Summer 1246 - A friendly visit.

Once they are back at the covenant, Marcellus will make sure the new "recruits" (Isabelle, Bernardo, Ignacio and Julio) are settled in and a job for them is found that fits their capabilities and aspirations. He will also speak with Bernat to make sure the older grog check on them regularly to see how things are going (this should be relatively easy in the case of Bernardo if he becomes a grog). Marcellus will take the time to speak with each of them a few times as well.

Marcellus will certainly spend most of his time with Regulus as his friend recovers from his wounds, so they will certainly catch up on what each has been doing since they've last seen each other. And their plans for coming seasons and years. (We can have a few scenes about that if you like, or keep it abstract.)

I am sure they will also discuss getting together again at some point, this time without the drama of one of them disappearing on the way. :wink: (That could be the seed for a follow-up story a year or two later. If that makes it easier, all the better. I'm certainly game for a second part!)

If Regulus is interested in some enchantment that Marcellus could make in the coming years, or knows of some other Bjornaer magi who are looking for something to be crafted for them, they will certainly discuss that. Marcellus is still looking for a first commission. :grin:

(I understand and agree with your rationale regarding "smart" and Inventive Genius.)

(Marcellus' stance regarding Parma doesn't go as far as Regulus', but practicality won out and, well, knowing he wouldn't live as long as most magi means he has little patience for waiting. He just doesn't express that position to others, to avoid creating waves. Regulus is an exception to that rule.)

Okay. Lots of things here, probably too much for now.

Julio almost doesn't make it, but he survives. Once he recovers and gets a little accustomed to the covenant, he appears to be a charming guy, although a little too cocky. People soon compare him to Roberto.
Ignacio, all the while, is terribly worried about Julio, and spends a lot of time watching out for his friend. He has trouble adjusting, being quite frightened by any supernatural happening (like the spider's sentries), which send him praying.
Bernardo, once healed, proves a natural, although vicious, fighter.
Isabelle gets sent with the servants, and visits Julio regularly. It appears the two are involved. For a while, everything goes fine, but then, Menaut gets reports that she is lazy, grumpy, and refuses to do the job. Surprisingly, he also witness her knock out with one punch a grog that made an obscene proposal to her, after which she kicks him in the guts several times, and threatens his mocking friends to "come get some".

That's all I can write for now :frowning:
Please, don't hesitate to remind me to tackle the other parts of your post.

Okay, going with the rest.

Regulus recovers nicely. He and Marcellus spend time together, speaking of old times, discussing their current concerns, joking, having serious conversations, and, overall, just enjoying each other's company.

Once the Bjornaer feels better, he is able to visit the covenant and meet (most of) the magi.
Nice place you've got here. I would almost be jealous, if I weren't so happy for you. This covenant suits you, my friend.

Thing is, a nice vacation is not the only reason I came to visit you.
But first, I must ask you to keep it a secret. Things would not go well for me if it became known that I betrayed those who trusted me.

See, I have a... teacher. He searches for something called the Legacy of Alacron. Notice the caps here?

He thinks these would allow Bjornaer magi to... I dunno. Not exactly bind a familiar, more like marry one, he says.

Anyway, one of the possible places he's got for this is Andorra. He wants it, and he's got a few like-minded friends. They're still researching records for the legacy's last location, but they're not very subtle, so I figured I'd better discuss the thing with you first, give you some advance warning.
You know, just in case the name rings a bell.

I must also think about possible commissions, because, yes, being a good friend and knowing he was gonna visit you, he thought about bringing you contracts, too!

Also, XP for the adventure: 5 xp, + 5 xp in either stealth, awareness, or area lore

(OOC Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation and did not check my computer much.)

"Alacron, Alacron... I cannot say that rings any bells to me. Why does he think Andorra would be a place to look for this Legacy? Did Alacron live here at some point? I am wondering how I can ask questions about him without raising too many questions. Perhaps I can check the covenant library. There may be records of some sort about him. Maybe. But the library is so vast that I will need help from the librarian or one of his assistants..."

For the xp, I think it would make sense for him to gain 5 xp in Stealth and 5 xp in Chirurgy (for right after the fight but also his multiple visits while Regulus was recovering).

That's what I was worried about. If you know nothing of the name, this will make things more difficult. And sadly, I can't say much more about this. I only overheard a conversation, as I am "Not versed enough in the Sacred Mysteries of our Noble House to hear about such Arcane Matters" :roll_eyes:

But your reasoning looks good to me. If they believe this "legacy" to be here, he must either have lived in this covenant, or someone must have brought it there. And so, there may be a trace in the archives. At worst, you can certainly play the part of the weird verditius looking for old shit to stir up.

XP: If you're in the mood and have the time, you may either update Marcellus sheet on the wiki, or just write the new scores by the end of 1246 for me to do it

"Let me ask a few questions and take a look in the library. We can see what I can find in a first inquiry."

Marcellus will go to the libray and ask one of the assistants if there is anything in the library authored by Alacron of Bjornaer. He will also ask if the covenant keeps a record of visitors and previous members.

XP: I tend to keep this page updated first for Marcellus' stats. The one on the wiki gets updated once in a while (I just updated it).

Marcellus happens upon Florence, a boisterous, yet competent, middle aged brunette.

Alacron... Alacron... Sounds like yet another weirdo. Lemme search the ledger... Nope, nothing 'bout this guy.

When Arthur asks about a record
Well, we try to, but some of you people just don't care anyway, and you come and go, and we lost a lot of things a few years back, just because no one cares. And, well, I do my job correctly, but you can't tell that of everyone, if you get my meaning. And then, some creepy witch comes and pester us about security. Well, I'm a librarian, damnit, and a pretty good one, but even I can't do the job of everyone around here.

Marcellus nods in agreement, "I understand, it is difficult to get everything done when you do not get the appropriate support. I certainly appreciate the time you are taking to help me."

"Even though they may not be complete, could I look at the records? I would not want to take more of your valuable time, and it is only a... fancy of mine, but who knows? I might find something of interest to me in there."

:roll_eyes:
Sure, sure. Have a look. So long as you take care of them, it's fine.

How much time do you take perusing them?

A few days, but less than a week.

(Had to deal with covid case at work, plus theft. Went to visit friends. Went back to deal with... covid and new theft. Thus the extended delay. Warning: Heading into end of the year, so my schedule is liable to get chaotic)

Okaaaay...
Reading the records is quite boring, and taxes Marcellus concentration. He would have dropped his search several times, if not for his unshaking belief that he was gonna find what he was searching for.
4 days in, and his conviction pays out. Regulus misremembered. It is not Alacron, but Alarcon.
The name rings a bell, doesn't it?

It all comes back to Marcellus in a rush. He just sits there for long moments, frozen by the realization.

He then closes the records and bring them back to the librarian. Going outside, he climbs the stairs to the top of the walls around the covenant, then walks the walls for quite a while. What to tell Regulus? Who are these people looking for the Legacy? Should he warm Ikelos? Try to speak to Sigmundo?

He wrestles with those thoughts, walking all the while. Time passes. The sun goes down. Eventually, Marcellus sighs and goes back inside, seeking out Regulus.

With a crooked smile, he tells his friend, "I may have found something... but are you sure you want to know?" He lifts his hand, forestalling any immediate reaction, his smile fading away in as serious a face as Regulus has ever seen his friend show. "What I found is sensitive information and knowing it may place you in some danger. Do you really want to know?"

Regulus looks at Marcellus, taken aback by his friend's words.
"You're worrying me. But... I guess I want to. Whatever danger this knowlege may bring, you are privy of it. If it was a stranger, maybe the choice would have been different. But you're my oldest and best friend, so yes. I guess I wanna know. I need to, if I am to have your back."

Marcellus hesitates a moment longer, but then he sighs and begins. "I am more worried for you than for myself. If it became known that either of us knew this... well, let us say that I am not certain the Code would protect us from those who are looking for this 'legacy' of Alarcon of Criamon."

"A few years ago, I was witness to an encounter of a young Criamon with a faerie seeress, a well-known magus, a dragon and a shadow Flambeau." He grins, I know, this sounds like the beginning of a joke. It is not, believe me.

"The young magus had come into possession of a number of books, which described several Hermetic discoveries. Discoveries that could change the Order, with possibly even wider repercussions. And he'd had a vision, that this legacy was both dangerous and wonderful."

"The young Criamon was faced with a decision about who to entrust this legacy to. The magus would dissiminate it. The Flambeau would use it for his own gain. The dragon, who would put it in his library."

Regulus frowns

Your story aligns with what I was told, save for the dangerous part..

But the shadow flambeau... Weren't these flambeau diabolists, or something like that? I thought them all destroyed decades ago.
I don't like the smell of this story of yours.

At best... Crap. At best, this makes that criamon, the magus, and you complicit in hiding that flambeau existence. And now me, I guess. Is this why you didn't want me to know?

@Arthur
Hope I'm not bothering.

Since you're around, I'm thinking you may have forgotten this (it's fine!), may have no idea about how to get the ball rolling (let me know!) or may have no further interest in this (it's fine too! Let me know, maybe I can cobble a bad write-up so there's some closure)

Obviously, if you don't really have the time and just want a pause, it's fine too :slight_smile:

Mostly I've been busy (with real life and with my other saga), but I'm also not sure I want to continue with this. I like the story, but Andorra has been so quiet that I'm wondering if, with so few of us, it is still viable.

Yes. I believe I understand.
This is, in no small part, my fault, due to my yearly drop, for which I apologize.

This is not the first time Andorra has entered winter. It may be the last, or not.

So, I suggest we just pause it for the time being. If you find out that you want to end this, feel free to tell me, I'll try to do something. If you want to pick it up again, we'll just do it.

Thank you, anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don't blame you at all. It was just an overall drop in activity level of the saga.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

It axes and wanes but stands eternal. 25 years and going, over half of that time online. PbP is a unique relic leftover from the early 21st century. My own interests have shifted towards live gaming online wit Discord and roll20. It is a more immediate satisfaction. I also lost the heart to guide a story, what after that travesty of a supernal horror story I tried to run that ended with a player rage quitting. Indeed, I have always ever been in conflict with the "storytelling" style of Ars Magica, though I see the role of a story GUIDE to be more of a committee chair than a railroad driver. PbP is really really slow though. I am still playing one of Fixer's stories.

Andorra is much larger than any one gamer or SG.

Keep playing. Do what you want with Andorra. The saga is yours. I am still here.

1 Like