OOC Talk - Character Creation

-6 seemed really tiny; I had listed the size of my magical badger companion as -2. Looking at the table on pg 192 of ArM, I think I may need to revise the size. -2 is the size of a child or sheep; -3 is the size of a baby or cat. Where does a badger fit in?

slow grin

Compared with these two (cat and sheep), its hard to say, but i´d say that its closer to the cat. So Size -3. But i dont think its too important.

Heres my stats for my familiar to be:

Magical Squirrel (Ratatöskr)

Magic Might: 16
Characteristics: Int +2 Per +1, Pre –2, Com 0, Str -8, Sta 0, Dex +3, Qik +4
Size: -6
Decrepitude: n/a
Virtues and Flaws: Perfect Balance, Lightning reflexes, Reclusive
Personality Traits: Cautious +3, Curious +1
Reputations: n/a
Combat: (Teeth) Init +4; Att +7; Def +5; Dam -7
Soak: +1
Wound Penalties: -1 (1), -3 (2), -5 (3), Inc (4)
Fatigue Levels: OK, Winded (0), Weary (-1), Tired (-3), Dazed (-5), Unconscious
Abilities: Athletics (Climb) 4, Awareness (danger) 3, Brawl (teeth) 2, Stealth (hiding) 4, Survival (in winter) 3
Powers:
not too many ideas so far, but nothing spectacular. maybe some jumping, "flying" (from tree to tree) power.

Equipment: none
Encumbrance: 0
Vis: 2 pawns of Herbam in the tail
Appearance: A typical european squirrel, which means it has a reddish colour (the north-american grey squirrel came to europe much later)

Funny name. Is he connected to the real thing in any way?

Also, game starts tomorrow, in theory!

How's everybody looking?

OK all done now!

I just got a copy of HoH:S, and have been furiously reading, but I think I'm good to go.

Almost forgot!
According to HoH:S, Tytalus magi make a copy of "The Analects of Tytalus" during their apprenticeship. I need to revisit the rules for copying texts; is it okay if I include a copy in my possessions?

The book is listed on page 74 of HoH:S.

Pfhew...Master's taking a punch on me....writing these days... :slight_smile:

Zlorfik a 15-20vis usage during 10 years without a personal vis source is slightly askew...8-10 more appropriate :slight_smile: And the Lab looks a-okay

Achimdes - go ahead with the copy :slight_smile:

We sat the start date for 1st October (Keep forgetting how you Americans write your dates!), so we do have another month to go :slight_smile:

Well I'm not American! And to be honest I meant to say September 1st.. But ok, another month sounds good!

Ok, i finished my mage with history, advancement and all. Following is the mage at the age of 37 with all advancement factored in. I edited my old post to contain the mage after gaunlet if you wanna check the math: https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/ooc-talk-character-creation/4090/39
Did some changes to the first draft, but mostly minor ones. Main thing i did was ditch the virtue Study bonus and replace it with a personal vis source. Even factoring in the need to change my personal vis into other arts, i hope the amount of vis i spent in my 10 years of advancement is thus ok (its 21 pawns total).

Its not like Johann faced the same problems as lots of other gifted kids before him, he was never beaten up or humiliated in public because he was so strange. He is, after all, the third son of Baron Willem van Dijk. And on the other hand he faced just the same problems as all those other kids. His father was very proud of his first two sons and the way they developed. The eldest, who showed every sign of promise to become a good and just ruler. The second born, who was strong and agile and had the spirit of a fierce warrior. He would surely become a fine knight. And then his wife gave birth to this strange, sickly and clumsy weakling. Who took his mothers life on the childbed to boot. Who grew up to pose the strangest questions in a way, that made his father look stupid compared to this 8year-old. The baron loathed his youngest and Johann grew up in a very strange enviroment. He missed no mundane things, he was always fed well and dressed warm. But emotionally and mentally, he was starving and shivering. What life his father had planned for him, some minor role in aiding his eldest brother run the estate (no way this strange kid could be let into the outside world and bring shame to the name van Dijk!), was giving Johann the bleakest outlook into the future.
This all changed when at the age of 12 a kind of wandering scholar visited the estate and in some way coerced his farther into letting him teach the boy some latin and a few sermons. The scholar was of course his future parens and Johann left his home in a hurry, with not regrets at all. He embraced his new life fully and finally thinks that he knows what to do with his life.
While learning about magic in general and the jerbiton approach specifically (not that his parens showed him many alternatives), Johann found out, that some magic came very naturally to him. He was rather amazed when he soon found out that he was able to produce a rather mighty magical effect with no effort and so was his parens.
Pelagan is thus torn between
a) what he was taught by his master and knows to be the kind of lifestyle he envisions for him (mentem and corpus magic, influencing people, scholarly research) and
b) what comes naturally to him, from whatever source deep inside him (his focus for wood, his talent to change into a mighty creature of the forest, a general interest in herbam magic)
This struggle is symbolized by his Sigils, the voting sigil beeing an active choice and his magic sigil coming naturally.

First and foremost Pelagan is driven by his ambition for all kinds of scholarly research. He studies alot and likes to exchange thoughts with others, on either magical or mundane topics. Because of both distance and the effect of his gift on mundanes, he prefers to express himself in letters. But he doenst mind discussing aspects of magic theory in person for hours without end...Somewhere in the past Pelagan was introduced by his parens to Lady Corijs. As far as society allowed, she is also interested in knowledge and scholarly research, meaning she mostly concentrates on canon religious belief. Because of this concentration, she is much more knowledgeable in this area, but couldnt every express things as beautifully as Pelagan, for which she admires him. The two have always kept contact via letters since visits were rare. As things turned out, Pelagan was looking for a new covenant about the same time as Lady Corjis´ husband died, her lands were taken over by the vile Lord Onkerdonk and she seeked refugee.

Pelagan is wary of the natural side of his magic, but willing to explore it more. He found and befriended another magical creature of the wood, a squirrel, that he hopes will give him new insights into his own personality.

Name: Pelegan ex Jerbiton filius Felix ex Jerbiton Birth Name: Johann van Dijk
Age: 37 Size: 0 Confidence: 1 [3] Decrepitude:0 (2) Warping: 2 (0)
Gender: Male Nationality: Dutch Height: 5´ 10" Weight: 150 pounds
Hair: brown Eyes: brown Handedness: Right Religion: Christian Title: -
Parens: Felix Voting Sigil: a miniture book engraved with the mentem symbol Magic Sigil: resin (mostly the smell or the tenacity) Reputation: -

Personality Traits:
Scholarly +3
Disciplined +3
Brave +2

Characteristics:
Intelligence: +2
Perception: 0
Strength: -1 (1)
Stamina: -1
Presence: +1
Communication: +5
Dexterity: -2
Quickness: +1

Virtues:
The Gift (Hermetic, Free)
Hermetic Magus (Social, Free)
Good Teacher (House, Free)
Mythic Blood, feat: change into a bear, MuCo30, Base 10, +2 Sun duration, +1 Size, +1 requisite so that clothing changes too (Hermetic, Major)
Minor Magic Focus: wood (Hermetic, Free)
Free Study (Hermetic, Minor)
Deft form: mentem (Hermetic, Minor)
Personal vis source: 3 rego vis/year (Hermetic, Minor)
Great Communication x2 (General, Minor)
Skilled Parens (Hermetic, Minor)
Cyclic magic (positive): Spring and Summer Season (Hermetic, Minor)
True friend: Ratatöskr

Flaws:
Magical animal companion (Story, Minor)
Amibitious (Personality, Major)
Envious (Personality, Free)
Difficult longevity ritual (Hermetic, Major)
Fragile constitution (General, Minor)
Loose magic (Hermetic, Minor)
Flawed parma magica: Herbam (Hermetic, minor)

Abilities:
Speak Dutch (negotiations) 5, Athletics (Running) 1, Awareness (Alertness) 2, Folk Ken (Nobles) 2, Survival (forests) 1, Swim (long distances) 1, Charm (first impressions) 2, Artes Liberales (Ritual magic) 1, Speak Latin (hermetic usage) 4, Magic Theory (Enchanting items) 5, Parma Magica (Mentem) 3, Code of Hermes (Mundane Relations) 2, Etiquette (Nobility) 3, Finesse (casting speed) 1, Penetration (Mentem) 1, Great Weapon (Staff) 1, Civil and Canon Law (papal laws) 1, Concentration (Spell) 3, Theology (biblical knowledge) 1, Intrigue (Alliances) 2, Order of Hermes Lore (politics) 2, Teaching (Apprentices) 2, Area Lore: Saxony (geography) 1, Area Lore: Champagne (geography) 1, Leadership (inspiration) 1, Lotharingan tribunal lore (politics) 1

Arts:
Creo 11
Intellego 5
Muto 10
Perdo 3
Rego 3(1)

Animal 2
Aquam 1
Auram 1
Corpus 7
Herbam 7
Ignem 1
Imaginem 3
Mentem 10
Terram 2
Vim 0

Spells:
Charge of the angry winds CrAu 15
Whispering Winds InAu 15
Purification of the festering wounds CrCo 20
Whispers through the black gate InCo(Me) 15
Prying eyes and ears InIm 10
Aura of enobled presence MuIm 10
Veil of Invisibility, but with range Personal PeIm 15
Posing the silent question InMe 20
Aura of rightful authority ReMe 20
Memory of the distant dream with duration Moon CrMe 25
Loss of but a moments memory PeMe 15

Advancement:

Y(ear)1
Study the art of Creo:
30 xp Cr 8->11
Y2
He studies some more magical arts:
12 xp Co 2->5, 5 xp Pe 1->3, 3 xp Te 0->2, 10 xp Mu 2->4(3)
Y3
Reluctant but curious he learns something about the magical art of Herbam to find out more about his natural magic talent:
28 xp He 0->7, 2xp Im 1->2
Y4
Pelagan realizes he knows no spell to defend himself, thus learns the spell Charge of the angry winds, CrAu 15 (15xp).
He also learns a version of Veil of Invisibility, but with range Personal, PeIm15 (15xp).
Y5
Pelagan travels extensively this year, braving some adventures, to collect the necessary ingredients for his planned talisman:
5 xp Area Lore: Saxony (geography) 1, 5 xp Area Lore: Champagne (geography) 1, 5 xp Leadership (inspiration) 1, 10 xp Parma Magica 2, 4xp Re 3(1), 1xp Aq 1
Y6
With all materials present, he prepares his talisman: A wooden wand made of cedar tree struck by lightning with tiny inlays of a magnetite and a brass stone and a tiny silvery ball on top, that contains liquid mercury. He also decides to form the bond with his magical animal companion.
Winter: Open staff for enchantment, cost of 8 vim vis
Spring: Attune staff as talisman
Summer: Bind Ratatöskr as his familiar, Lab total: Cr 11 + Me 10 + Int 2 + aura 3 + magic theory 5 + cyclic magic 3 + lab routine: early riser 1 = 35, cord strength: gold +2, silver +1, bronze +2, cost of 7 creo/mentem vis
Autumn: Teach familiar magic theory: Com 5 + Teach 2 + good teacher 5 + 3 + bonus 6= 21, Ratatöskr: magic theory (enchanting items) 0->2(6)
Y7
Back to studying some magic arts for his next project:
30 xp Mu 4(3)->8(7)
Not sure how advancement for a familiar should be handled, but i think the minimum should be exposure xps, so 8 xp for a whole year.
Ratatöskr: 8 xp Magic theory 2(6)->2(14)
Y8
Still more to learn for this project:
12 xp Mu 8(7)->10, 13 xp Co 5->7, 3 xp Im 2->3, 2xp An 1->2
Ratatöskr: 8 xp magic theory 2(14) -> 3(7)
Y9
Pelagan has to make his first aging roll: first aging roll (1d10=5) + Age 4 - living conditions 1 - bronze cord 2 = 6
Reminded of his mortality, he locks himself up in his lab again to craft some magical items to protect himself of any mundane danger.
Winter: Teach his familiar magic theory again: Com 5 + Teach 2 + good teacher 5 + 3 + bonus 6 = 21, Ratatöskr: magic theory 3(7)->4(8)
Spring: Talisman, invest a power: Gift of bears fortitude +4 MuCo30, Range self, Duration sun, Target Ind., 1 use per day = lvl 40, Lab total: Mu 10 + Co 7 + magic focus(talisman is a wooden wand) 7 + Int 2 + magic theory 6 + aura 3 + form and shape bonus 6 + cyclic magic 3 + Int(Raratöskr) 2 + magic theory(R) 5 + Talisman 5 +lab routines: early riser and Overtime 4 = 60, 20 points gained towards instilling the effect
Summer: Continue the project, lab total is the same as in spring, the project is therefor finished, 4 muto/corpem vis, open attunement in talisman: Mu +5 bonus from mercury
Autumn: Craft a minor item: Cloak of impenetrable wool (like Doublet of impenetrable silk, MuAn15 , Range Personal, Duration sun, Target Ind, 2 uses per day, enviromental trigger sunrise/sunset = lvl 14, Lab total: Mu 10, An 2, Int 2, MT 6, aura 3, Int(R) 2, MT(R) 5 = 30, 2 animal vis
Y10
Pelagan has to make his second aging roll: second aging roll (1d10=1) second aging roll, second roll because of 1 in first roll (stress) (1d10=8) + Age 4 - living conditions 0 (1 - 1 from lab routine overtime) - bronze cord 2 = 18 aging points in Str and Sta, the later thus drops to -1
Pelagan feels increasingly uncomfortable in his covenant. Surely the living conditions here must be responsible for the recent stiffness in his joints. Also the many strict rules and obligations of a large and old covenant begin to hinder his ambitions. Maybe its time to move on to another covenant, a younger, upstarting covenant where things could be achieved...
The year seems to go by with lots of travel, meetings and talks. Fearing for his health and long life in a multitude of ways, he spends 15 xp on Parma Magica 2->3, also 10 xp on Order of Hermes Lore 1->2 and 5xp on Lotharingan tribunal lore (politics) 1
Whatever Pelagan had left in vis from his source and in his stocks, he has to pay to his old covenant to "buy out of his membership", but he is looking forward to his new life!

I made a final version of Bulba. Could not come up with an interesting background so I wrote something that will do for now.

Name: Vibius Cornelius Bulba Birth Name: Didderic
House: Bonisagus Age: 37 (38) Size: 0 Confidence: 1/3
Decrepitude: - Warping: 2

Spell Sigil:

Characteristics
Int: +5 Pre: 0
Per: 0 Com: +2
Str: -1 Dex: 0
Sta: -1 Qui: 0

Virtues:
The Gift (Hermetic, free)
Magus in Order of Hermes (Social, free)
Puissant Magic theory (free)
Mercurian magic
Magister in artibus
Great intelligence *2
Planetary magic
Vulgar alchemy

Flaws:
Ambitious (minor)
Painful magic
Weak magic resistance (non hermetic magic)
Nocturnal (minor)
Cabal legacy The Order of the Green Cockerel
Deficient form Animal

Abilities (speciality), score, (xp)

Artes Liberales (Ceremonial magic) 5
Charm (First impression) 2
Civil and cannon law (magic) 1
Code of Hermes (Rhine tribunal) 1
Concentration (Maintaining Spells) 1
Finesse (Craft magic) 1
Folk ken (Magi) 2
Guile (Making a trustworthy impression) 2
Latin (Writing) 5
Magic Lore (Hedge magic traditions) 2
Magic Theory (Traditionalist) 5+2
Medicine (therarics) 1
Order of Hermes Lore (History) 1
The Order of the Green Cockerel Lore ()1
Parma Magica (Ignem) 2
Penetration (Vim) 1
Philosophiae (Ceremonial magic) 5
Rhine Tribunal lore (Covenants) 1
Speak Flemish (Storytelling) 5
Teaching (single student) 1

Arts, score (xp)

Cr: 9 An: 0 Ig: 5
In: 5 Aq: 5 Im: 0
Mu: 0 Au: 9 Me: 0
Pe: 5 Co: 0 Te: 9
Re: 9 He: 0 Vi: 0

Spell / Book reference/ Te+Fo / Level/Casting total (Te+Fo+Sta) /Mastery score /Mastery
Air’s ghostly form/ ArM5 p. 130 / CrAu / 5 / +17 / 0
Bind wound / ArM5 p. 129/ CrCo / 10 / +8 / 0
Maintaining the demanding spell / ArM5 p. 162 / ReVi / 15 / +8 / 0
Opening the intangible tunnel / ArM5 p. 162/ ReVi / 15 / +8 / 0
The wizard’s leap / HoH:S p. 36 / ReCo / 15 / +8 / 0
Wizards sidestep / ArM5 p. 147 / ReIm / 10 / +8 / 0
The far speaking voice / HoH:S p. 97 / CrMe / 20 / +8 / 1 / Quiet magic
Sorcerer’s Bolt of Flame / spellswiki.wikidot.com/creo-ignem / CrIg / 10 / +13 / 0
The Spray of Poison Gas / spellswiki.wikidot.com/rego-aquam / ReAq 10 / +13 / 0
Convenient Placement of Soil / spellswiki.wikidot.com/creo-terram / CrTe / 3 / + 17 / 0
Load of a Thousand Wheelbarrows / spellswiki.wikidot.com/creo-terram / CrTe / 3 / +17 /0
Gift of the Roc / spellswiki.wikidot.com/creo-terram / CrTe / 3 / +17 /0
Rarefy the crude air // CrAu / 30 / +17 / 0
Ward against magical creature of the air // ReAu / 15 / +17 / 0
The circle of warmth /
/ CrIg / 5 / +17
The fragile lantern / spellswiki.wikidot.com/creo-ignem / CrIg / 10 / +17 / 0
True sight of the air / ArM5 p. 127 **** / InAu / 15 / +9 / 0
Command the living air / ***** / ReAu / 20 / +17/ 0
Flight of the magus /****** / Cr(Re)Au / 25 / +17 / 0

• (works as rarefy the crude water on p. 133 of RoP:M but summon an air elemental) Major flaw, the summoned air elemental is hostile to everyone, there for it must be controlled by magic or by other means kept safe. It is impossible to train an elemental summoned with this spell according to the rules of RoP:M p. 81-82
    ** Ward against magical creatures of the air works as ward against faeries of the air in ArM5 p. 128 but against magical creatures.
    *** Circle of warmth CrIg lv. 5, R: Touch D: Ring T: Circle, Make the area within the circle warm and comfortable for humans. Base level 2 +1 touch + 2 Ring = Total level 5
    **** Minor side effect is that the spell cause the wind to drop slightly in intensity. Not enough to affect something but enough to be noticeable. The effect ends when the spell does.
    ***** Work as Command the living fire RoP:M p. 133 but work on air elementals.
    ****** Work as Wings of the soaring winds but with range personal.

Background: Bulba grew up in Flanders without a father. As a boy he where called Didderic. As soon as he could work he contributed to his poor family’s upkeep. His mother worked as a seamstress and sold of Bulba to a magus to clear a debt, once Bulbas gift had manifest.
During his apprenticeship he where introduced into the Order of the Green Cockerel as well as Mercurian mystics. Bulba could noticed his master disappointment that Bulba lacked the inventers keen mind that his master had hoped for. However his ambitions made up so at the end of his apprenticeship he seemed like a most promising new gauntled magus. A few Bonisugus elder had watched his training with some interest.

Once a magus Bulba travelled to a new founded covenant at the south edge of the Pomeranian forest where he had gained membership. He stayed there for ten years and where given hints to leave once he had put the covenant in peril twice.

I saw that you changed your mage upon posting it in its own thread, but i only just now noticed the bit about Avellanas parens. Can you tell us a bit about their relationship, or rather what Avellana tells us about it?

If the new Tribunal forms, we might be rivals or allies with Triamore.
According to our covenant virtues, Triamore promised us support.
How does Avellana think about these things? Can Daria la Gris be trusted?

Of course,

Avellana's personality is very clearly affected by her "Tormenting Master" and her "Compassionate (Major) - She thinks Daria is very skilled and capable, but really not a nice person. Avellana sees her Mater's desire as wholly selfserving, whereas Avellana is interested in the Lotharingian Tribunal from a perspective of Enlightenment: Could Magi be more intertwined with the Mundanes without constantly casting spells to ease the Gift, could greater understanding be reached, what social responsibilities need the Magi take for this to happen, can organizations be made to ease this transmission (She is a Tremere after all...), but all in all, Daria wants it for the goodies it will provide, Avellana wants it for the goodies the magi can provide.

Daria can be trusted to uphold a bargain, which it is impossible to runa way from, she is no fool and will not draw Quaesitorial investigations nigh, as they have already intervened in her politics a few times. She IS Tremere though, and will always look for the upperhand in a bargain (Avellana has not said this - this is common Order knowledge). She does seem to have a sort of motherly affection for the Lotharingian idea, and might be more kind than usual regarding future members...who knows?