Sharkman at Andorra (Spring 1234)

Roberto nods in agreement. Spend some time up in Normandy. And may I remind you that this covenant was attacked a few years ago, and that Metron the Flaming Shadow is still on the loose. The Frosty Breath, applied by a Quaesitor asking a reasonable set of questions agreed to ahead of time, seems very justified. In fact, we should come up with a standardized set of seven questions. Have you now or ever been a member of House Didne?, Have you ever been associated with Infernal activity or Diabolism? Do you harbor any malice towards Andorra or plan to do us any harm? Stuff like that.
What were Arachne's list of original questions? Let's start from there and determine what is reasonable and acceptable to ask.

"As I recall the Diedne question came from Citgo, and still seems superfluous to me, though as a part of standard questions might lend them a certain air of longstanding tradition, as if we simply hadn't bothered to remove it in the last couple centuries."

Arachné roll eyes and sighs
As you noticed, we can't force any magus to submit to this, or any other spell. But he can submit willingly to the same set of questions I asked out of you. You know from first experience that I don't care about a newcomer magical secrets, only about Andorra's safety.

I'm all for inducting this Acutus into Barcelona. His skillset certainly looks like the kind of things we could use there. But for all we know, he engineered the accident with Pere. I've done similar things before.

Now, you may ask, why use this spell and not Frosty Breath? Well, I don't care much. Although I think it is a slightly better choice, the difference is negligible for our purposes.

Arachné clenches her teeth
Because you don't know Andorra's history. In fact there's a lot if things you're ignoring.

I've seen 2 covenants destroyed by an unknown enemy. One of them being my own. I still don't know who was behind the attack: The enemy used supernatural creatures and mundane mercenaries, but didn't show itself directly.
And then, there's Andorra, bastion of hope and courage, a Summer covenant full of experienced magi, that was wiped out only five years ago. We still don't know what the enemy wanted, we only knows he's still at large. If you think we can hold whereas our predecessors failed, think again.
There's also this bit about Barcelona, our friends, wanting to undermine us.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Is there a grand conspiracy to undermine Andorra? Maybe, maybe not. But there certainly is something going on. And just because you've lived some privileged life until now doesn't change that fact. If you want to be all open and welcoming to any stranger that might show up at our door, please, do. JUst don't count on me to trust any magus you might bring in.

Vocis says The Deidne question was Cidito's idea and may have originally been in jest, but it was a very good idea. It's as critical as the inquiries regarding infernalism.

Pere listens to everything Arachné has to say with a blank expression. When she's done, he says I apologize, Mistress. I am new to the covenant and clearly need to learn more of its history. I will endeavor to do so at the first opportunity.

Arachné lets out a heavy sigh

And I, too. I shouldn't have snapped at you like I did. I'm usually calmer. The friends I lost, amgi and mundanes alike... Their memory is still within me, as is the knowledge that the person, or persons, responsible, are still at large, and may very well strike at this new home we've funded.

Vibria is following the conversation silently, her gaze moving from speaker to speaker (with, perhaps, just a ghost of a distracted smile when her eyes light upon Acutus). But as the conversation goes on, she appears more and more thoughtful.

Carmen makes her thoughts known.
I suggest that we have Solomon, our Inquisitor, draw up a list of three to five questions to be administered under the Frosty Breath.

Solomon nods, "I will do so, but I would request Arachne provide me a list of her concerns, so that the questions asked will alleviate them as much as possible."

The House Diedne question seems like a good start to me. That and "Do you intend and deception or harm upon our covenant?". Yeah. That would satisfy me. Keep in mind that if they are demons or covered by infernal power, then magic cannot reveal any deception. You might want to consider Apromor's Test of Negative Response. No, chuck that. Any demon strong enough to cross our Aegis will likely resist any Perdo spell we can muster easilly and give a false negative response.
Just the questions about Diedne and intent, that should suffice.
What were Arachne's questions again? I went through the process, but I am not sure if she asked the same questions each time.

Vibria mutters something under her breath with a coy smile. [size=20][color=red]"And, most importantly, 'Are you single?'"[/size]

(okay, I'm going to go ahead and proceed with Solomon's questions)

Solomon nods to Carmen, and leans heavily on his staff and he stands and turns to Acutus, "If you would suppress you Parma for a moment we can proceed."

Acutus takes a deep breath and then nods. Solomon grips his staff, but there are no other sounds or gestures uttered by him[sup]1[/sup]. After a brief moment he nods to Acutus and then turns to the rest of the council, "The spell has been cast."

He turns back to Acutus and his face becomes very serious, "Have you ever supported a known practitioner of Diedne magic, or sympathized with the Diedne cause?"

"No."

"Do you intend to deceive or harm this covenant or its members?"

"No."

"Are you now, or have you ever consorted with the forces of the infernal?"

"No"

Solomon turns to the council, "I am convinced. Are there any other questions you have for Acutus."

[hr][/hr]
[sup]1[/sup]Deft Form Mentem

Carmen asks "Acutus, could you introduce yourself to the others and tell us a little about yourself. Your background, your interests and concerns, strengths and weaknesses, and magical research.

(I'm assuming this is after Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie has worn off)

Acutus nods and stands, his posture and bearing adding to his imposing presence and impressive physique, "Of course, Pontifex. I am Acutus Ilfetwis of House Bjornaer. I was born in Germany, and when my Gift was discovered I began my fosterage and apprenticeship at Fengheld. The last two years of my apprenticeship were at Aegaea in the Theban Tribunal under Delfini. I was gauntleted five years ago, and have spent much of the last two years traveling the Mediterranean as my heartbeast, a great white shark.

As for my skills, I am a hunter of magical beasts, both on land and in the sea. Much of my magical study to this point has been to aid in those endeavors; primarily to enhance my ability to fight in close combat. This is also necessitated by the fact that for some inexplicable reason my magic seems to weaken if I target anything other than myself or something I am touching. As I have only recently completed my gauntlet, I have not yet engaged upon any meaningful research."

While Vocis doesn't say anything during the meeting, he will approach Acutus afterward with questions on this topic. He's interested in discussing strategies to compensate for this problem because Mica also has Short-Ranged Magic.

So, did anyone else have any questions/comments for Acutus, want to ask him to leave to have closed discussions, want to go to a vote, etc?

Carmen is satified and favors holding a vote followed by private discussion.
(for the record, any votes I must role play are for a "YES" to accept Acutus.
I think we should all go through the Frost Breath inquiry process. Myself included. I will be the first to volunteer even.

Someone should explain the whole journeyman/service at Dragonera thing. Of course, that someone should probably be your other magus character. :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Vibria's ready to vote, [color=red]"Aye", as is Fédora, [color=blue]"Aye".

Both of me agree.

Arachné had some paranoid questions, but whatever :smiley:

She looks at acutus for a moment...
Should he choose the Sa Dragonera assignement. I believe he'd be unvaluable there, but near to useless here.

And she'll agree to the Frosty Breath thingie, which is fun, because... Well, she's who she is. She'll only do this before the council of Masters, though.

• Have you ever supported a known practitioner of Diedne magic, or sympathized with the Diedne cause
    Never met one my whole life. And for all I know, they were at best worshippers of cruel gods. So no and no.
  • Do you intend to deceive or harm this covenant or its members?
  • Of course not. This borders on the ridiculous.
  • Do you think yourself the kind of person who'd have her memories temporarily tampered with in order to join a covenant and infiltrate it?
    If nescessary, sure.
  • Could a suitable price convince you to betray this covenant?
    I don't think so. There may be one, but only God could provide it, so I think we're safe on that front.
  • Are you now, or have you ever consorted with the forces of the infernal?
    Clenched teeth I was young, foolish, and they tried to deceive me. I fled them as soon as I realised they weren't the magi they were supposed to be, and fought them and their ilk at every turn.