[Table Talk] Return of Table Talk

Hiya all,
I was looking at the Item Mathius would be manufacturing, but it was slightly too high a level. So he can either make one which lasts 70 years (or so), or he can create something different with his time.

See the nature of the beast
A steel horseshoe with eyes engraved all around one side. It has a hole in the curve for a leather thong so it can be worn around the neck.

When the horseshoe is held and the words "Friend or Foe" spoken, it will effect the holders vision. All animals that the person looks at will be surrounded with a colour reflecting their dominant drive (Hungry, Angry, Calm etc.)

Intellego Animal base 4 (sense the dominant nature of a beast)
R: +1 Touch
T: +4 Vision
D: +0 Momentary

Uses +5lev 24 uses per day for a total of 30 levels.

Or Mathius could create something else, comments?

You know, I can never work out whether these types of effect have to penetrate in order to affect the user.

I mean, the item is giving a "power" to the user, so what if the user has Parma or other Might?

The Vision target is the user's own Vision so theoretically the item needs to penetrate. But that sounds a bit harsh and not in keeping with the item's intent.

This item does need to penetrate the person it effects. It is casting a spell on them, so that they know information about animals they see.

The item also needs to penetrate the Creature the person looks at. If the crature has MR it will not work and they will appear as normal.

Talisman Time! :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, the item needs penetration in order to work for a magus or being-with--might. What modifications could be made to get it some extra penetration? Different materials, perhaps? A different shape? Less effects per day? Or go for a 2 season project?

Assume that the covenant has a good supply of uncommon and somewhat rare materials, enough for size medium and under. Yes, there are some gemstones available. Are you brave enough to ask Dierdre for one? :smiling_imp: Magnetite (+3 Animal), Hazel (+3 Divination). A Magentite or Hazel Mask would be the best combination(+3 Animal/Divination and +2 affect wearer's vision) you could get. That, with your effect would get you a +10 penetration. Even better, a helmet (+6 to effect vision)....

Obviously the +3 to Terram for the lab doesn't apply in this case.

Could Mathius handle a Magnetite Helmet, with his effect in it? (+18 penetration from just the shape and material bonuses...)

Steve

It would have to be a 3 season project - one season to open, another 2 to invest.

I'll run some numbers, and check the S&M bonus'

I was imagining it being used on a grog (one of the scouts), hence no penetration. I'll look at it properly tonight.

Does anyone think that the item would not be useful to the covenant?

Well, we know that spiders have been used against us and we believe that Dusk can take or use (there's a difference) animal forms. I think something along those lines makes perfect sense.

I think it would be useful, hence the extra input...

[EDIT]

If Mathius does not have Armorer, I would be willing to let him use Blacksmith at a -3 penalty as a substitute; A blacksmith knows all of the basic skills required to make a simple helmet (shaping, forge welding, riveting). It wouldn't look the greatest, but it would work...

Of course, he could use Rego Craft Magic do make it as well, but it wouldn't add anything to his lab total...

[EDIT 2]

Swordsmith and Armorer, according to City and Guild, are seperate skills. Noting the above, I would grant Mathius the full score for Swordsmithing (normal score + specialty), the normal score for normal blacksmith work, and score - 3 for armor work.

Steve

Until the details can be worked out, Since the orginal write up of Mathius Horseshoe is perfectly legal, well go with that. If some penetration can be squeezed in with Shape and Material bonuses, and it still stay within the season, cool.

Time for those summer projects!

Rhiannon requests the Corpus summa for the Season.
Mab is doing ... something. In Her Lab. Be afraid...
Dierdre has no plans that she's announcing.

One of Cathal's heralds announces that Lord O'Connor has requested Stephan's presence at his tent. Also, 2 Venditores from Waterford and Cork send a message up to the covenant as well.

Sean Dulidh arrives with the summer trade goods, and promptly leaves to go enjoy the Fair.

Quintus returns as well.

It is 21 June 1220, and the sun has just come up.

Steve

The numbers as they stand for the Vision of Animals Intent.

Base 4, sense the dominant drive of a beast
Range +1, Touch
Target +4, Vision
Duration +2, Sun

Total effect before penetration + uses 35.

So, now for Mathius.

Int 3
Inv Gen 3
In 12
An 7
MT 5 (6)
Black 5
Phil 4
S&M 6 (limit by MT)
Aura 4

Makes lab-total of 50 for a project of 35. If I now add in the modifier for 70 years (*2) I have an excess of (15 * 2 = 30) Still not enough.

I need an extra 3 points on my lab-total, anything that I may have missed that I can add? (Shame I can't add my Hubris :slight_smile: )

Now if I experiment, I get an extra +3 from my Inventive Genius, plus a die roll (average 6) which gives me a guaranteed lab-total of 53.
So, add 1 Penetration, and +1 for 2 uses a day, gives the project a score of 37.
53-37 = 16, doubled is 32 (not enough).

I need to roll a minimum of 3 for the project to succeed.

Kryslin, if you could do the honours please (I've never experimented before)

Ok, your simple roll is 6.

You chose no Risk Modifier, so that is +0.

My roll on the Extra ordinary results chart... 40! (1,1,10)

First up... Discovery! +15xp to Magic Theory!
Next up ... No Extraordinary effects...
(Could have been worse...!)

So, you get an extra +6 to the lab total, and learn a little bit about MT as well...

Steve

Great, thank you.

Suggestions for the next project anybody?

One thing that Fabrica does will be to write a letter to the 2 Venditores and let them know that he is soon going to be in business, and that they might start looking (discreetly) for future commissions, with specialties in weapon requests.

From there, I'm not certain what Fabrica would do. Actually I do, but I'd like to hear requests and/or suggestions for either the covenant or more perosnal requests. If nothing else comes up then he'll start with making his lab. The lab that he is using is awesome, but I want the pleaseure of designing and making his own lab.

What style of lab does Fab want? A townhouse style (Lab, Living Quarters and Storage and a wall forming a quadrangle), a single large building (Like Torsten's), or a small tower (2 stories and a basement, 30 x 30 interior spaces)? All take about 1/2 a season to raise...

Steve

The small tower would be the way to go. On the outside he'll also want an addition for a Studio for his items that's technically outside his Sanctum mark.

So if it's raised in Summer, and he works on it Fall, he'd have a 0 lab in Winter right? Or does it take 2 Seasons to get the 0 lab.

Both towers would be raised during the summer, and you'd move in and get set up in fall, and have a +0 lab. Both townhouses as well. Where'd all these labourers, journeymen, and master carpenters and masons come from, anyway? :slight_smile:

I said, I'm being generous. :slight_smile:

Steve

What did the venditores' message say?

And where are we with Corvus' lab? I have no recollection of what (or where) was decided.

Sounds good to me. I could have my towers raised and still do something this Summer.

Any requests? Once I get my lab I won't be out for awhile. :wink:

I believe it was decided that Corvus could have a small, square tower, similar to Fabrica's (2 stories, cellar, with 30 x 30 floors. Construction is stone, with slate for the roof.

Both towers are being raised at the same time. Once the Towers are completed, Labs and Living Quarters can be set up within, though Fab will have to put up with a few extra weeks of construction going on outside...

Fab's stone cutting knife and Azaelle's help greatly reduce the time consuming labor required, which is cutting and moving the stone from the quarry to the covenant.

Steve

Ah, yes. Thanks.

And as a result, Corvus will be talking to the powers that be about stretching his tower up by another story or two with a wooden "spire". But that's more for effect than any magical/lab requirement.