casts a shadow and leaves tracks, however, so a good Stealth score is highly recommended.

2 Likes

[u]Mythic Christianity - The Templars & Their Allies[/u]
The following is based on the Templars as a holy tradition of Mythic Companions. It is assumed a Templar company numbers about 1000 men, of which about 100 are Templar Knights proper and the rest are sergeants, auxilieries, and so on. All Knights are Mythic Companions, privy to a Holy Tradition teaching the method of Invocation and the power of Wonders. They are led by the Master Templar, which is assumed to be experienced, with the rest being mostly "journeyman" knights. They are accompanied by Chaplains, priests who guide them spiritually; these, too, are Mythic Companions, of their own (Mythic Priest) Holy Tradition, with the favored abilities Invocation, Blessing, Adjuration and, critically, Ceremony. They are also accompanied by Hospitallers, healers who tend to the wounded. Finally, the Templars have the unique capacity to create a mobile Dominion aura, focused on a mobile war altar instead of a fixed chapel's altar.

A journeyman Termplar knight is quite capable - he is assumed to have (Communication + Invocation + Wonders) of 13. A Master Templar is far more capable, with a total of about 20. Chaplains have comparable totals with Adjuration and Blessing. Within the tempered Dominion aura of the war altar, and assuming a minor further invocation, the journeyman can invoke a level 20-30 miracle, and a master a level 25-35 one.
The true supernatural power of the Templars, however, stems from their use of Ceremony. A Chaplain can add the (Communication + Invocation) of about 5 more chaplains and/or knights to the totals, providing a bonus of about +40 and allowing the Templars to cast level 70 miracles. These are used to induce long term effects on the Templar forces and on the aura emanating from the war altar. Ceremony also aids in bolstering Holy Influence and tempering the aura.
Finally, the Templars can also rely, to some degree, on their Divine allies - their patron saint, St. Martin (Might 50), the company's Principality (Might 10) and the order's Principality (Might 15), and other angels and archangels of interest.

The Hospitaller's Prayer
Meditation Blessing 10
This meditation provides a +3 bonus to Recovery rolls for that season, for the target. Each additional magnitude increases the bonus by +3, e.g. +12 at level 25.
Hospitallers often accompany Templar forces, practicing Medicine to aid the injured. They are often respected even by the Saracens, and have been known to heal even heretics and infidels (athlough never diabolists). A Hospitaller in a field-hospital will nearly always devote an hour of silent prayer to a patient in his hospital soon after admission, enacting this miracle to aid his recovery.
(B 1, +1 touch, +4 season)

Shield of Chivalry
Invocation Wonders [actually Meditation Transcendence] 12
This effect protects the knight from un-chivalrous attacks, such as arrows. He is completely immune to damage from bows, and others mundane attacks from beyond 50 paces.
Templar knights generally cast this miracle at dawn, providing them protection from arrows for the whole day. Master Templars typically cast variants at Touch ragne on the Chaplains of the company.
(As Transcendance Base 4, +2 sun, +0.5 longer)

The Gift of Cloudless Sky
Invocation Wonders 20
This ritual is used to ensure fine weather, clearing the sky of any storm. Templars don't like to wage war over mud.
(B 5, +1 touch, +2 sun)

Column of Divine Fire
Invocation Wonders 25
The caster calls forth a pillar of fire to immolate the heretic, doing +15 damage. A level 40 variant does +30 damage.
Templar knights occasionally use this miracle on the battlefield, but only in dire straits. Only Master Templars are capable of manifesting the level 40 variant, and that too only with great risk of hubris. [Compare and contrast with a Flambeau, that throws a Pilum of Fire with impunity and usually manages to throw Ball of Abysmal Flame with ease as well. Clearly, Templars are seriously underpowered in comparison.]
(B 15, +2 voice)

Excisement of the Anathema
Invocation [Purity] Adjuration 25
This effect forces a non-Divine creature to flee your presence. He may not return until the next Sunday. This miracle is cast, occasionally, by Chaplains on the field of battle.
(B5, +2 presence, +2 sabbath)

Light of Heaven
Invocation Wonders 25
A beam of light draws down from the sky, illuminating the target. Any demon, or other non-Divine supernatural being, caught in it suffers +20 damage. Templar knights may use this power when fighting demons, or creatures they consider to be demons (such as faeries).
(B 15, +2 voice)

A Glimpse of Hell
Invocation Wonders 35
This invocation calls forth the fires of hell, or a shadow of them, to engulf the unbelievers [up to 10, targeted with a Finesse roll], doing +15 damage. It is sometimes invoked by Master Templars in battle.
(B 15, +2 voice, +2 faith)

Papal Delegate
Invocation Blessing 35
This hollow ritual, conducted only with the approval of the pope himself, authorizes the target as a delegate and emissary of the supreme pontiff, with full spiritual authority to lead all in service to the holy cause. It is employed to grant authority to kings and other leaders of the crusades, allowing them spiritual authority over holy orders and priests that otherwise outrank them. For anyone that takes part in the crusade, the target of this ceremony becomes Inspirational - until he sins. The duration of this effect can be embarrassingly short, for some recipients.
(B 10, +1 touch, +4 grace)

A Just Temper
Invocation Blessing 40
This simple ritual instantly tempers an aura, granting it a +1 temper decided by the caster. A level 50 variant provides +2 and a level 60 variant provides +3.
This invocation is rarely used, the Master Templar usually prefering to temper the aura using his (Presence + Leadership), in a ceremony guided by the Chaplain. But some companies, and leaders, prefer to use this ceremony instead.
(B Gen, +1 touch, +2 sun; target is assumed to be Individual)

Cleanse the Infernal Infestation
Invocation [Purity] Adjuratuion 40
This effect purges the area from any non-Divine supernatural creatures. Creatures who manage to resist the effect are unaffected by it, but those who fail cannot return until the end of the next Sunday [slightly changing the normal duration].
(B 5, +1 touch, +2 sabbath, +4 dominion)

Consecrating the Hospital
Meditation Blessing 45
This special ceremony, conducted by the Master Hospitaller aided by other knights, is repeated yearly, traditionally on Easter. It suffuses the whole hospital with divine favor, granting a +3 bonus to all Recovery rolls within it. A level 70 variant would grant a +18 bonus.
The Hospitallers maintain only a few permanent hospitals, but these are always consecrated in this manner. The hospitals also always contain a chapel, and the local aura is Tempered to provide a further +1 to +3 bonus to any healing and compassionate acts. Field-hospitals rarely enjoy such amenities, however.
(B1, +1 touch, +4 year, +3 structure, +4 ritual)

The Knight's Ration
Invocation Wonders 50
Creates nourishing food or water, enough for a thousand men for ten days. Master Templars, guided by Chaplains, often invoke this miracle to sustain long campaigns, alleviating logistical difficulties.
(B 5, +1 touch, +4 permanent, +4 size)

Call Forth the Beast of Divine Wrath
Invocation Wonders 55
This powerful ritual, usually enacted only against tenacious foes of the faith before entering the field of battle, summons forth a ferocious divine being that descends upon the enemy. The precise nature of the beast varies, but it is most often a lion of great size, with the power to seed fear in the enemy ranks, and Divine Might 10.
This ceremony is conducted by the Master Templar before battle, guided by the Chaplain. The powers and nature of the beast God chooses is seen as an omen by the Templars.
(B 30, +1 touch, + 2 sun)

Conjuring the Knight's Steed
Invocation Wonders 55
This ritual is enacted whenever a new knight joins the Templar order, and summons forth a Divine stallion for him to ride. The stallion has Divine Might 5, and can extend his Magic Resistance to his rider (this MR stacks with MR from Faith points). It is brave and loyal to his owner, and of superb physical capability. Should the knight lose grace, however, committing a deadly sin, the stallion will abandon him.
Templars always ride Divine stallions into battle or on duty, but never for recreational purposes (like travel or hunting). A Templar whose stallion has abandoned him will sometimes use a mundane horse, especially in the middle of a campaign, but prolonged use of a mundane horse will raise suspicion of spiritual impurity among his companions. A Templar whose steed was lost in the heat of battle will usually have it resurrected, using this same miracle, at a later date.
Divine stallions are invariably entirely white, with a silver mane.
(B 30, +1 touch, +4 permanent)

Restoration of the Adamite Form
Meditation [Purity] Intervention 55
This ritual reattaches lost limbs, restores sight, and otherwise returns the person to His image. This sombre ritual is usually only conducted by the Master Hospitaller, aided by fellow knights, on rare occasions and patients. It is conducted regularly in Loudes, making it the prime healing site of pilgrimage in Mythic Europe.
(B 30, +1 touch, +4 permanent)

The Hospitaller's Healing Touch
Meditation [Purity] Intervention 60
The monk lays his hands over the patient, meditating on his health, until his wounds are made whole. This is a very powerful ritual, only rarely conducted, and even so can only heal a Light Wound - but does so instantly. A level 65 is needed to heal a Medium wound, and level 70 to heal a Heavy Wound. Level 75, an an almost unheared of power, will instantly heal an Incapacitating Wound, and level 80 all wounds.
(B 35, +1 touch, +4 permanent)

Blessing the Crusade
Invocation Blessing 70
This powerful miracle is usually invoked as the company embarks on a new stage of the crusade. It grants a +1 bonus to all activities that further the crusade, for all who attend the ceremony [up to 1000], as long as they remain in Grace. This bonus stacks with other bonuses, such as a tempered aura or invoking god's aid.
(B Gen 20, +2 voice, +4 grace, +2 group, +2 size)

Contrasimony Blessing
Invocation Blessing 70
This miracle is often enacted by the Master Chaplain before setting out on a crusade against supernaturally powerful opponents - including Saracen sorcerers, but also Hermetic magi. All those attending the ceremony [up to 100] receive a Magic Resistance of 45 for 40 days and 40 nights. This MR stacks with other sources of Divine MR, such as Faith points or the knight's mount.
(B Gen 5, +2 voice, +3 40, +2 group, +1 size)

Revelation of the Spirits
Invocation Adjuration 70
This effect makes any invisible spirit, being, or wizard in the aura to be revealed to sight, neutering its invisibility. Hermetic invisibility spells are likewise shattered, unless their spell level is above 50 (making them Rituals).
Chaplains cast this miracle on the mobile aura of a war altar, often ahead of time, using Ceremony to reach the required high miracle levels.
(B 35, +1 touch, +4 dominion, +2 sabbath)

Resurrection of the Dead
Meditation [Purity] Intervention 95
The caster brings back the target from the dead. No one in living memory has accomplished this level of miracle since Jesus.
(B 70, +1 touch, +4 permanent)

1 Like

Neat spells YR7, I'd never really considered the possibility of using requisites to produce more complex effects before...

One small disagreement I have is that I was under the impression that the guidelines used in Restoration of the Adamite Form, The Hospitaller's Healing Touch, and Resurrection of the Dead already included the +4 "permanent" parameter as indicated in the 3rd paragraph on page 48.

Some of those effects are cool, but I am one of those that considers that this ammount of miracle work might trivialize the Divine. If miracles are so common they stop being awesome to become just something you mentioon at dinner time. (joking mode ON)
"Today I went to church and wintnessed a miracle"
"Oh yeah? was it cool?"
"Nah, more like a beer and pretzels one: If you go to church I would avoid that movie... err... miracle..."

That instead of "BEHOLD!! THE PIECE OF BREAD JUST BECAME A FINGER!!! LET'S INCLUDE IT IN DOCTRINE!!!

I feel that the level of divine intervention presented in the above case is more along the lines of the former than the later. Not bad per se, but it stretches my understanding on what were supposed to be miraculous actions quite a bit :slight_smile:

Tempering auras and a bonus to attack vs demons et al is OK. It is great in fact :slight_smile: However, incinerating unholy dudes on a regular basis is not, even if they are heretics. The commandment of Thou Shall Not Kill does not put non-capital sinners out of the code. Hermetics are supposed to be able to do that. The agents of the divine do not: they can cast DEO equuivalents (with the cosmetic effect of the demon being consumed in flames if you want) but as written that kind of effects made me grimace. Same with regular massive healing et al. Why study medicine when a phone call to the guy above will solve everything? :confused:

I really like the concept you describe (and a lot of the spells are fine for SPECIAL miracles), talking about "regular" miracles is "not right" (TM) at least IMS. Regular miracles stop being miraculous to become an instrument of the infernal. Reliability is not something I would place with the Divine realm, at least.

I would make the guy lose 1 point of Faith per Miracle worked or something like that in order to limit the frequency of miracles. I know this is by the book, so I guess this is why I play using ROP:I but not ROP:D

For me the divine intervention should be WAY less visible. A +1 to +3 bonus to the rolls to certain activites OK. Casting flames, Teleport to Hell spells and superglueing detached arms regularly back in place is too much. Even the bonuses to healing are massive. A +2 would be the maximum I would allow here, but hey. It is not precisely like the Hospitallier hospitals cured everybody staying there of every malady and wound they had: massive numbers of people died there on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Xavi

Then again, I perfectly agree with you, Xavi.
This, IMO, looks more like an order of Paladins from D&D than knights templars (especially the mount thing :wink: ). Nonetheless, most of the problems you describe come from 2 things:

• The asumption that all knights are mythic companions, which, anyway, I consider to be a very high powered one (compare to most hedge traditions where most practicionners aren't mythic companions)
  • Rather high level of skills (4+ in 3 skills for a journeyman, almost 7 in 3 skills for a master).

If you change things so that:

• Most templars are just "knights"
  • A few of these are companions with mystic virtues
  • A few of these are mythic companions
  • As they need to develop a host of other skills, their divine abilities are lower

You end up with the more powerful effects being far less common, not only because of more "reasonnable" skills, but also because there will be far fewer knights with the relevant skills.
You just have, then, to tone down the effects, and/or consider that it is a rare occurence indeed, that see powerfull enough templars congregate for such an event.

Then again, YMMV, and one may want a templar order that is comparable, if not superior, in power to the OOH.

Gremlin44 is correct; all of those effects that include permanent healing should be 20 levels lower.

1 Like

While I agree that you have a point, I feel that this has to be weighed up against the fact that miracles were meant to be relatively common. People prayed to saints etc all the time for miracles, and miracles were regularly granted.

Of course, with our 21st century nouse we might claim it was all delusion, but from the perspective of the 13th century miracles are an everyday occurrence.