Table talk (Bibracte)

If it's not yet discussed and decided, Gerulf will likely oppose maintaining the portal, but not in the face of the entire covenant if all magi are in agreement. Do we need to scene this, or has that already been done?

Korvin is all for leaving it up.

Edit: Arther, give us a quote for reupping the Portal spell :smiley:

Just for clarification's sake -- I seem to recall that there was a vis cost to use the Portal, but it's been a while since I read that section. Am I misremembering?

We pay to maintain the portal and the Redcaps will pay a "toll" for using it. So we do make some vis from the Portal.

House Mercere or whomever operates the portals can charge for their use. You really can't be charged by House Mercere for a portal your covenant has paid for. I mean, they're greedy, but that's a bit beyond the pale...
You can make it free for everyone, if you'd like. House Mercere wants to be able to send Redcaps through at no charge, which is why it was cheap last time...

That's not what I meant, guys. I was asking if the magic that powers the portal requires vis to activate.

Oh. No. Vis is only required to create the portal, i.e. the ritual being cast simultaneously at both ends.
You said vis cost. Which made me think of fee being charged, which is SOP for House Mercere or anyone who operates a portal.

If you check with Petronius, he would be willing to cast it "at cost", meaning the cost of the ritual for a non-Mercurian magus (15 pawns). Of those 15 pawns, 8 pawns are used to actually cast the ritual, while the rest would be his fee.

At least 8 pawns would need to be of Arts that can be used for casting of the ritual -- either Rego or Terram, or possibly only 4 pawns of the ReTe attuned vis. The remaining 7 pawns could be of any Art, but he'd prefer Vim if it is possible.

We're kind of lean on Vim vis, so we might have to choose other Arts for that.
Am I right in assuming that Petronius is doing us this favor in exchange for the right to study the Mons Electi regio entrances/exits?

Be mindful that Hermes Portal needs to be cast twice and simultaneously at both locations.

I was thinking that we were going to keep the portals up. If it was still being discussed, then Fiona would be okay with it as long as we have some measure of control over who comes and goes...or at least it's controlled by trustworthy Mercere.

((Where is this mechanic coming from? I don't remember needing this roll, but I might have missed something....))

((Yeah. I helped by reading his spell calculations and saying "well done" :exclamation: :smiley: ))

:laughing:

((Will do - probably a few posts away yet....))

Nope, that right was secured by the transportation of the stone block for Fiona's pegasus statue, with an extension when he created the towers for the Tribunal city.

It is indeed a very low price for the service. If you want to know why he's doing this, you'all have to ask Petronius himself. :wink:

Indeed, so even with the help of Petronius to cast the portal on your end, you'll still have to pay a fee to Harco for their side of it. Petronius' involvement will save Mons Electi only half of the fee. That is, unless one of the magi at Mons Electi decides to learn the spell. :laughing:

Korvin will visit Harco to find out what the cost will be at their end if we use Petronius at our end.

That's his Magic Addiction roll.

Aye. That it is. :slight_smile:

Oh, and if there are any gaping holes in things you guys need me to close up, I'd appreciate a hand in pointing them out.
My mind has not been in the game, and it takes an amazingly long time to bring all this back up to speed. As players you have a better idea of what your characters need than I do.

Can you give me the outline of the spell that Jacques has agreed to create for the Giants. Looking more at the parameters of size of the wall.

Korvin needs what deal the Mercere will give for doing the portal spell on the Harco end while Petronius does it at the ME end. And they can give me a price if they do it all if they want. We can play out an negotiations if you want but I just want numbers before the council meeting.

The only thing I need, and I'm not even sure I need it from you per se, is -- how far can I advance my character? Currently I've got plans for what he's going to do until the summer of 1228, but I'm not sure what the process is for actually adjusting the character sheet, etc.

Aha! I got sidetracked into dead-end thinking after our Concentration discussion.

By the way, at the same time as the unveiling of Gerulf's successful spell, I messed up Tranquillina's! Her sponted Sure-Footedness of the Crag Leaper needs an Animal requisite. :blush: The actual calculation is: Sta -3 + Mu 12 + An 8 + Talisman attunement (transforming her) 4 + aura 5 - quiet words 5 = 21, divided by 5 is the required 4.