OOC chat

The covenant charter will have a few required variations:

1. the covenant will lay claim to any lands it has improved not previously claimed by any other power for which they have not received compensation for their labor.
  2. where it indicates that all magi must keep to the oath of hermes it will have been edited to indicate "the revised oath of hermes"
  3. the covenant will pledge to protect the magi and any family they have in residence.
1 Like

Hey folks, had a busy day so far. I'll get a post done when I get home from work in a few hours.

1 Like

I'm not really clear yet on what Tastheus should be studying to help out. If nothing else he can study Magic Theory to improve his ability to help someone else learn a high level Aegis.

As it stands, he has an Int 2 + MT (Spells) 3, for a total of +6.

6+8 for aura is 14, so unless Tastheus has bonuses to Muto or Vim or inventing spells or general from his lab (or overwork), he would have to get 11 more to learn a level 25 spell. With our books, that necessarily means studying for at least 3 seasons, after which he would have to learn the Vigil in season 4.

And he has deficient Muto, so it's probably going to be more, and not very efficient.

I don't think it's worth the trouble, since we don't need everyone participating in the Vigil.

The level 50 Aegis is, I think, out of the picture for now, and we'll have to survive with 30 for the foreseeable future. This is because we would need a higher-level Vigil to avoid a relatively high chance of botching, and before everyone had learned it, we would be several years in. It's a solid long-term goal, though - if you don't know what else to do with your season, learning MuVi or theory is always a good bet.

Edit: There's other communally-useful stuff he could do, of course. We'll probably need to learn some stuff for travel, for instance, for which corpus is useful. And we'll need to find and collect those vis sources, which might be dangerous.

1 Like

Assuming we can have 3-4 copies of the Wizard's Vigil made in one season, we will have 4 Magi capable of casting it in two seasons.

Based on the chart we need 4 copies so we can have 5 reading it, but a Scribe of only 2 is enough for that with time to spare

Am not sure what the following are:

Set-beast
Horus-beast
Takafsa

So at this point, should I post for Tastheus in the investigations section? He is curious to find any enchanted items, Mercere portal etc.

Set-beast
Horus-beast
No clue about the last one. Or if I am even correct...

You can cast it ceremonially, and not suffer fatigue.

You

Excellent point, thank you! It takes about as long without rest, as well, and no botch die.

You invested in Artes Liberalles and Philosophiae, with a Ceremonial Casting specialty, might as well make use of it

1 Like

The set beast and Horus beast are both referenced in Lands of the Nile
The Takafsa is (to the degree that I can recreate my original search) a sort of African wild dog/hell hound/shadow hound type creature. Basically, it looks like a blurry black wild dog.

1 Like

I understand that the initial private message was sent so that not anyone would be able to access the link. Could we, for the rest of the ooc chat, start using this thread again?

1 Like

Hmm I am curious about this walnut tablet. I assume since Silas noticed it and could figure out the effect there is already a list of personality traits displayed on it? If so is something he could recognize as possibly his own on it? Or did he touch it and the item penetrated, only revealing his and for him alone? I am not trying to cheese my way out of investigating it properly in the lab. It just seems that Silas already found out a little, so I am just interested in how it happened.

Also curious about personality from the warping.

The tablet has no penetration, but he is able to locate the lab notes, and with it is a written list of personality traits, including angry, violent, and hubris, along with your current personality traits.

1 Like

@silveroak Are you ok with us drafting up a description of our labs/sancta based on the details we've uncovered so far? I'm thinking of this more as a writing exercise as a necessity but thought it might be fun to imagine them.

From what I gather, the magi of Al Kufra each have their own dwelling (building). In that building, the magus has his lab and living quarters. Those living quarters might include a bedroom, kitchen, sand other rooms like a studio or stall.

I'm also curious about the architectural style of the buildings. I would guess it's Moorish architecture (11th to 13th century). Possibly like here: NG: Moorish Architecture Perhaps more or less ornate depending on the magi. Or is it more rustic?

Again, not critical to the game but more curious and thinking about how the quarters and lab might look and feel.

It is mostly Moorish, except where it is French, and yes, feel free to write up the descriptions. Obviously, Lares house will be Moorish, Plasmetoris will be French, the others go with how you feel about your character.

Is it reasonable that "palatial" element of the lab would extend to the building itself? I'm thinking here of how Argentius may have adopted the Moorish styles with arches and more elaborate tiling/mosaic kind of work seen in some of the Moorish buildings of the period.

considering that one of the major benefits of palatial is that the health benefit offsets the penalty for vile surroundings that seems entirely reasonable,