The Missing 5E Tribunal Books

Yes it does and I was just laminating the fact that though several of my works saw international distribution and I have been read by more people than her, my wife gets to hold it over my head that she is a published author and I am not.

(She is a biological research scientist and has a couple of published papers)

Sure. The world never was fair, was it?

1 Like

:rofl: :joy:

Don't know why, but I found that rather hilarious. I did have to put my foot down that I would not be going back to college to get my doctorate. I don't care how nice Dr & Dr InfinityzeN would sound

Robert Heinlein used to call it a paradox, or pairo'docs, or some such.

1 Like

Well Berengar Drexel already did one adventure on Sicilly. (In Sub Rosa)
His work in Sub Rosa was a bit light in detail but he seems to know his mediveal Italy

3 Likes

It looks like the Iberian Tribunal book might just need translation from Spanish.

7 Likes

Oh, that's interesting... here's hoping it incorporates the hooks out of F&F.

2 Likes

Would it be bad form to resurrect this and put in my two farthings? For the sake of expressing enthusiasm and support for this idea, I'll risk it.

I concur with the consensus here that a) I would love to see the tribunal books all brought up to 5th edition and that b) it is the 3rd edition ones which need it most, starting with Rome and then the translation/adaptation of the Spanish Iberia book. What I'd like to add to the conversation is the following.

Content aside (which has been pretty thoroughly discussed), 5th edition is so beautifully done and aesthetically pleasing that it is a pleasure to own a bookshelf full of them. I have seen it described as probably the most complete and coherent RPG ever published, and I agree. This issue of the seven missing books is a thorn in the side, though (of an admittedly slightly OCD soul). While the 4th edition books are nice in their own right and not that hard to adapt to 5th edition play, I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) would still much rather have the set completed. Much worse, though, is the thought of having the ugly little paperbacks from 3e sitting on the shelf beside the lovely 5e ones.

As has been brought up before, I for one would fully support either a subscription or kickstarter format to get these books published.

On the topic of content and what could be added to future books, there was a conversation about adding a listing of library books. While it's too late go back and add them to previously-published books and adding it to new ones would leave the issue unevenly covered, this is a very intriguing idea. How about (slightly off-topic but still apropos new 5e publications) a Liber Librorum, covering the libraries of all the Order in one tome?

8 Likes

You might be interested in the upcoming Iberia book, written by several natives to Iberia (I think - sorry if I'm mixing this up.) for whom it appears to be a masterpiece work of love. It's coming out or just came out in Spanish. There are hopes for translations because it looks like they've done some really excellent work; my Spanish is just too minimal to evaluate formally.

1 Like

Thank you. That is indeed an encouraging development. Here's hoping it will be translated--my Spanish is also minimal, though I find that I am able to read it and Italian sometimes at a low level through my knowledge of French and Latin (neither of which themselves are great). Although to be honest, I'd still rather have the Spanish 5e on my shelf than the English 3e one, lol.

2 Likes

@ MSduPre I also agree that a kickstarter format for 5e updates to Tribunal books would be an excellent format for them.

Also, while not quite a tribunal book, a book on mythic scandinavia which looks at some actual history instead of... whatever the hell ultima thule was doing... would be incredible. The 1200s was a very interesting and dynamic time for the region, and focusing on "vikings vikings vikings" (the viking era has been over for over a century in 1220) does it a disservice.

6 Likes

That's a fair point. And rather surprising, since AM is usually better than that on history. Maybe the Scandinavians should do what the Spanish did, and take the matter into their own hands.

Maybe in addition to a kickstarter or subscription, they should do an open call for submissions, for people who have an interest and expertise in a certain tribunal or region. Novgorod, for instance, written by Russians or Ukranians (or, wishful thinking, a team of them working together) would probably be better than Novgorod written by British and Americans. I'm put in mind of how Kingdom Come Deliverance brought an increased awareness of Mediaeval Bohemia to the larger world (myself included).

Also not a tribunal book, but I don't think Kabbalah ever got updated either, did it?

2 Likes

Kabbalah is part of the Mythic Judaism chapter of RoP:D.

Kabbalah got effectively updated in Realms of Power: Divine, and then again in the revised edition. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, well that's good then.

I absolutely agree with this. Based on how much work I put in my own Rhine Gorge, I have no doubt that people have gradually built up 5E tribunals for their games and that with some editing, the missing Tribunals could be filled in.

Regarding Scandinavia: the first Covenant in Sweden was in fact a Greek one emanating from the Varangian trade lanes, a bunch of Thebans jumped on a boat and settled in what was then the wild North. Up to you if the Covenant still stands to this day or whether it was close enough to Birka that it was destroyed by the Estonian vikings from Saaremaa (if so, this is obviously the work of the Order of Odin).

3 Likes

Were Stonehenge and Novgorod ever printed in hardback? It seems, from searching that they are only available in softcover and Levant and Alps only in hardcover.

As far as I recall, they were only printed in softcover.

2 Likes

I would imagine that Pendragon materials have a strong Arthurian flavour, just like Heirs to Merlin has a heavy dose of Geoffrey of Monmouth that I don't personally care for. The stuff he was concocting appeared in the mid 12th Century, whereas the Order of Hermes had been established in the British Isles since the early 9th Century and there would have been many older magi around who would have known what had really been going on.

1 Like