1228 Kriegeist ex Tytalus

Hermetic theurgy is a straightforward initiation, simply using the +9 from the prior ordeal
Theurgic spirit familiar is the +6 from a previous ordeal plus one season service initiating a lower level member of the society, as well as a sacrifice of vis.

Does MMF help with this?

(As a rule of thumb, if the (Technique + Form) proposed for the bond is less than 2 x Might, it is likely to reject the magus as not worthy.)

TMRE 82

yes. Finding an appropriate daimon for a familiar can take a lot of research (although you are likely to find a large number of inappropriate daimons in the process)

So not just like spending a season which includes research and summoning similar to the way Theurgic spells work? I might not make it this decade, but can you give me the rules?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but can you give me feedback on that item too?

Thanks.

I know how I would un this in a game, I need to consider how to do it in generation...

The system you have could work, just with magic lore instead of area lore and maybe a higher difficulty.

It says you can summon the Daimon you want as familiar, does that mean you need to invent an Invoke the Pact for that Daimon?

The first issue is that what I am doing already shifts the familiar away from being recognized as a person to being essentially equipment that you earn, which I am not really very comfortable with. Doing that with daimons is a lot to ask, because we aren't talking sentient animals but entities sometimes mistaken for gods.
On the other hand I recognize that there needs to be some way for you to actually get said familiar.

At least by the book, the normal process does involve summoning. But I get what you're saying.

What would you do if it was in-game?

I would take a season or more of research, they would find a potential familiar, summon the daimon and then roleplay the encounter to see if they were a good fit or not, repeat as necessary.

Makes sense. I think he probably tries to actually woo Lasa Vegoia, to be his wife and the mother of his apprentices. (Not as in actual offspring, of course.)

okay... I can find a few references to this name in different languages that appear largely unrelated to each other, so why don't you tell me what you are referring to here...

Sorry, shouldve said, TMRE 138

Please, do not assume that all examples from the books exist in the game world- this is part and parcel of the "equipment shopping" approach I despise. I would much rather you describe what sort of daimon you are looking for and beginning a process than try to "order from the catalogue"

ok, you're right, I shouldn't be shopping. I will think about what he looks for and get back to you.

Can you let me know about twilight and the item? Thanks.

Why did you end up in twilight trying to stabilize the discovery? I don't see any botches that would trigger twilight...
As to the item, the primary limitation is that reduction by 8 means 1/2 in each of 3 dimentions, which means that a 500 sq ft room with an 8 foot ceiling height (4000 cu ft) will be reduced to 125 sq ft at 4 foot height (500 cu ft), which will not fit into the box.
It will require a he requisit for things like wooden furniture, an animal requisit might be a good idea as a precaution.

Twilight was because when he rolled the simple die at stabilization he gained 2 warping.

re the item, 3 size mags will reduce 500 sq ft to 50, 5, .5; and .5 square ft fitting in an 8.5 inch box? Or do I need to do the operation including height (which will take four divisions to get to a small box - 4000 to .4)?

Walk me through that, because i don't see where the simple die roll can trigger a twilight episode.

If I may, here's a quote from HoH: TL about stabilizing the unknown during a breakthrough:

As a side affect to this stabilization process, you receive Warping Points from your attempts to understand this new magic. The number of Warping Points gained is the magnitude of the effect — a simple die. If you gain more than 2 Warping Points you must roll to avoid Wizard’s Twilight, as explained in the Wizard’s Twilight section of Ars Magica 5th Edition’s Hermetic Magic chapter (page 88). You can obviously mitigate the chance of gaining Warping Points by experimenting with lower
magnitude effects. However, this lengthens your original research process, since it is your accumulated effect magnitudes that ultimately add up to your Breakthrough. Experimenting with higher magnitude spells hastens you toward your Breakthrough and increases your risk of Wizard’s Twilight.

that explains- I was looking at experimentation in the core book trying to figure this out.