Terror in Transylvania (Summer 1234)

Your itinerary for Vocis has just begun! Octavian will provide you with direction for your next move, whom you desire to meet or where you want to visit.

• The definition of Necromancy is somewhat loose around here, but I presume you specifically mean a specialization in Ghost and Corpses. You can find someone who specializes in medicinal magic and is not so much into the corpses. Maybe a little, but not anything major.
  • You can gain a number of scholars equal to the number of players willing to take on scholars as full fledged characters. That is at least you and me. Silveroak wants to make a second companion already, and if I take the chains off of him he can create one intense teacher character I am sure. You must first visit the Scholomance to hire them though.
  • Poena is at Coeris I believe, and a visit to the Domus is reasonable.
  • What was the Vulcanus suggestion?

Coeris will be his next stop, since it's the closest oppidum to Lycaneon anyway. If Octavian's recommended healer is in either of those two places, that conversation would happen before he meets with Poena. If not, the prima is next on the list, followed by Scholomance and Tablinum.

With Vulcanus, Ryu and I had (briefly) discussed Vocis doing some selective bragging on Vulcanus while he was in Transylvania. I'm not sure if that was intended to lead to contracts for Vulcanus or just to expand his reputation. Vocis will wear Vulcanus's armor in appropriate situations as a potential conversation starter. If Vulc is on the Twilight highway for a while, we can just skim over this.

The item Vulcanus is currently working on would be of the most interest. Too bad he will only manage to make one :smiling_imp:
Coeris is next. Octavian recommends a physician magus named Trapper John :laughing:
Meet with him first (maybe rename him), then Poena next?

I was more partial to Hawkeye myself, but that does sound more like a scout than a physician. :slight_smile: Let's call the good doctor Pylaeus. Perhaps he could double as a contact for the secret Andorran zenodochium Octavian proposed? Either way, Vocis will speak with him before meeting Poena.

Good Doctor Pylaeus is is then :slight_smile:
He is in his study drinking a glass of Prokupac.
Salve sodale, come in and have a seat. he says, holding his wine glass in one hand and a human skull in the other. He seems to be studying it with fascination, unable to break away at first, then he sets it down and offers you a glass and the bottle.

((Assumptions for this conversation - Octavian provided a letter of introduction, that letter included some mention of the zenodochium idea, and Mica is not present.))

Vocis joins him and accepts the offer of refreshment. Salve sodale. Thank you for meeting with me. And thank you for this wonderful Prokupac. It's been far too long since I had access to it. After another sip, he adds And while I am here on business, I must say I'm curious about your companion there. What do you see when you look at it?

The future. Death awaits for us all. Our immorality lies in the things we accomplish and the society we create. No one can live forever, despite what some crazed mystics may tell you. However, if we can live longer and healthier lives, less suffering and more productive, then we can all accomplish greater deeds and build an even better society. For the foundation of all selfishness is suffering.
Sets the skull down, sips his wine.
Or at least that is what she would tell you.Meet Marija, my wife.

I...see. My condolences. Did you lose her recently?

((Feel free to pursue what I'm expecting to be entertaining (and morbid and creepifying :slight_smile:) small talk about his wife. I'm starting the next stage of the conversation below just to move things along.))

As Octavian told you, I am currently a member of the Andorra covenant. The covenant has traditionally been a Flambeau-dominated one, but after a recent attack the covenant is expanding and becoming more eclectic in its membership. Part of this expansion is the installation of multiple Mercere portals, to go along with the Mercere trade house attached to the covenant. My understanding is that our House is interested in increasing our involvement with the covenant. The portals could help with trade, its geographic location could provide new military options, and its lack of membership in any tribunal would free us from some of the usual political constraints.

One of the first steps Octavian and I plan to explore is the establishment of a secret zenodochium at Andorra. This would be reserved for Tremere use, barring a genuine catastrophe at the covenant. Andorra has plenty of casting tablets and vis for standard magical healing of its members. What I have in mind is something that could serve as a small field hospital in the event that Tremere forces are deployed to Western Europe by way of Andorra. Octavian tells me you've been involved in maintenance of the local zenodochia and might be able to help us outfit one in Andorra. Would you be willing to assist with this?

I suppose you lack the Syght, the second eyes. It will come with time, perhaps as a benefit of Twilight. Her mortal death was twenty years ago, but I never lost her. She is right here with us and says hello, and that she hopes your blindness is cured someday.
He picks up the skull and gives his wife a little kiss, maybe slips her a little tongue :stuck_out_tongue:

Andorra...
Provencal Tribunal? Markus is the Exarch there...
Wait, what? (picks up skull and holds it to his ear) You're that rogue covenant, the one without a tribunal due to some legal technicality. House Mercere. (listens to skull again) Roderic the Gifted Redcap and his Flambeau sidekick Antoine. House Mercere is the real power behind that covenant.
Marija agrees we will help you if you specify primary use of the establishment for the Mercere Lodge, accessible my members of your covenant, and open to any in an emergency.
Marija used to serve as a Redcap here in Translyvania, so I am sure you can understand her sympathies and allegiances.

Nice. I almost wish I'd sought out an actual necromancer to see how twisted that would have been. :slight_smile:

If the Mercere Lodge receives the right of primary use, who would be responsible for providing the vis for healing spells? I don't see how you and I can expect our House to financially support a long-term endeavor such as this when House Mercere will reap most of the medical benefits all of the financial benefits I expect them to claim. What Octavian and I are seeking is an emergency support site for Tremere in need. Your proposal sounds more like a Hermetic hospital established by our House, owned by the Mercere, and used by anyone with enough vis to pay the Mercere for it. Intending no offense to Mistress Marija, of course. I do understand her sympathies.

You are short sighted as well as blind. No one can own a hospital and truly claim to be a student of Hippocrates. What I would help set up is the equipment needed. Mundane medical supplies, books, lab texts and casting tablets, useful enchanted items. The Mercere would just manage the facility during peacetime. Their magi often make excellent physicians. A reserve of Corpus &/or Creo vis, if any, would be held for emergency use and need to be replaced as soon as it is used at the cost to the one who used it. That would be held in trust by the hospital, but we would own it. And of course the Tremere would have the right to co-opt command of the facility in times of war, with an emergency powers clause written into the charter.

Vocis takes a drink of his wine before responding. I am neither short-sighted nor a student of Hippocrates. I was merely trying to ascertain for which House you were speaking. You see, this hospital will be owned just as Mercere portals are owned - the group housing the resource is able to profit from the resource as they see fit, barring some binding agreement to the contrary. I don't begrudge our sodales in House Mercere their profits, as long as those profits don't come at Tremere expense. I am therefore relieved to hear the rest of your proposal. Are there any other details you haven't mentioned?

Sip of wine. Numerous details. I haven't even thought of them yet, and cannot until I am on site and see what I have to work with. I am also unsure of what you do not understand. And I tell you this so you can understand. No one can truly own a hospital and justly call it that. The duty of a physician is to serve the health and welfare for the greater good. Now, if you understand doctrine, you also understand that placing the needs of House Tremere as the utmost priority is indeed serving the greater good. A hand you can live without. Your head or your heart, you cannot. i have Lab Texts for a standard set of items I create to aid physicians. Greater Invested Items. They include overrides and special enchantments that are restricted to Tremere magi. The idea is to seem compassionate, and be compassionate, to help improve and enhance the reputation of House Tremere. Yet we don't want to get overloaded. So we get others to manage it for us and provide them with items to facilitate a moderate level of function. The restricted enchantments are intended for a Tremere magus to be able to throw things into high gear in times of crisis.

Excellent. It sounds as if you can address everything Octavian and I had hoped for and quite a bit more besides. I plan to spend the rest of the summer here in Transylvania. Would you be willing to return with me to assess the site? The Andorran Lodge has a portal to Harco, so the journey will be relatively quick. If you're otherwise occupied, I don't plan to venture far from Andorra for at least a year after returning. We can arrange for an assessment at your convenience. I will explain things to the pontifex of Andorra. She normally gives the Mercere a free hand in managing their Lodge, so I don't anticipate any opposition.

((Trying to get a read on the conversation at this point...would it be best to bring up Mica's fosterage now or does it seem like Pylaeus will have more details to discuss later?))

now is as good a time as any :smiley:

He didn't answer Vocis's about visiting Andorra, but I'll assume that and other minor details were covered by small talk we're hand-waving. Once that's done...

There is one other topic I wish to broach with you. Several years ago I took on an apprentice, Micaela. She is the daughter of the late Francisco of Tremere, formerly of the Wingraven covenant in Provencal. Her father actually opened her Arts, but died shortly thereafter when a necromantic ritual went awry. As we were close friends and I was seeking an apprentice, he had taken steps to ensure I would take over her apprenticeship in the event of his death.

Unfortunately, Francisco had not yet made arrangements for her to be fostered here and I have been too preoccupied in the West to see to it until now. I was trained as a signaler and my interests have remained in that area throughout my career. While I've taught Micaela something of that, her strengths appear to lie elsewhere. She has a knack for Corpus magic and her spells lose potency beyond her touch, so healing would appear to suit her well. I have thought of training her as a physician, as best I can anyway. However, I find myself somewhat limited by another request from her father - he was adamant that she avoid the practice of necromancy lest it take her down the path that he feels consumed him. I have no personal issue with necromancy myself, but I feel obligated to comply with her father's last wish. Octavian mentioned your name as a physician with little interest in necromancy, your beloved wife notwithstanding, and thought you might be a good candidate to host her for her year in Transylvania.

Would you be willing to take on a fosterage? She has six years left as an apprentice, so this would not be an immediate concern. I've also brought her with me to Coeris, so you could meet her at your leisure.

I would be honored. As for visiting, that will have to wait until after next year, when my term as Curantis expires.

Looks like you're itching to get to the City of Brass, so I'm willing to skim some of this. Vocis brings in Mica to meet Pylaeus, she's prim and proper as always, and some agreement is reached regarding her fosterage.

Vocis's next step is to meet with Poena, where he will report on his time in Andorra, fill her in on the zenodochium plan, discuss possible professors Andorra might hire, and introduce Mica.

No worries. We can get into the level of detail you desire. Just keep in mind the pacing also depends on the many multiple other things I am woking on (stories and such).

So you meet with Poena...

You had put in a request for an audience, and the response was to meet her in her reception hall at exactly half past noon in two days. You get there, and in the outer chamber there are several shmucks that think they can waltz in and get her attention. They recall the days of Roto who was informal and relaxed, and inefficient. It doesn't work that way with Poena. She is very rigid and formal about the allotment of her time resources. However, if she grants you an hour of her time, that hour is dedicated to you. Even young Tremere without their sigil. Though when the hour is up, you are done. No matter if you are the Exarch of Summer or the Primus of Bonisagus.

"Salve Vocis. This hour is yours. Come in and share some tea and crumpets at my table."

Thank you Prima. Vocis joins her at table and jumps right into his report. The last four years have been productive for Andorra. The covenant has been repopulated, the defenses have been largely repaired, the vis stores are returning to their normal levels, and the library is being restocked. I have a written report here with more detailed information on these efforts and activities, so I will only address the most important items now.

You've no doubt heard about the recent arrangement between Andorra and Barcelona. The Barcelona covenant identified a very large vis source on Sa Dragonera in the Balearic islands, but did not have the personnel or resources to exploit or protect it. Andorra agreed to found a chapterhouse of sorts on the Balearics with support from
Barcelona in exchange for a split of the vis. The details of the arrangement are in my report. We have been recruiting young magi to populate this chapterhouse. At present there are three, along with a group of militant hedge wizards with ties to the Order. The chapterhouse itself is actually spread among the islands. This arrangement is made possible by an extensive regio network we discovered shortly after initiating our activities there. Sa Dragonera itself is the central hub of this network, allowing our journeymen immediate access to the vis source should threats arise. We have also established permanent portal connections between the Balearics and the Barcelona and Andorra covenants.

I mention all of this because the chapterhouse represents an opportunity for seeding the West with another member of our House or a Transylvania-influenced ally. If you know of any young magi who may be interested in a stint with Andorra, I am reasonably certain I can obtain membership for them in the Andorra covenant as a journeyman based in the Balearics. Along those lines, I hope to employ at least one Scholomance-trained professor in a long-term position at Andorra. The covenant is in need of full-time teachers and I would prefer to bring in those who are trained by our House. Would you be willing to support me in this activity? I realize Scholomance graduates are in great demand here in Transylvania, but a word from you or one of your secretaries may ease the path, so to speak.

I've also spoken with Octavian and Pylaeus regarding another long-term plan for Andorra. We intend to establish a zenodochium of sorts at the Mercere Lodge adjoining the Andorra covenant. The primary purpose is to support future Tremere military actions in the West, but the presence of the newly-added portal to Harco also makes Andorra something of a central location for those in need. Pylaeus proposes that House Mercere will manage the 'hospital', as he terms it, as a day-to-day operation and will have the authority to accept patients and payment. We will formulate a contract that ensures members of our House will take precedence over any other patients the Mercere may be accepting.

Among the many activities occurring at Andorra is one that may pose a potential risk at some point in the future. For reasons I detail in my report, the covenant agreed to induct an ancient Andorran dragon named Sigmundo into the Order. His intent was to disguise himself in human form and join House Ex Miscellanea as 'Sigismund', a dragon-blooded descendant of Sigmundo. He has been a friend to the Andorra covenant for many years and was instrumental in helping restock our library, but I have profound reservations regarding his long-term adherence to the Code. Unfortunately, I was unable to sway my sodales with those reservations. Solomon of Guernicus administered the Oath to Sigmundo and I assume he informed his House of the situation.

And finally, I have brought my apprentice, Micaela, with me to Transylvania. I had hoped to introduce her to you once we've concluded our business here. She is doing quite well in her training and I have every confidence she will serve the House well as a physician.

The written report includes more details on the items listed above, plus dossiers on the other members of Andorra. In brief...

Carmen - Good leader, dedicated to Andorra, very secretive regarding Andorra's resources, easily angered
Vulcanus - Exceptional enchanter, profoundly arrogant, potential contract crafter for the House
Vibria - Focused on her dragon-based abilities and familial connection to Sigmundo, Vocis's opinions regarding her immaturity (i.e. Judged Unfairly) are downplayed because she quite literally knows where the bodies are buried
Solomon - Very devout, generally conservative with the Code, though the Sigmundo incident was an exception
Arachne - Sound tactical planner, a friend to the Tremere, summary of what Vocis knows about her defensive arrangements
Roberto/Pere/Arnau/Fleur - Very brief summaries based on first impressions