Terram items and spells

Sure. Use MuTe to turn the metal into clay. Shape the clay into a (rough?) sphere.
Wait for the MuTe effect to lapse. Viola, (rough?) metal spheres.
Maybe not the mirror-polished ball bearings of today, but spheres, sure.

1 Like

I was meaning the enchancement so that the spheres stopped attacks autonomously.

It sounds like you want your spheres to give you a similar effect to Circling Winds of Protection (Cr(Re)Au 20), so you could use that as a guideline. Maybe add 5 levels for a less appropriate form, and replace the "blown back" effect by a damage effect?

I was thinking only as an attack barrier, but i cant see it working that way anyways. I could give it a try like you said, yet I was not thinking in that many spheres. I would have to increase the amount of them.

I read in somewhere something similar to what I was thinking but with shields surrounding you. Once an attack is stopped by any of them that shield would fall. I do not know if ut was a sourcebook or a forum spell.

How much damage would you think would be apropiate, for metal spheres hitting people? I think also that the more the people are hitted, the lleaser samage they should do for a while, as their speed is decreased. Yet AM5 spells do not change damage I suppose I could lower the max damage and increase. Abit the minimum damage to get a medium damage. Many thanks for your answer, you helped me a lot.

You wouldn't necessarily need a huge number of spheres/shields, as long as they were able to actively intercept attacks. For a Concentration spell, that's just part of the spell effect. As an enchantment, you might need to buiild in an InTe requisite to detect incoming attackers. (On the other hand, you don't need a Creo requisite.)

Or you could have a huge number so there's no possible opening. That might make the spell higher level, though.

As for damage: if you make them sharp, then I think +10 damage, as for The Crystal Dart, is reasonable. I don't think this would reduce damage on a second hit: ReTe doesn't really care about loss of momentum. I think play balance and feel should drive the level and damage as much as anything - it feels like a YGMV case to me.

Many thanks for your answer, I will ask the troupe about it. I think What I was missing was the InTe spell to accurately know where the attacks come from. Many many thanks.

That being said about the metal coffin to teleport items around the globe. I thought about creating bags that could transform items that were placed into them into metal beads. The first one I thought about is Animal matter. I am not sure if it would be a MuAn 4 or 5 the base level of the spell.

I thought of those levels as I was not thinking on introducing alive beings. I asume would be the same level for corpus and herbam, but for aquam? And for ignem or auram? What do you think? I pretend to get 1 bag for each form

1 Like

There is a comparable Rego Herbam guideline "Level 4: deflect a single attack by a wooden weapon" that might make a good starting point.

In regards to that, with wood you add a magnitude, for metal you add two. So this spell for metal weapons would be level 5, don't you think so?

Moreover, do you think that adding magnitudes would make it able to stop more than 1 attack? I am in doubt with that.

Level 5 has the right "finger in the air" feel, but I'd want to play with it a bit to see. The Herbam guideline is used for Repel The Wooden Shafts (ReHe 10), which looks a bit weird having Momentary duration and requiring you to toss aside your own staff if you have one, which is something you didn't want to deal with.

I too doubt that adding magnitudes would make it stop more than one attack. The only obvious thing I can think of is to make an item of it with careful trigger conditions and a lot of charges.

Sorry I meant base level 5. Not total level 5

Editted
I supposed it is because when you cast the spell you repel all wood. That being said, if it is the metalic sphere that repels the metal I suppose there is no need of throwing any item. The only issue would be that instead of personal should be touch range. I suppose you could use the herbam spell with touch in the wooden shaft and it would mot be pushed out from yourself.

If the metal sphere is doing the work then the Herbam guideline you need to compare to is the Base 10 "Make a plant or thing made of plant products move with purpose and intelligence, without requiring your constant control." Probably with some magnitudes for dealing with metal in Terram.

This is going to require some group discussion on how capable an item "with purpose and intelligence" becomes -- will it automatically deflect attacks? is there some sort of Attack roll required? if so, what is the enspelled item's score? That guideline seems intended more for the Sorcerer's Apprentice enchanted broom getting water from the well type of magic.

An effect to shrink at item can be done. "Object of Increased Size" uses a base 4 MuTe guideline to make an object 2x bigger in each direction, and there's a published spell "Miniaturist of Venice" that uses the opposite guideline, and also seems to increase the base level by 1 for each further halving of size. You'll need requisites of An, He or maybe even Co: these can be casting requisites for a spell, but I believe they need to be built into an enchanted item.

You may find this thread interesting:

Hi there I was talking about the spell to transform animal matter into metal first of all, the other is quite straight and I had already created and agreed with the troupe about the size reducing spell. My problem is if it would be base 4 or base 5 to transform animal items or animal processed items into metal as base level. Also if by making it metal items I should add +2 magnitudes, what I think I should. Lastly I think I would need to enchant those two spells in the bag.

Herbam to Terram is base 4, and I think it's reasonable to assume Animal to Terram is also base 4. (I can't point to a ruling allowing this, but equivalent guidelines usually seem to be transferrable between forms. E.g. CrCo and CrAn healing effects.) Yes, I believe changing animal or plant matter to metal instead of (say) clay is 2 levels higher, but since you have a magical focus in metals, that may still be a better plan for you. And I suppose if your size-changing spell only works on metals, that comes under your focus as well.

On the enchantment: there's no need for the bag to do both operations. If you have a wand of turning things to metals, and a wand of making metal things smaller, they can both be lesser enchantments. An item that does both has to be an invested item, and that's more work and cost. So that would be my suggestion, without having looked at your numbers. Pop things into your magic bag is cooler, I agree.

(I'm also inclined to shrink things and then put them in a non-magical bag, rather than having the bag doing the shrinking. But that's because I have trouble imagining how you could get things in the back before they were shrunk by being in the bag. That's probably worrying more than necessary.)

I do agree with you. I did not knew about the guideline you were talking about. I suppose you give it Intel to do What you want to do, or at least is what i do understand. That being said defence from attacks is no easy matter, and I do think you would need at least a InTe spell to sense the attacks coming and another one to make the spheres block the spells or you could increase the magnitude of the base 10 as it is something that needs a high skill to perform. By the guidelines it seems you give the item the purpose, so it could try to do it. I would need to discuss how good is at his job.

You are totally right, even if it looks a lot cooler to get the bag to do both things, not only it is much more expensive in time and resources, but also is hard to think of a way that you can fit the bag with a large metal item that gets shrinked after.

Edditted: Although I am a Verdigius magi with crafting skill 4. I may spend some more resources, but do actually benefit from an enchanted item, yes I may have to pay some Vis Vim but i get to add my crafting skill 4 and my philisophae 3 to the lab total, also spend 4 less Vis Vim pawns.

1 Like

I have found this Mu/He level 15 spell in the Core Rulebook of AM 5

LEVEL 15
ROPE OF BRONZE
R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Ind
Req: Terram

It acts exactlly as I would like for the spell but it seemed to me that turning anything into metal should add levels. It seems it is only needed fot a transformation of anything made of Terram to any other thing made of Terram that asks for an increased magnitude, such as sand to stone, stone to metal or 2 magnitude increase when going from sand to metal.

Where you playing this way, am I missing sokething?

Also I was wondering could i create a spell to only work on metallic items so that my magical focus cba be applied always even if I can't target the full form, Terram in my case.
The issue is I would like to be able to teleport a chest around the globe, could I create the spell to only teleport metalic chest so that I could apply my magical focus to invent the spell and to cast it anytime I wanted? Could I create a spell to destroy/change/shape metalic items such as or any metalic item that is appropiate without adding any size magnitude?

Huh! Sorry, I missed that. I was looking at Terram guidelines, but under Herbam, as you say, there is an explicit L4 Guideline to turn plant matter into stone or metal, as long as you have a Terram requisite (this is what Rope to Bronze uses). Looking at the Animal guidelines, I think L5 "Change something made of animal products in a major unnatural way" is appropriate, so apparently animal matter->metal is a little harder than plant matter->stone. I think the Terram requisite would still apply.

But, if you're using those guidelines, your primary form is Animal or Herbam, and Terram is a requisite. I believe that means you would need two separate enchantments, one for each form. Whereas the approach I suggested above, though a little harder, can be done as one Terram enchantment with Animal and Herbam as requisites. So that might still be a better option.

In both cases, I would still charge an extra level for turning it into gold instead of bronze or other non-precious metal. But that's only on the basis that working with precious metals seems to be harder in other situations, I don't see an explicit rule about this particular case.

I know your new question is harder, because the Forums have a lot of debate about both Magical Focuses and Teleport. We play that a ReCo teleport spell will bring your clothes etc along. By that analogy, teleporting a chest should teleport its contents as well, even if they are Auram or Aquam. So I'd allow that to work. (But other groups explicitly say that a ReCo spell needs Animal/Herbam as casting requisites, or you arrive naked. Or naked, except for the clothes you made out of the skin of your dead enemies, you creepy weirdo.)

Personally, I would allow you to use your Focus to design a Terram spell that only works on items inside your focus. So you could do a spell to teleport anything made of metal (and only made of metal) and it will be a lot easier than a general ReTe spell. By analogy with the "clothes of the mage" rule we use, you could then teleport a sword, even if it has cloth on its hilt, or a metal box, even though it's been pained with plant dyes. Etc etc. But I wouldn't let you teleport a human being, even if you put them inside an iron maiden device (recommendation: remove the spikes before experimenting with this idea).

Similarly, your could devise other spells that will only work on metal items. I'm not sure what you mean by "without adding any size magnitude". If you mean "the item must be no bigger than an individual", I agree: nothing about a Focus lets you ignore the size-of-item rules. An individual of metal is up to a cubic foot, so your chest can't be very big unless you add levels for Target Size to it.

Take all this with a bit of caution! I'm doing my best to help, but I may still be missing things.

First of all many thanks for your answers, they are really appreciated. I thinked about reducing size and converting every single item I get into the chest into metal so I could teleport them avoiding any issue with the requisites being needed or not, if when I teleport the chest it is full of metal items, there is no way I need any other requisite.

As far as I am aware of, to transform herbam products into metal I do need to use a Mu/He spell with Terram requisite, I was thiking of creating something similar as the spell I mentioned but changing it, so the item will only convert into a low value metal, this way I could use my focus, as far as I do understand converting anythinng into the sustance I focus is crealy under my focus. This way I could add twice my lowest art, due to the focus, and be able to create the spell or magic items quite easily (1-2 seasons). It is very important to me, as I would like to create a staff or any other item to be used to made to convert in bulk items into metal items, so I could teleport things fast from the covenant to my self and so on. I myself could have learned te spells, but I would need to leave the staff or the magic item that swaps items to metal (probably one magic item per form) in the covenant, so grogs or companions or other magi could pull the trick. If I want to leave the item in the covenant and want to be able to go out there and ask for nearly anything I was thinking on needing 1 item for each form and any item having just in case if posible unlimited charges.

As this may lay in the field of my focus and I could double the lowerst art I was thinking on using for herbam that spell as base level, so level 15 + 1 magnitude for +1Size 8just in case) and +10 for unlimited charges.

My totals are around Int +3 M.T. 6(enchanted items) , so M.T. 7, Aura 6, Muto I think is around 10, Herbam is also around 10, I do have the Inventive genius virtue so I could add another +3 without experimenting lastly I should check the shape and material table to see if there was any other bonus I could add. As you see reaching 60 could be tough 49 is my basic lab total I do have no apprentice. This being said I could experiment for another +3 for inventive genius + a simple die, if also i would add a longer journey as presented in the covenants rules I could be able to add from +1 to +3 so 55 + simple die as maximum. I have not added shape and material bonuses as I have no checked it yet.

I do have a doubt, let´s say I make it, I do not mind if it is in 1 or 2 seasons experimenting ot not whatever, but I do make it, would I be able to apply the bonus for similar spell (I know it is not a spell what i created) when creating another magic item to do the same with another form such as animal or corpus? would it make any difference if it is aquam form? I do realize in case I could add the bonus for similar spell I could not add the inventive genius virtue.

Lastly in case I would like to teleport the chest, how could I teleport from where i am to another place? With an arcane conectión of the place I could teleport it there? Could I take an AC from a metalic ingot, fix it, use the rest of the ingot to make a metalic base to wich I would teleport the chest, move that base around the globe and while having an AC of the chest and of the metalic base I could teleport it from one place to another? Would you see a flaw in my way of doing it? Am I overcomplicating the issue?