Chapter 4b Twilight and Gloaming

[color=red]Festina lente, Marie mumbles to herself and follows Carmen half-angrily, half curious.

I have no idea what that means, but it appears Carmen got the desired reaction from her sodales :smiley:

Decimus follows and pays attention to everything that seems strange.

Dimir Taar don't like faeries.

He'll come, but let you do the talking, keeping instead his second sight opened.

Aside from his armor and all, he'll have cast

• Doublet of Impenetrable Silk on his clothes
  • Shriek of the Impending Shafts
  • Deflect the Fire (As Ward Against Heat and Flames, with range personnal)
  • Deflect the incoming Swords (+15 to soak vs metal or gemstone)

Hearing marie's advice, he won't draw his sword, but be ready nonetheless.
[color=red]
I don't like this. A good faerie is either a slave, or a charcoaled faerie. Viola learned this the hard way.

lol, I appreciate the man that can quote the old Flambeau addages. "The only good faerie is a charcoaled faerie!" Both Viola and Marie have learned this the hard way. Still, let us save roasting for a last resort. Remember our Oath.

Whoops, missed the most recent posts.

OK, if I count correctly, we have Carmen, Decimus, Dimir Taar, Marie, Astrid, Edward, and two other grogs entering the cavern, and we're leaving one grog to guard the entrance. Is that right?

Assuming I've got everything correct, I'll post more Monday (right now I'm behind on grading).

Scott

Carmen enters the cavern, trailed quickly by the ever-alert Edward (he's accustomed to guarding an impulisve maga). The rest of you trail in afterward, with Astrid bringing up the rear and keeping a sharp eye out for anything threatening.

The cavern is...dark. Darker than it should be. Edward holds a torch above his head, but it lights a circle that really should be bigger, and doesn't quite encompass the entire group.

The walls of the cave are indistinct in the dim and flickering light. Towards the entrance, they're rough, as might be expected. Deeper in, they seem smooth, as if water flowed there at some point. The cavern is too deep to see the other end.

Scott

Hmmm...
I pick up a rock or pebble and throw it as far as i can, in order to get an estimate as to how deep this cave is. I don't expect to strike the other end, maybe a curve or whatnot. If I hear no echo, then I will know that the cave is either a regio or that their is a pit efore us.

[color=red]Try again, Carmen, marie says, but cast some light spell on the rock before you throw it. Shouldn't be too hard for a Flambeau!
Marie grins at her, but their is no challenge in her eyes, only --- amusement.

Judging by the time it takes for the pebbled to hit something, the far wall can't be more than a dozen strides away. There's definitely an echo, though, which suggests that an opening somewhere must lead much deeper into the mountain.

Scott

Okay, I grab another rock and make it glow with light CrIg 10 (Base 4, +1 Touch +1 Diameter) Sta 0 + Cr 10 + Ig 4 + 2 for Loud Voice & Bold Gestures + (aura and a die roll), equals 16 + (aura and a die roll).

OK, you have a smokeless torch now. It doesn't show much more than the regular torch, but at least it doesn't flicker. When you throw it, you can trace its path to the fall wall...but this time, you can see a door-sized (and surprisingly rectangular) opening not far from where it hits.

Scott

I ask Edward how far Viola went into the cave. Was it through that doorway?

Marie nods when Carmen asks her question. Although she'd never admit it she is impressed with the Flambeau's quick mind.

She also advances a few paces, picks up the rock by levitation and shoots it through the opening.

Edward scatches his head for a moment, then replies in perfect Latin, "Hm...no...I think it was a bit over to the right, actually, I don't remember seeing that tunnel before. But it was dark, you know?"

The rock levitated by Marie flies straight through the opening, resulting momentarily in a distant echo.

Scott

[color=red]Well, one of us should take the bold step of going in there. I volunteer, and I give Marie permission to peek into my mind should I loose my sanity like Viola did. Now that I think about it, there is some CrMe ritual that returns mental lucidity. I am not sure if we have a copy of it in the library or not.

(OCC, we do have the lab text for that spell but not a casting tablet. One of us would need to take the time to actually learn it)

[color=red]Thoughts? Ideas? Alternatives?

[color=green]Dimir Taar
[color=red]Glamour :unamused: I hate these

[color=red]There must be. You can't rush in there blindly.
[color=blue]InVi 04 (Detect magic of third magnitude or higher), +1 touch = 05
Could this detect faerie magic?

In 05, Vi 10, Sta 02

(ooc: Marie isn't much of a mind reader.

How about making some kind of dummy to send ahead (Marie is good at rego anything) to interact with whoever is there. I think it would be fun for the fairies to interact with a straw doll that symbolizes us).

There also is the simple option of just saying "hi".)

[color=red]Ah, yes. Well then; Hola! Buenos Dias!

Waits for a response...

It could, provided the magic is strong enough to be detectable by a low-level spell, and provided it's not masked by something, and so on. What would you cast it on?

Scott