Seasonal Activities and Advancement

In that case, Viola would take extra care to make sure he's healed without taking Warping. Where did Petrus already have Warping points from, though?

Scott

I gave him some when I created the character - I figured as someone who was a fairly old covenfolk, it was reasonable he'd have picked up a few over the course of his life.

Are you OK with my rolling it over with level 25 effects?

Scott

You can do that if you want to, but I note it's going to result in him not meeting the improvement ease factor of 18 on his second and third rolls, so he'll be out of commission for longer. Plus he was meant to be teaching Teaching to Sophia in Summer, which will mess up the advancement of the majority of the grogs if he has to redo.

I know it's an inconvenience, but it's out of character for Viola to inflict a flaw on a loyal grog. I'll handle the corrections.

Scott

That's key, but she probably(?) is not aware that he already has some Warping Points - a point or three over the important first season should not, by themselves, be expected to cause warping.

She has to balance that risk with the seriousness of the illness, and the possibility that a lower Recovery Bonus might be "more dangerous" to the patient in the short run. (i.e., the larger the bonus, the more surely he will recover quickly, and so be out of danger.) Once he's not critical, then lower bonuses can be more than adequate, but for that first recovery period, a large bonus might be "safest", all things considered.

Your call on how she weighs those 2 concerns IC.

From what I remember, I'd originally just been going to give the grogs 15xp per year, and leave it at that. However, once I said I wanted to get them learning Latin, MTKnife wanted me to stat out each of their seasons in detail so that we could decide who was teaching who what when.

I note that Theodoric in 1227, even though he has 3 seasons of "learning things" is still only getting 14 xp that year. It's a bit patchy across characters as to whether this applies (generally the ones who have a couple of seasons being taught Latin are exceeding it), but the grogs aren't getting masses of xp. Generally the Teachers are doing worse, and the students doing better, as you'd expect.

Can I leave them as is, and keep to the rules more strictly in future advancement periods? I really don't want to have to redo them all.

She could certainly ask if he'd had powerful spells cast on him before--and at any rate, 4 points is pusing it, since it means he's in trouble with even one more.

A level 25 spell gives a +12 bonues, which is easily enough to make sure he doesn't get worse, short of a botch.

So, here goes again....

Viola's total is still 29 + stress die:
(29 + stress die 8) /2 = 19
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479661/

Weird Magic roll:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479666/

That costs two Fatigue levels.

Petrus's recovery roll:
Sta 0 + Recovery Modifier 1 + spell modifier 12 + stress die 0 = 13
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479663/

Three botch rolls:
0, 8, 9
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479665/

That's a botch; I can't find any consequence of a botch other than the normal worsening of the disease that occurs with a missed roll.

Petrus's disease now worsens from Major to Critical, and he enters a Crisis.

VIola attempts a +9 modifier for the Crisis (a level 20 effect):
(29 + stress die 3)/ 2 = 16
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479667/

She loses one Fatigue level.

Weird Magic:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479668/

Now for Petrus's roll:
10 + stress die 9 = 19
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479669/

Apparently he really wants to get better, and after one day, his disease improves back to Major.

Now for the second month. Viola's roll, for a +12 again:
(29 + stress die 7) / 2 = 18
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479670/

She loses two Fatigue levels.

Weird Magic:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479671/

Petrus's roll:
13 + stress die = 18
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479672/

The disease improves to Serious!

Month 3, Viola's roll:
(29 + stress die 0) / 2 = 15
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479673/

1 botch die (with her familiar's Golden Cord, that should be all:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479674/

Pshew. Two Fatigue levels down, and the spell works.

Petrus:
13 + stress die 4 = 17

He's stable.

Month 4, Viola:
(29 + stress die 2) / 2 = 16

Two Fatigue levels down.

Weird Magic:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479679/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479680/

Petrus:
13 + stress die 7 = 20

Petrus's disease improves to Minor.

Month 5, Viola:
(29 + stress die 5) / 2 = 17

Two Fatigue levels down.

Weird Magic:
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4479685/

Petrus:
13 + stress die 9 = 22

Despite a close shave, Petrus recovers after five months, with no Warping this time.

I'll adjust the advancement logs and character sheets.

Scott

Yes, that's what I was planning on.

Scott

Agreed I can't see anything on what happens on a Recovery roll botch. The only things I can think of are to make himn worsen by an additional level (which in this case would kill him, which seems a bit harsh for a single botch), give him an additional penalty on Recovery rolls or give him a minor flaw. Maybe Fragile Constitution? Of course, that does mean an additional -3 to Recovery Rolls.

2c - Gain a point of decrepitude.

What does "2c" mean?

Scott

One thing to add to that: unless a covenfolk has been hired as a teacher, spending a season teaching would count as one of the two non-work seasons. We can interpret "teacher" loosely, though, to include positions that would involve teaching, such as the turb captain or a sergeant.

Scott

shorthand for saying "my two cents" or "my opinion"

OK, I'll give him a point of Decrepitude--a Flaw seems a little harsh.

I've made the adjustments to all the grogs affected by that season: the main upshots are that Petrus loses a season of Don Delta Lore Practice, and Damianos, Bogdan, and Godzimir each lose a season of instruction in Latin--which, incidentally, reduces the Ability level for Bogdan and Godzimir from 3 to 2. It's inconvenient, but they were all getting more than they probably should anyway, plus an extra season (Winter 1226) that actually occurred before the saga began.

Scott

Here are advancement logs for the cats. I may have posted these already, but in any case they've been revised.

The Cat

Winter: Prowls about while Viola studies.
Spring: Accompanies Viola in the exploration of the temple regio. While the new covenant is set up, teaches the Kitten Latin.
Summer and Autumn: Prowls around the covenant and its environs.

Vis income: 4 pawns Animal from hairballs

Winter-Summer: Prowls around the covenant and its environs.
Autumn: Prowls around the covenant and its environs, Practicing her Nova Castra Lore and eating 6 pawns of vis (+7=7 [1]).

The Kitten

Winter: Prowls about while Viola studies.
Spring: While the covenant is set up, learns Latin from her mother, eating 4 pawns of vis (+14=19 [2]).
Summer and Autumn: Prowls around the covenant.

Winter-Summer: Prowls around the covenant.
Autumn: Prowls around the covenant and its environs, Practicing her Nova Castra Lore and eating 4 pawns of vis (+7=7 [1]).

Scott

a companion "character" generates 8 pawns of Vis a year?

4 per year--Personal Vis Source

It's enough to let the Kitten get one season a year of learning, and for the Cat to get two seasons every three years.

What does putting "character" in quotation marks mean?

Scott

There are two characters - Cat & Kitten, each generating 4 pawns a year in your summary above. That is 8 pawns a year. The quotes were to represent that the two cats have been played essentially together from what I've seen, so they appear as one character. Or thinking about it another way, they are two separate companions I guess.

I am surprised that both companions can have a personal vis source, that we have a rule for might reduction for learning, and that its two companion characters. I'm not fussed, just wasn't aware that PVS was even a valid choice for a companion.

I found the Character Sheet for the Cat and that they are "Violets" in one sense or another, but I'm not at all clear on what their role is in the game. I'm guessing from that that "the cat" (and attached kitten) are more an SG's NPCs for color than a model for players' Companions, something that could be expected to "go on an adventure" - something in that direction?