Sharkman at Andorra (Spring 1234)

Excellent.
How long have you been a magus? What other covenants were you part of and where were you raised up at?

Pere chimes in at this point. And I assure you, Madam Pontifex, that he is a hunter of great strength. Just a week past I was sailing to Barcelona to meet our newest Andorran colleague when my ship was attacked by a monstrous serpent. As the sailors futilely attempt to fight it off, a giant shark broke the surface, attacked the serpent, and tore it to pieces. As the bloody waters stilled, Acutus rose from the sea and introduced himself. Once he explained he was a member of the Order and a resident of the Balearics, I offered to sponsor him for membership with Andorra. He will be a fine asset to our covenant and, frankly, has already saved the life of one of its members. He gives a slightly uncomfortable smile. The serpent didn't appear to be interested in negotiating.

A sea serpent? Fascinating! I helped my father kill one of those once. An oceanic dragon that, as it so happens, lived in an underwater cave in those same islands. It was like, what? twenty five years ago I think?

Acutus nods to Pere in thanks, and then smiles at Carmen, "Well, this certainly wasn't a dragon, a mature serpent at best, but still capable of significant destruction. As for my background, I was born in Germany and spent most of my apprenticeship in Fenheld, and then finished my last two years in Aegaea in the Theban Tribunal. I was gauntleted five years ago, and have been traveling around the Mediterranean for about the last two years."

Fengheld, eh? Visited before, long time ago.
Anyways, you seem to be an excellent candidate. Only two formalities. We shall hold a council meeting where you can introduce yourself, and at that time one of our magi will perform a spell to assure us of your loyalty. Voluntary, but required. Then, presuming everyone is satisfied, we will vote.

Acutus raises an eyebrow, "I'm sorry what? What kind of spell exactly are you talking about?"

(by the way, this is what I expect to be an issue...I can't see a member of a mystery cult ever allowing another magus to cast a spell that would require them to speak the truth. And I wasn't aware that allowing the spell to be cast was mandatory. Solomon will likely have an issue with that.)

((I thought Solomon was the one who initially insisted on it, or maybe it was Arachne. One of you two. I remember Arachne casting it on Lucas I do believe, and Solomon had no issues with it then. So...? Was never my idea, was something you guys started doing.))

(It was Arachne. And Solomon had no issue because Arachne asked and Lucas agreed to it. The issue will likely be when Acutus refuses. If the covenant says "well then, you can't join," then Solomon might have an issue. I'll have to think more on it, but making a candidate submit to Mental magic in order to join a covenant strikes me as a violation of the Code...but I'm not entirely sure.)

((I myself have no issue, and no PC or NPC controlled by me will insist upon it. But I am sure Arachne will. And it is not fair to make the new player do it yet refuse yourself. But again, I don't care. Lucas might, he has an equal vote in this. And I see no code violation if it is voluntary, and nothing obligates a covenant to accept members. So it is all above board and voluntary on both ends. The violation, if any, would be to probe for things that have nothing to do with security. Perhaps yes-no questions using Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie would e more kosher?))

(I never intended to make a new player do it, but not me. Lucas and Fleur agreed, hence why I never said anything. Honestly one of the reasons I wanted to do this with Acutus is because I figured there was a good chance it would come up with our new Verditius and I wanted to deal with the in game consequences so he didn't have to. I'm cool with dealing with this in character and letting it all come out there. This is my second character, so if things go badly, it's not as big of a deal.)

Then let the dice roll as they may :mrgreen:

Fleur clears her throat. "Perhaps a less invasive spell could be used in this case? Frosty breath of the spoken lie or something similar? If his story is true he has been out of contact with any other covenants for some time now, and was not even aware of the existence of our covenant until he had already established a sanctum in the isles, and underwater at that. I'm not certain how the code would deal with such an issue if we were to ask him to leave his sanctum or join our covenant, or who would rule on it, but it is an issue I would personally rather see Barcelona confront when a non Jerbiton unwittingly sets up their own sanctum in town without joining there. Acutus is willing to join, and if he did indeed set up his sanctum unaware of our presence and is willing to take the pledge I would think that would be sufficient."
As she speaks Fleur's eye roam from Acutus' thighs to his pecs and back repeatedly.

[color=red]"That sounds reasonable to me," Vibria says. She is also checking out the newcomer, but probably a little more discretely than Fleur.

(I think I want to wait to reply until Arachne speaks, since the Mentem spell was her idea)

Actually, this is happening is Spring 1234. Lucas doesn't join up until Fall 1234.

That's more a case of Trogdor not being all that familiar with the Code than anything to do with Lucas. But I'm okay with that. I mean, Lucas spent the better part of 20-25 years at a monastery. He doesn't have a whole lot to hide. :wink:

And I can't recall. Does the spell force you to tell the truth or prevent you from telling a lie. The two are very different.

The particular spell that Arachne used, The Penitent's Confession, is a Rego Mentem spell that makes you "truthfully and willingly relate his involvement in anything the magus questions him about." You can see how someone from a Mystery Cult would not be a fan of that spell, because you don't even have the option of refusing to answer. The writeup even says you will "bring up related matters not asked about specifically if [you] genuinely believe it might be of interest." Powerful stuff.

Now, Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie (which is being offered as a potential alternative) is an Intellego Mentem spell that just detects if the subject speaks a lie. Much less invasive.

Does Solomon have that spell? He is the covenant Inquisitor after all :wink:

He absolutely has Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie (I think it's a requirement for quaesitores :stuck_out_tongue: ) but he never learned the Penitent's Confession.

"And me," Vocis says. "The questions we routinely ask are straightforward, so Frosty Breath should give us all the information we need."

"Frankly, I think both options are overkill," says Pere. "I've seen nothing that suggests he wishes our covenant ill. It was merely random chance that he saved the ship on which I was sailing. To suggest otherwise is to embrace the notion of some grand conspiracy designed to undermine Andorra from within."

"Have you been to Barcelona? Before I went there I was of the same opinion."