Table Talk: OOC

CharGen Question:

On abilities like Enchanting Music that come through a virtue at level 1, does that assume an existing 5 points of xp? So 10 more xp gets it to a score of 2? Or does it take 15 xp in and of itself.

you essential get a score of 1 for free (so 10 more Xp will increase it to 2).

So, because i am made of enthusiasm, how much more do we need to do before we can start?

Well covenant, finishing magi, a better idea of covefolk and then we need to decide who will act as SG for the first adventure and where it will take place

In 1200 Phillip of Swbia seized the child Fredrick II, whom Pope Innocent III had been named protector of when he invaded Sicilly with the help of Genoese ships, so it is reasonable to assume that either Sicilly, Genoa, or both would be facing an interdict that year. I think if we start by trying to infiltrate the town to establish ourselves in the area that would be a decent beginning point.

1 Like

Playing a 13th century stonemason, so I went on holiday to a 13th century stone abbey. Might be a nerd!

(We were going here anyway)

3 Likes

Wow. That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Quick question, how do we feel about starting with custom spells?

In related questions since I often mess things up can we have a thread for scrutinising spells and effects?

Keep in mind that starting at gauntlet with a custom spell means that your parens invented the spell and then taught it to you. While there can certainly be cases where that happened, I would expect it to be uncommon.

I am perfectly happy not to. I just wanted a copy of contouring the mystic tower which made a workshop instead

It wouldn't make a workshop exactly, even with a variant, it would make a building that could house a workshop, which seems reasonable for a verditious to teach their apprentice.

Keep in mind that as written you would be exchanging vis for a building, which is probably not a good choice in the Roman tribunal...

I am aware about the exchange being bad. I just wanted a spell to make a lab and villa space for his (stupid) long term plans.

Though on second thought, it is something better invented later. I need those spell slots for being able to do things, since my spontaneous magic is poor!

1 Like

I prefer inventing spells later. Besides thinking of parens a Verditius is probably the least likely to invent new spells.

Yup. My second thoughts were better: inventing weird spells is more fun, as you guys rightly say.

I am super eager to start (can you tell?) So other than my spells, what can I be doing?

regarding income- the actual (disposable) income from the partner social status of my persona has not been truly discussed, and i came across something that I think is definitive- someone with the partner social status may also take the factor social status for free, which has an income (after expenses) of 250 Mythic pounds per year. Obviously he cannot contribute all of this to the covenant, since he needs to maintain his persona which would spend a fair amount of the money on other things, but the persona can also take money for use while out of town that could easily be used to support the covenant.

So between that and building costs we should be able to manage mundane income, nice!

Then getting a vis income: would we say that we will search for sites and get to harvest them while we are there, and some sort of finder's fee?

We are contracted to someone to set up a chapter house, and so get books for doing so to wrangle an aura, build the labs and find vis sources?

Our excuse of masons also allows us to have craftsmen who are:

Smith's
Glassblowers
Masons
Toolmakers
Tilers
Possibly jewellers

In order to make a Romanesque church. So we can also promise to train local likely looking lads and offer a staff of useful employees.

My character can enchant luxuries into the chapter house as an added surcharged extra.

The talkier magi can get us a cover building job and help us get a site.

The faerie cult can help foster an extra faerie aura nearby and also maybe find faerie vis sources (?)

The criminal bonisagus can help us get things for tethers in an extralegal way

The tytalus amount us gets to see the fight of Dominion Vs magic aura he envisages the local area as

The storyguide gets easy plot points re: Fae, tethers, land deals, finding vis sources, manipulating the cities to prolong the interdict and give us more time. They (and I, if you guys want me to run plots too) can also run whatever else they want, but easy plot hooks are good.

The players get a simple in character motivation to do things; we are being paid to do a job so we can get properly set up at a later date

Our employers get to trade scribal time and a a little vis for a while new chapter house and a brand new magic aura, a good trade

Are we missing anything for being good to go?

I know I am going on about at, but I am super enthused and looking at the forum too many campaigns get to where we are and die. I am invested and want to see it thrive.

One other point is that we don't want the chapter house to be the church, so while we reinforce the magic aura we will be trying to replace the dominion aura with a faerie one that looks and sounds like dominion to the average mundane.

Plot wise stopping the infernal from making use of the falling dominion is also an issue.

Also who is going to be the first SG?

Why don't we have everyone who has got a story ready to go out forward a plot seed ooc, then we can discuss them in a council meeting and whatever the magi decide to chase, that person runs the game? We can also then see how many people want to run.

My story idea at this point wuld only work for the begining- we need to establish a name for ourselves, and might want to claim a central location to work from- in 1200 Phillip of Swabia sailed to Sicilly on ships provided by Genoa in order to abduct the child Fredrick II who was the charge of the Pope. Pope Innocent is likely considering putting Genoa under interdict (the next year he will support Otto IV- Philllip's rival, as the Holy Roman Emperor to the degree he will threaten excommunication on any who stand against him). If "Faher Sarducci" goes to Rime and teams up with Pisans (rival city to Genoa) to push for the interdiction of Genoa the remainder of the covenant can look to establish themselves in the city, which will likely include getting an understanding of its political and religious persons of interest as well as establishing their "business".
If someone else wants to run Father Sarducci in Rome as a parallel game that would also be good...