Table Talk

Works for me, Depending on the height of the tower though, and if there are basements somewhere underground, better watch out where the foundations go.

I think either individual 1 story buildings or 2 story/2magi buildings. Though we could just build every magi a basic 1 story structure with lab and sanctum, then they can use their own resources over the next few years to improve it. e.g. add a second story.

Hmm, perhaps Fabrica may occasionally request the use of my foundry.

She could use the healers lab for a single season couldn't she?

I think that having Deidre create one would work out, especially if she does something in return. e.g. The covenant requests Deidre to spend a season making this longevity potion. This counts as a season of Deidre's obligations. Rhiannon has to provide the vis and work 2 seasons on behalf of the covenant. If she doesn't have the vis for the potion, she can work extra for the covenant to pay for it.

If this option is open to all magi, then there shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is if Deidre doesn't want to do something like this for a few seasons.

This way a few of the new magi may ask Deidre to make a potion, in return the covenant gets lots of work done.

I'd bet that Dierdre's time for a season can be better spent "for the common good" than making one longevity potion. (Otoh, if it's just to delay the pressing need for labs, yeah- but those 4 magi will still need/want them sooner than later.)

I was thinking of labs on the top and bottom of 4-5 stories, with living quarters in between. Therefore, each mage lives "next to" their own lab, and acts as a buffer. A stone divider (or four) as a floor wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Hmm... Right now, Rhiannon would settle for a townhouse style set up. Lab on one side (20 x 25), living quarters across a courtyard. Even space for 3 people to live comfortably, and for Rhiannon to persue her studies. Right now, her needs are rather modest.

Steve

I think we need a simple sketch map* of the covenant grounds, semi-to-scale, so we can better picture how much room we have, and how much this new construction will take up, where the various buildings are and will be relative to each other, etc.

Townhouses, treehouses, towers private and shared - getting to be quite the urban development project!

It seems "fair" that if one mage gets a private lab, so should all- eventually. Doesn't have to happen right off. If we split one tower for 2 magi, one can move out once they get their optimal space. Or, we burn a MESS of resources, mundane and/or magical, and just knock it out and "do it right", and then tighten our belts and go from there, and leave that issue behind us.

Is an attraction to that. Could we make that a 1-year project? Magic one tower now for 2 magi (Rhiannon & Corvus?), understanding that R will move out and C will take over the entire thing later for his "rookery". For the others, mundane construction with magicked tools, over time, and establish a cadre of construction talent for future projects both in the Covenant and our nearby town, bridges, etc, and/or even to loan/rent out to allies/whoever.

The alternatives are 1) Plan and Build 4 individual labs, sooner (magically) or later (mundanely), B) Split 2 towers and everyone can lump it for now, until they can create their own, or iii) Build 1 split tower, and use the "shared labs" concept, and rotate thru until everyone is happy.

Thoughts?

(* maybe just something as simple as Paint, with circles/rectangles, tho' I have a great little mapping program (AutoRealm) that can produce clean layouts in jpg format pretty quickly. If you want to e-mail me a sketch, I can turn it into something quick and easy, and happy to.)

I'm using Fractal Mapper on this end, however, for quick and Dirty, I'll fire up Rhinoceros3D (Yes, I use a professional CAD/CAM/Design package to do silly stuff like this... along with CGI...)

I'll have something soon.

Steve

Wha! Your kung fu is truly better than my kung fu! Huh!

</lips out of synch>

Cool! Interested to see if my mental image/sketch map of this place is anything close to your definitive version!

Photobucket is currently undergoing maintenance. Rough map is done, showing building footprints (not actual size) only - no paths, roads, trees, the pond, and other details.

I'll post it before I go to work, if possible.

Steve

It looks like we could add four new 50*50 plots easy enough, two at 10 o'clock and two at 4 o'clock.

It would take about 2 seasons to create all 4 labs, another 2 seasons each to get them outfitted and working. so the first two labs will be available in 3 seasons, with two more available the season after that.

Perhaps those magi who have a pressing need could share the healers lab, using it for a season each. After all, we are all going to be doing work for the covenant and each other until everyone has a lab.

The two verditius will be crafting items for the covenant/other people.
How are the other two magi going to be assisting in the labs they wish to claim?

Well, so long as it doesn't stop us from getting on with the game I really don't mind.

Shouldn't- hopefully, once we have "the plan" OOC, it can be suggested and argued IC that much faster, even if some characters need to oppose the issue IC. Storywise, we all know where the group wants to go, and can take it from there.

Or possibly 1:30, between Angus' and the eastern labs, but yeah, plenty of room.

Corvus wanted a vertical space, so a smaller footprint, but the whole "Norman reaction" issue would have to be resolved first, one way or another. (Tho' perhaps something not fully 70' tall, and wider than 30'?)

And someone asked about "basements/cellars"- the CrTe spell includes a 20' deep foundation, which I'd guess is more for sturdiness than habitation, but perhaps something could be worked into the math, I'd think.

Also, could we put them somewhere that is not right up against the wall? IF(?) we're going to do even one big tower, more toward the middle might be a better call - across from the Great Hall, perhaps? (Mab's grove is in the middle, right? Not a bad place for Corvus or Shiereadan to be near, maybe? Mark, Fluffy - your call, if it's allowed.)

Isn't there a small penalty for using an unfamiliar lab? (Used to be in 4th ed.)

Working together in one lab? Ooh- someone will be someone's bitch! :stuck_out_tongue:

Dunno yet- Daggin could make some of those tools to manipulate raw materials for mundane construction, but a bit of study couldn't hurt first (will have to run the numbers vs his lab totals and the spell effects). Summer would probably be MUCH more productive than Spring, by perhaps as much as a magnitude, depending on the exact form.

But he could also hammer out something that would help with adventuring rather than building, perhaps to encourage vis-finding missions? If we could find another yearly vis source (OOC- read "unknown resources"???), that would help toward the labs as well.

Or, possibly, some tricky item that would help find a friendly Mason/Engineer? Something in the Intellego Mentem area, like "Pose the Silent, Awkward Inteview Question", or so? (tho' that's not his best T/F.)

Also, he can help with the existing labs - OOC, he thinks he might know how to help find some of the existing enchantments around the labs and covenant, identify their purpose and possibly figure out how to work them, without having to spend a full season on each.

And Stephan?

Stephan eventually would like to do some interesting things in conjunction with the library.

Without laying out the whole career plan, his interest really is scholarship, education of mage and mundane, and incresing the body of knowledge available to all.

His ideal lab (and he can wait a few game YEARS for this) would be approximately 1000 sq ft. with gallery and teaching area, well lighted naturally and magically (and otherwise excellent for book care). It is not necessary for him to have a elevated or tall lab, but one that has lots of windows and lots of exposure to the sun when it is out. Placing said lab next to the library makes a lot of sense since, based on the map, there would be a lot of southern exposure.

-K!

You can indeed put a basement in the mystical tower if need be... I did in my saga, but it isn't covered by the base spell design.. I just carved it out with MuTe after a while

I really wouldn't mind a small building all for myself personally, as it gives a handy +1 rego speciality :slight_smile:

Well.. I guess if I was to list the -perfect- lab for bonus reasons.. it'd be this...

Greature Feature + Flaw - Summoning Circle (Spells)
+1 Spacious
Dedicated Building
Superior Construction
Mobile / Relocation
+1 Lesser Expansion
+3 Greater Horde
Faerie Ingredients
Flawless Equipment
Sentient
Chaotic

So yes.. obviously I need some kind of flying lab infested with tiny faerie helpers! Hmmmmmm ^^

About the tower basements, I was actually referring to Mab & Deidre saying that there were some underground basements somewhere, and I didn't want our mystic towers to fall through some and become mystic huts (with large basements).

As for two verdi in one lab, nope, Fabrica will be claiming one of the other three, don't know which one yet.

Mathius could do a great "posing silent question" item, or he could do one of the Muto Terram ones, either is OK.

So what are people going to be doing, and will they need labs for it?

Five people said that they would like labs now or soon: Mathius, Fabrica, Rhiannon, Daggin and Stephan.

Of those 5 Rhiannon needs one for a season for personal reasons, but I don't know what she can contribute to the covenant/construction of other labs.
If we set the Hospital lab off limits until it is properly investigated, we have 3 useable labs.

If Mathius and Fabrica take one each they can make items such as the Muto Terram stuff. The others can then spend a season in the other lab if they need to, or spend time in the library/making friends with the fey, or helping in the construction of their lab.

I think that we can actually create a single structure for people to live in, then mundanely create the 4 labs and sancta. The temporary building for 3-4 months could later be used for new recruits and as the new hospital.

If the 2 Verdi can make Tech/Te items to cut raw stone and shape stone to a final form*, Daggin could make a ReTe item that moves the raw/finished blocks around, and we'd have our assembly line - material, finish, move.

(* I'm a big fan of the MuTe that makes a raw block into pourable stone, for molds & etc, but a PeTe magicked chisel that cuts the stone at the whim of a craftsman would be valuable too - they each have different pros/cons.)

At its most basic, the mutual agreement that Daggin proposed would mean that, of the two seasons that it takes to set up a lab, the 3 who inherited labs would contribute one season of their own sweat to the set-up of the other labs, and one more to the "greater good", so that everyone had 2 seasons that they did not have to themselves for free.

This could either be above and beyond the amount owed in general, or not, depending on the perceived need.

So long as no one gets left holding the stinky end of the stick all by themselves, it's all good.

(And I'm outa here- readya in a few days, wish me luck!)

Of course, given her reputation : Hedge Wizard (Order of Hermes), +3, the question should be phrased "Can she contribute anything to the covenant at all?" 8)

Rhiannon can "create" some help; there is a reason I'm asking questions about Animae Magic on the main board; Hers works in a similar fashion. Right now, the best she can do is a Stone 'Golem', which will do what the caster wants it to for the day, with little other direction.

Steve

RE CORVUS

Oh well done, Mark. Well done!

Thanks very much, I'm here all week.

Hmm, We can craft items to shape and cut the stone, then Rhiannon can provide the labour to move the stone from the quarry.

Re labs and seasons:
As long as the other magi contribute a season to the covenant as well as making their labs I'm fine with that. I wouldn't want one of the people to sit in the library brushing up on their arts the whole time their labs are being built, unless they are going to make up that time when they have a lab.