The library

I notice that some of our books have been rebound in resonant materials. Aurthor would express an interest if anyone managed to find resonant materials for the Mentem summa. He totally would go and search it up himself, but alas adventuring is not his area of expertise. Nor is finding rare Hermetic materials. Plus, he's busy with very important things, some of which involve getting drunk enough to offset his social awkwardness when trying to seduce women. Being drunk helps, right?

Hi raccoonmask! It's on Andros's to-do-list. Leaf, the Ghostly Librarian is also going on Resonant material quests, so one or the other will eventually get to that. Let's see, yes, Andros has lined up a Resonant material quest for Summer 1120, might come up with something appropriate.

Well, the way Aurthor's stats look, he's very good at portraying information, and kind of bad at being charming, so... The esteemed magus Aurthor is agnast that we haven't done the Mentem summa yet, because a magus's mind is his strongest weapon, and we should understand them better. He really hopes that he doesn't have to find any adventures himself, because he's a valuable teacher for the Covenant, and wouldn't leave a pretty corpse.

In a similar vein, since I'm trying to plan out Aurthor's studies for a few years... Are there particular books that people are planning on getting better-bound soon? I'm looking at Mentem and perhaps Magic Lore soon.. Aurthor seems very much a generalist, but Magic Lore would help him find a familiar and probably understand non-hermetic magics better.

Well, if Aurthor wants specific things, what is he willing to offer? We usually declare adventures for specific materials, so that the story makes sense. Certainly Aurthor is such a good writer that if he puts out a tractatus every year or two he would make everybody happy (Magic Theory-cough!/Corpus-cough/Creo-cough/Rego-cough/Magic Lore-cough) :smiley: without others asking too much in exchange.

Danaë the Mythic companion has resonant materials for Magic Lore (for 1 book). She planned on writing a tractatus herself (+3 Com), but she is Restless +3, so it hasn't happened yet. She is addicted to adventuring, so only requires a little bit of prodding, although she's less than interested in her Hermetic sodales's desires, Indifferent to magi +2. (Anyway, now that more people are in the game, she can act as a clearinghouse for vis, to some extent, what with her Mercere contacts, getting vis you want at better than regular trades. She also is going to be requesting magic items soon, and has a lot of vis to spend.

It would also help if you are looking for specific books; silveroak has said that every year there are a number of tractati for sale that are only available for that year. You could make it your job to pester the SG every year to see if there's something that's worth spending our vis/money! 8) We really haven't been using that opportunity.

I've got a bit of soul-searching lined up for Aurthor. Based on his (current)generalist nature and his flaws, he's going to spend a year or two reading. Aurthor noticed the Mentem book is currently not properly resonating, and based on his focuses, it's something he will want (if not him, he'll want SOMEONE to develop Intelligence-raising riturals), and having a better boosted book will push someone towards that sooner, which will help everyone. I want to raise Aurthor's Magic Lore, first to help him when he wants a familiar, and second, to help him as a Praxologist understanding non-hermetic magics. Getting our Magic Lore summa bound with resonant materials would be nice - I remember reading that non-hermetic books can't be enhanced with resonant materials, was that correct? I see the faerie lore book is, so I can suppose the magic lore book likely can as well.
After that, I'm actually planning on having Aurthor 'find a goal', and then READ EVERY TEACHING TRACTATUS IN THE LIBRARY. ALL OF THEM. If Markus or Mentor have a season where they're not doing other things, he may want to get them for a 1-on-1 session if he can arrange it, first. After that the magus will probably offer to write more books or teach more things for people, because of his desire to leave a great legacy. Once he gets the idea, he's going to try and get a gigantic teaching score and write a summae on Teaching.

Related to that... Aurthor would offer to help Danae with her goals... more on that in a different thread.

Oh reaaallly... silveroak, Aurthor would express interest in any tractati that are on (a) teaching, or (b) any organization lore for non-hermetic magical societies or cults.

according to covenants p. 88 only arcane abilities and arts can be made with resonant materials. Other books get an automatic +3 quality.

Tractatus available for purchase in 1119:
Intelligo: Quality 11
Muto: Quality 12
Vim: Quality 10
Area Lore Apulia: Quality 13
Language: Romani-Dumani: Quality 14
Artes Liberales: Quality 13
Philosophae: Quality 11
Infernal Lore: Quality 11

tractatus available in 1120:
Perdo: Quality 10
Intrigue: Quality 13
organization lore-Order of Hermes: Quality 16
Language: Berber: Quality 13
single weapons: Quality 13

Mundane books are purchased with silver, right? How much per mundane book?

The Hermetic Arts tractati, how expensive are they?

And finally, the Arcane lore tractatus, Infernal Lore, how much?

Thanks!

Mundane books are stated to be 1 pound of silver. That is really upper end cost, if you feel the need to negotiate I can calculate the lower end and a merchant roll can determine where in the middle you reach. However given the fact that all tractatus take 1 season to copy, the quality will have little relevance.

Hermetic tractatus cost 2 pawns of vis if it is quality 11 or higher, and 1 pawn if it is under 11- unless it is under 6 in which case someone is likely to throw it in is part of another deal.

Infernal lore can be purchased with silver.

For 1120, Andros brings his Terram Tractatus , "Unbreakable Island in a Sea of Foes", (Q13 with +2 Resonant materials) and his Great Weapon "Great Sword vs long sword, Observations" tractatus (Q14). Both were in the schedule, so I will add them with all the bells and whistles to the library.

Andros also brings Resonant materials for the following:

1 Me each for rebinding The Willfulness of Memory Level:15 Quality 15 and

Thoughts on Thinking Level:21 Quality:7

I'd imagine they'd take a year or so in being rebound, as the craftsmen are busy busy, I'll edit to that effect. So raccoonmask, Mentem is taken care of, for now.

which of the available books are being purchased?

Hmm, have to consult the Council, that could be a long process. Out of hand, we have lots of silver, so let's buy these:
Intrigue: Quality 13
organization lore-Order of Hermes: Quality 16
single weapons: Quality 13
Artes Liberales: Quality 13
Infernal Lore: Quality 11
Area Lore Apulia: Quality 13

Andros or Danaë will buy these, and then try to recover the cost or sell them to the covenant:
Muto: Quality 12
Intelligo: Quality 11

4 vis?

yes. it would be easier to buy them with the vis of account from the covenant than to spend physical vis.

available tractatus for 1121:
Concentration: Quality 11
Organization Lore: Spanish reconquista: Quality 14
Civil and Canon Law: Quality 13
Magic Lore: Quality 9
bows: Quality 12

All_of_them! Concentration at last! :open_mouth:

Ok, will go to the Council with Danaë who is the likely point of contact. She has lots of vis of account herself, but this should be a Covenant purchase.

available books for 1122:
Perdo: Quality 10
Rego: Quality 10
Herbem: Quality 14
Organization Lore: Holy Roman Empire: Quality 12
Organization Lore: Folk Witches: Quality 12
Language: Albanian: Quality 13

I think these would be good:
Organization Lore: Holy Roman Empire: Quality 12
Organization Lore: Folk Witches: Quality 12

Herbem: Quality 14

What do the other players think?