Table Talk: OOC

I'll get to work!

Are these newly Gauntled Magi? What's the ballpark age/years post gauntlet you're seeking.

Newly or just a few years out.

1 Like

Do we want to have a thread for creating companions or grogs and what sort of limits (if any) do we want to put on the creation and use of companions?

I think that would be useful

I like how varied our Magi are. Not just in focus, which is reasonable, but in choices of virtues/flaws.

1 Like

So how did our magi end up founding the covenant? Meeting at tribunals/elsewhere and keeping contact with letter to found it or something perhaps. Someone was probably the driving force. Probably Elymas since it will be her agent we will rely heavily on.

Gilbert comes from the Provencal Tribunal originally. I haven't decided where his Bonisagus Parens' covenant is at, but probably in Italy.

But he could likely have correspondence with some of you. He would definitely like to keep in touch with others, as a physical meeting isn't easy for him.

Elymas is male.
If we are going with the idea of mandatory attendance at the tribunals we likely met there, possibly while our masters were busy with politics. Elymas would certainly have wanted to assemble a group who would follow in his interests.

My misstake. Thats what i get for not reading more closely. I thought Elymas was some proto name for Elma but I see the insperation behind the name now.

Pentelli is happy to join a new covenant for a few reasons, so I imagine was not hard to convince. The fact that he is a mason might have even been a convenient thing for getting him to sign up and for finding a convenient excuse for the travel and set up.

He would not, however, have been terribly active in getting people together for it. While he has grand aspirations, he probably lacks the confidence at the moment to instigate it.

Paulus would sign up fairly easily. The idea of being able to travel, spend some time in an area to learn its songs and stories would be appealing. Mobility is a good thing.

Elymas and Gilbert could well have found a common cause, and worked together to get the others involved.

1 Like

I imagine that the two of them would search out Thymos later then. Due to him being the filius of a Venatores.

How do we want to handle Languages?

I know Silveroak had a table of Languages, and I know Callen had one as well.

Am asking, because Italy is a hot mess of Languages, and it can, and should, impact the characters. There's Tuscan, Neapolitan, Sicilian, North Italian, and Sardinian, if I recall correctly.

Language Chart - Ars Magica Crisis of the Order, fight or Flight (wikidot.com)

there's my chart from a previous game, really Itally doesn't look all that complicated- at least in the north. There might be some remaining Greek influence in Apulia and Arabic influence in Calabria, but at least they aren't speaking Germanic languages in Lombardy anymore.

1 Like

Just 5 Languages :slight_smile:

What are other people's thoughts on being in two Mystery Cults?
Both the Numerology and Astrology hold appeal to my character. Granted, he's not gonna be into Hermetic Architecture, so he'll avoid those deeper secrets.

I dont think its a problem. Though its probably not something that would be appreciated if ever discovered and something that will lead to trouble for the character. From what I remember both cults arent too secretive or vindictive but there will be some conflict and potential stories from it.

If you are looking to be a member in both a gen i would be against it though. Seems that something the character has to work for.

1 Like

At Char Gen he's not a member of either. He only has Artes Liberales at 1...

2 Likes

I think it will be a lot of effort, and mystery cults tend to investigate their members before recruiting, plus other members of a mystery cult may have issues or suspicions if you start looking for a second mystery cult. A lot comes down to motivations but at minimum each cult is going to want to protect its secrets and initiations from being converted to the other's collections, so lots of story opportunities.

I'd also suggest that there may be mystery cults not in the books- numerology and astrology are close enough together that it might be possible to find a non-canon mystery cult that covers both, or at least bridges parts of each.

1 Like