A walk in the garden (Summer 1235)

The path through the bushes seems to have disappeared after she passed through.

Carlos is unconcerned with the observations and ideas of others. His idea of how to best handle the situation is to play more music and maybe take another nap.

Everyone please roll per+awareness, 10 or higher will succeed

Per 2 + Awa 4 + 1d10=6 = 12. What does Bernat notice?

Carlos: Per -1, Awareness 3 (details), die roll 1d10=7
9, 10 for detail. Does that count?

Carlos is blissfully unaware of what Bernat spots- the beast may have had no appetite for confrontation, but it is sneaking up behind Carlos as he plays his instrument.

Yikes!!!

Bernat tries to shout a warning to Carlos, but through his stutter manages only an inarticulate grunt. However, he does throw himself on the beast, dagger raised to strike.

New initiative roll: 0 (Dagger) + Qik 2 + Encum 0 - wound 3* + 1d10=0 (sigh), botchd10=2; Init = -1

Carlos sees Bernat charging at him with a dagger, and his reaction is to roll out of the way while yelling [color=blue]WTF!?!
Quick +2, die roll 1d10=9, for an Initiative of 11.

The beast scores the same initiative as Carlos, leaping at the moment he starts trying to move, so he will at least have a defense roll against the attack (9)

Quik +2, Brawl 4, die roll of 1d10=5, equals a Defense of 11.
If it works, Carlos steps to the side to allow Bernat to crash into the beast.

Okay Bernat, you can attack now...

Lucia: Per 1 + Awareness 2 + (die roll of 1, followed by another 1, followed by a die roll of 4) 16 = 19.

Epona: Per 1 + Awareness 4 + die roll of 0 (botch check is a 6) = 5.

So, Lucia notices easily...Epona seems slightly distracted for some reason :smiley: .

Whoops...didn't notice a whole page had passed between the request for Awareness checks and now.

So, she yells, [color=gray]"Carlos, look out!" in Latin(3).

Bernat dives on the beast's head, aiming to plunge the dagger square between its eyes.

Attack: Dex 3 + SW 1 + Dagger 2 + 1d10 8 = 14

The beast rolls to one side avoiding the dagger and comes up at a new angle, again facing the group.(def 16)

The beast is ready to go again with an init of 3.

Not that I should complain since it is to our advantage. But why did the beasts initiative change?

[strike]because it is a new round and it rerolled, and got a zero. Everyone else should go ahead and roll for this round as well...[/strike]
never mind, that is how I have always played it, but apparently I was wrong...
is anyone else joining the fray who wishes to roll their initiative?

Aye. Epona, who has a dagger (but no armour, which effectively adds a +2 to her Initiative modifier from the character sheet) is going to go for Intiative. Hers is Init 2 + die roll of 8 = 10. She isn't very tough, but she is quick, so hers strategy would be more a quick in-and-out strikes and try to avoid getting mangled by the beast.

Lucia, for her part, will most likely be yelling encouragement and/or useless suggestions unless she sees an opportunity to duck in and punch it in the nose – she's a little hot-tempered and has the Brave +1 but not the Suicidal Flaw, so that's more of a "Oh, s***, if I don't we all die!" stratagem. Her Initiative, just to have them both on the same post, is 1 + die roll of 9 = 10, as well. Not bad.

Since it wasn't initiative I'll use the roll for the beast's attack, which gives it an 8 against Bernat.

In order to speed things along, I give permission for you to roll for Bernat since I can't easily right now. Until such time as the tactical situation changes, he will also favour staying clear and making darting strikes, with his wound on his mind.